No commissions for 7 days - should I worry?
    HI everyone,
    I am usually more of a lurker than a talker around here but I am really learning to value to advice and feedback I've been getting from the ABW mavens.
    I could really use some advice now...
    I have a few websites and one of them, my biggest project ever, is a virtual apparel shopping mall targeting a particular special-needs niche. I only launched it a month ago but I did some banner ads and seeded some buzz and traffic has been very good - close to 4.5K visits. I am a member of a about 30 apparel affiliate programs via major networks and I have probably driven them about 1,500 clicks since launch. In the first few weeks I generated about $1,200 in sales - I couldn't believe it, but I was very happy. I thought this was a promising start to a business that will hopefully grow.
    Now since last Monday I have not generated a single sale on any network. My traffic and click-thrus have been great, even better than earlier, and yet every day I see that there were no sales anywhere. Before I was getting one every other day.
    On one hand, I'm in this biz for the long-term and I'm not going to freak out over this kind of hump at the very beginning. On the other hand, it just seems so strange to go so suddenly from regular sales to zilcho.
    Is this something I should be concerned about?
    Any recommendations about things that I should check or do?
    Thanks!

15 years and counting
    It's typical of what Google is doing. They will give you some traffic at the launch of the new site then they will hide your listing for a few days or ever. They want you to understand you can make money with your site but you'll have to feed Google pocket to keep your traffic.
    Also, sales are seasonal. You'll noticed a decrease in sales before Thanksgiving, then it will increase again after Cyber Monday.

Just to clarify, like I said in my post, this is not an SEO site. I am getting my traffic from banner ads and social media buzz. Traffic has been increasing, not decreasing.

Right before Thanksgiving people are using their money for traveling and family things.

Sales pick up again right after Thanksgiving is over with.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

15 years and counting
    If you're using banner ads, have you heard of banner blindness? If you are going to run a long ad campaign, it's important to change your banner ad often and prevent banner blindness.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Hey there, it sounds like it could be a combination of the above listed factors and then some. I would start by contacting a few of your top producing affiliate managers and asking them for feedback on whether their programs are producing sales, if there have been any technical difficulties that might be contributing to the lull/halt in sales and if they can make any recommendations for optimizations to their promotions on your site.

Seasonality can have a lot to do with it as mentioned. Make sure your promotions are seasonally-relevant. People are Black Friday & Cyber Monday focused right now, and already Christmas Shopping. Do you have sections/features on your site which target those shoppers? Are you running your own seasonal campaigns wherever your own site banners/campaigns are being advertised on other sites and in your social media platforms? Make sure messaging is seasonally-relevant too.

You may want to place a few test-purchases through your own links (or ask your affiliate managers to) to ensure tracking is working effectively just to rule out any issues there though if you haven't seen any sales on any network it's likely not a tracking issue but still couldn't hurt to rule it out.

Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

I don't think you should worry about anything, after all, you still got large number visits, And you also should understrand that some business are seasonal, a peak then a valley, a few weeks without earning, that's normal.

e-Gazer, have you ever had an affiliate manager say they aren't producing sales? I mean, I see your point 100% that it would be great to get honest feedback. Only problem is, AMs hate to admit when things are going badly. I agree w/ everything else you say tho..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

one of the things i do when i see an inexplicable drop is change out the links that i am using. a good portion of the time things bump back up. I wish i knew why this happens (my cynical side says some kind of skimming). it is worth a try. good luck to ya

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post
    one of the things i do when i see an inexplicable drop is change out the links that i am using. a good portion of the time things bump back up. I wish i knew why this happens (my cynical side says some kind of skimming). it is worth a try. good luck to ya
    It could also be due to some link structure change on the merchant site and new links have the right structure. Not all merchants are smart about updating old links and only focus on adding new links.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread