ok, I am about to make an Ipod purchase. Does anyone have feedback on the 4 Gig versus 20 Gig Ipod? I know the storage size is the obvious difference and I know the 4 Gig is a bit smaller, which also means a different accessory (charger for the car, fm modulater etc...). Not a big deal, I am only considering the external battery pack for long trips. The 4 Gig has up to 8 hrs and the 20 Gig has up to 12 hours.

Anyone have any first hand experience or in the same situation? Actually, I think audio books are cool, anyone know the average size of one "normal" audio book?

Thanks in advance!

Why not take a look at the iRiver 120. I bought myself one and I am delighted with it. 20GB capacity, has double the battery life of the Ipod 16 hours, USB 2.0, makes a great backup device too. Also has a built in FM radio. I love it, plus its just $299.

ABW Ambassador
    I ended up with the 20gig ipod.

Few reasons.

First the design of the mini, the top and bottom edges are sharp, the regular ipod has smoothed edges. Pick each one up in your hand and you can feel the difference. I tend to run with my mp3 player in my hand, so it made a difference. I have overly large hands, so if you have small hands this might not be as noticable.

The mini is only a little smaller than then standard ipod.

I use my ipod as a remote drive at times, so the extra 16gb is a giant bonus. And you can transfer files between a mac and pc.

At 20gb, i have so much of my music on, I don't find myself going back through and having to decide if i should add or remove any items from my collection, at 4gb, I would have to choose how to load my ipod for a long trip, not that i would listen to that much music, but it stinks to be in the mood for something and find it is not loaded (problem i had with an earlier mp3 player i owned).

Audio books are not overly big, and they are great on the ipod. For anyone not used to audiobooks or even books on tape, if you go for long drives, they will pass the time much faster than music.

Which ever ipod you choose, check out
    http://www.ephpod.com/
    It is "replacement" software for itunes. since I do not purchase music online but instead buy and rip cds, i don't use itunes to buy music and find ephpod superior to itunes for song management.

Chet

iRiver = bad horrible menu and slow.

go with the iPod the 20Gig isn't that much bigger then the 4gig that is if you get the new click wheel version and the new iPods have 12 hours battery life. the 4gigs only have 8.

Thanks everyone! I off to see the wizard... I mean, to pick up the 20 gig Ipod. Much appreciated!

Ok, got it home last night, stuggled a few hours with getting the PC to recognize the Ipod. This morning, figured out that the USB ports on the front of my machine (assume they come with the case) are not certifieid (2.0). The rear ones right from the motherboard are.

Have been ripping CD's most of the day. Up to 4 Gigs and counting. hehe. Hey, anyone set their ACC encoder up to 256 kbps?

Go big, 20 gig all the way.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread