Affiliate Manager
    Advice Please on 800 number Support Line
    Hello,

We have an 800 number on our site. It is not prominent and it is there strictly for support. (It is impossible to do business with us over the phone. The borrower or lender must go through an online application process.)

How do I handle affiliates who are concerned when they see the number and think it may circumvent their sale. (It can't.) I have explained this in my description.

Anything else you might recommend?

Thank you.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hi Glenn, you use a source referrer in your affiliate links. When they hit the site the server would suppress the 800 number. This would only be for affiliate traffic. Depending on the network you are with it can be automatically added to the redirects.

I don't understand the paranoia. A Support toll free number is a good thing; I generally don't buy from anyone that I can't contact easily and by phone. My own opinion is that if you can't explain the difference between a SUPPORT phone number and a SALES phone number to some of your affiliates, then maybe you should look for different affiliates. (If they don't believe you, they can call the number themselves and try to make a purchase).
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In the past added affiliate 800 numbers to a lead gen program and leads went up 40%. Those affiliates actively promoted their 800 numbers.

I manage a number of fitness equipment programs with average orders of $1500, top affiliates are concerned that sales are going to 800 numbers because the consumer wants more info before they submit payments.

I wouldn't want to drive away either of those affiliates.

Affiliate Manager
    Perhaps I am anticipating a problem that doesn't exist, although I did have one affiliate ask me about it. I told him it was just for support and (like Shuvee said) he should call it and try to sign up for our program.

Thanks for the advice guys.

As an affiliate, I prefer merchants who have 800 support lines. They convert better, because customers have confidence to order when they see the 800 numbers. I realize some percent will buy over the phone, but I believe the increased conversion ratio more than makes up for it.

I understand I'm in the minority with that opinion, but that's what I think.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    As an affiliate, I prefer merchants who have 800 support lines. They convert better, because customers have confidence to order when they see the 800 numbers. I realize some percent will buy over the phone, but I believe the increased conversion ratio more than makes up for it.

I understand I'm in the minority with that opinion, but that's what I think.
    Mike,

So you think that my 754 number is not as good as 800 when it comes to conversions?

I think a toll free number tells consumers that a merchant is there for them when and if they need anything, and that they're a successful, professional business. Just having a local number has the feel of a fly by night company. (Just having an email or contact form is even worse.) The more trustworthy consumers find a company's web site, the more likely they'll buy.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Makes sence Mike, do you think my site looks trust worth it?

Maybe I should get a 800 number.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread