We seem to be the target of some sort of clickbot, or at least some sort of automated process that is triggering our clicks on CJ.

It started yesterday.

I've been trying to identify what it is, but it's buried in the middle of Googlebot, Slurp and Scooter, plus a few others that seem to have decided right now is a good time to spider our server.

Anyone had any experience with this recently? If so, can you post something that I can use to shut off this a*****e.

CodeJockey.
    (Not quite desperate, but getting there.)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Are you talking about some Click cheat script draining PPCSE accounts with phoney clicks?

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

quote:
    cheat script draining PPCSE

No. Some sort of process is causing our click counts on CJ to skyrocket.

I've been looking through our logs for the past hour or so trying to identify the source, and I simply don't see any pattern to it. I'm starting to think the numbers are coming from 'elsewhere'.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Try looking for the IP address of the offender in your logs - this is usually a good way of tracking down the offender.

I once found that an ip address owned by AllPosters.Com was crawling all my links on a monthly basis. When I emailed them to ask why they just failed to respond, so I barred the address from all my sites.

I've also seen another big crawler recently, the name was something like Net Telligence or something. They seemed to be gathering information for marketing purposes according to their website.

quote:
    IP address of the offender

O.k... I cleared out a lot of the non-essential information and I think I see a pattern, and it may not be automated after all.

It actually looks like someone is methodically going through our sites and clicking on the links. There was a big whack of clicks last night, there was a gap overnight and it's started again this morning.

I checked the ARIN (IP) numbers, which happen to all resolve to Guess-What-Three-Letter-Service?

I'm not sure what to say.

Thanks for the tips anyways.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Strange, I had sort of the same thing happen about a week or two ago , but two a much lesser degree . Seems as though someone came to the site, clicked on as many diferrent CJ advertiser links as they could find. Links that haven't been clicked on in ages all got 1 click through .

I wondered if maybe someone at CJ was going around testing links randomly to check across the board for a pattern of certain advertisers not tracking properly.

At least, this is what I would like to believe, as it makes sense and I like the idea of someone at CJ "on patrol" .

I thought it was some sort of automated process, mainly because we don't do that volume of clicks off that particular site. Once I cleared out everything, I saw the pattern immediately: index/sub-index/content.

If it is whom I think it is, then I'm just gonna ignore it... I'm now 'monitoring' the situation.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    who do you think it is

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

quote:
    who do you think it is

We call her The Crazy Lady.

She'll do stuff like this and then be stupid enough to send us an email saying that she's done it, along with threats and stuff in the email.

We used to just ignore her, but now make the effort of reporting it. There will be a gap of four/five months (enough time to forget about her) and she'll do it again.

More of a pain in the a** than a problem.

CodeJockey.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I guess it takes all kinds on the internet.

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread