In-house programmer OR Outsource for Data Feed Work?
    Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer. I am almost finished with building our affiliate website. I have been using a hired programmer to do most of the work. It now appears I will want to be an affiliate (publisher) for multiple merchants so I can have a price comparison style website.

My existing programmer wants several hundred dollars to setup each additional data feed.

Is this something a non technical person can learn to do themselves? What computer programming knowledge is required?

What's a rough estimate to outsource and have someone else do this for me? Per data feed for company's like Overstock.Com, Staples.Com and OneWayFurniture.Com?

Thanks all.

Good Luck!!!

Is this something a non technical person can learn to do themselves? What computer programming knowledge is required?
    Many affiliates write their own scripts using php and MySql. One place to learn is at http://forums.devshed.com/

As for costs for outsourced work, sorry I have no idea.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by 2busy; November 17th, 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: unlinked URL

Thanks so much 2busy! I will check that out.

Anyone else have and experiance with outsourcing data feeds? Can I have a programmer write a script and then use that same script to inport data feeds from multiple CJ merchant's?

Thanks again!

Here is a script that does what you want and its real easy to use. I've used it for all of my sites since 2005.

You can use it for datafeeds from any network. Price Comparison Script | Price Tapestry

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks so much Burgerboy. I really need some help understanding the script that my programmer wrote in PHP and whether or not this TapestryScript you suggested will work (is compatible) with my website.

Do you do the programming yourself BurgerBoy? If so, would you be willing to take a look at what I have and make some specific suggestions? If not, could you put me in touch with your programmer so I can have him/her take a look?

For a price of course

Thanks so much!

I am not a programmer although I have learned quit a bit about using php since I purchased the script from the programmer that build it.

He has an e-mail address listed on his site where you can contact him.

You purchase Price Tapestry from the link I posted above for you.

The programmer that build the script will give you unlimited support via e-mail, and unlimited download of the program and any updates to it, and they have a support forum that will contain the answers to almost anything you could have a problem with using the program.

Thanks again BurgerBoy.

I noticed the script appears to be for the UK. Are you in the UK? Using their script for a website in the UK? Will this work for a US website?

Thanks so much!

I live in Kentucky in the USA.

In the script you select how you want the prices shown. Dollars, Yen, Pesos etc.

My merchants are from CJ, Avantlink, Linkshare, Google etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Learn how to do it yourself. Outsourcing your programming costs will get very expensive over time. Moreover, it reduces your flexibility. Finally, it makes you wholly dependant on the person who set up everything.

It is pathetically easy to set up the necessary scripts to run a php/mysql datafeed and display products on your website. It will be a bit more complicated for a price comparison site that searches for identical products across multiple datafeeds, for sure (which I don't have), but it still isn't rocket science.

As for the "ready" made scripts, hmm...maybe they work well for others. But I'll pass. Building pages that are identical to 100's or 1000's of other affiliates out there has proven not to work for me. Of course, it just might work for you.

The Devshed link provided is a fine reference source. But I don't think it's the place to go to learn the abc's of using php/myql to pull info from datafeeds and display it in various ways on your website. Instead, get one of the php/mysql books.

The book that worked for me to learn how to make dynamic pages off a datafeed was "build your own database driven website using php and mysql." It's an older book, but I'm sure there's an updated version available. While my first dynamic pages weren't the best, the key thing is to simply learn the handful of things you need to do. Once the lightbulb turn on and you understand how everything works, it's a simple matter of hunting around for new php scripts and methods you can use to display the info from a datafeed.

I put off learning this stuff forever, but in 2007 finally started to learn what I need to know. Now, I wouldn't even think of using a pre-built script. By learning how to do it yourself, you can use this stuff for so much more than just "displaying datafeeds." Php/MySQL is wonderful thing to know for all things related to web sites - not just affiliate marketing and datafeeds. And best of all, you really don't have to know that much. Unless you're writing a full blown app or CMS, all that's really need to know to pull stuff from a datafeed are a few simple queries and a few simple scripts and php statements. That's it.
    Last edited by jimh009; November 24th, 2010 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added Info.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread