ABW Ambassador
    A bagel virus got into my pc through email. I use microsoft ie explorer to read my mail. That infected email was a new one and was not opened at all.

How could an unopened email infect my pc?

How do we prevent such problems?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How could an unopened email infect my pc? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The email reader that's accessed from Internet Explorer is actually Outlook Express.

By default, OE has a "preview pane" set to show. If you don't change this, then when you select an email, it "previews" it in the pane before you actively open it.

The thing is, when an email comes up in the preview pane, IT *IS* OPENED for all intents and purposes. "Preview" a virus, and you're infected!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do we prevent such problems? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disable the infernal preview pane. I do it with all my new email accounts first thing.

Here's how I have gone about doing that. If done right away (before anyone has a chance to email you) it's secure enough, but with an established "account" you'll want to be sure it's free of viruses first (since one last email will preview)...

In the Inbox, select View--&gt;Layout and uncheck the "Show Preview Pane" box. The Pane will then disappear and stay gone unless you recheck the box for some reason.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    thanks leader.

I disabled that preview pane.

If you do use OutLook express consider moving to Microsoft Outlook - there are better toys and the virus threat is depleted by well over 80%.

Better yet try Eudora

If you fully patch IE and Outlook Express at Windows Update then it should protect against the trick the virus was using. (If you're running Windows XP, don't bother with the Service Pack just yet, concentrate on the IE and Outlook Express fixes).

Outlook is *expensive* and actually has some of the same vulnerabilities as IE and Outlook Express unless you patch it (for Office, you need to visit Office Update.

I use Eudora. I think it's a little more complex than Outlook Express, but much more powerful. I think it's about $40 or so, but it's got a good spam filter and security features.

Alernatively, I hear that Mozilla Thunderbird is first class and also free. (You can download Firefox at the same time).

With whatever product you use, you need to keep it up to date. The same applies to Mozilla browsers (there's a serious bug that's just been fixed, so if you use Mozilla or Firefox it's time to upgrade). Personally I avoid IE and Outlook Express like the plague.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Outlook is *expensive* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Checks*

$84.99 (Amazon.com)! To get & send email!

LOL There's not enough "toys" they could add, that'd entice me to pay that for any email program.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The latest Mozilla.com Firefox and Thunderbird are the best choice to recommend to our shoppers. Of course those caught spreading this virus/malware crap should get 5 years in solitary confinement in a Turkey prison.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I haven't heard mention of any standard antivirus program yet in this thread . . . was one being used?

Although you should have a good AV program, you can't rely on them catching these really fast spreading viruses. It takes several hours for the AV vendor to update signature files, and if your AV is only set to update once a day you can be royally screwed.

In my real life work, we check for new AV updates every thirty minutes and still get hit
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Just agreeing that Firefox and Thunderbird are the way to go.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread