Question What's with the Old Links
    I run a report for all of the links that produce revenue from the previous day. I have been noticing that half of them are expired links. Seriously, some of my affliates are still sending people to our site with our summer, free shipping deal.

Apparently, they are still driving traffic, but doesn't this just upset the customers when they get to the site and see that there is no free shipping?

I have much better links with better deals up now, but they seem hesitant to change out their old links.

I have tried emailing them to let them know that there are new links up, but I have had no responses.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Susan

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, it does upset the visitors if they are going through affiliate links that offer something that is not available at the merchant website.

If your affiliates are not responding to your concerns, and they are not updating their websites, then do you really want those affiliates in your program? That is something that you need to consider.

Surprise
    Hey Julian-

Thanks for the advice. I wrote one of our affliates, pointed out the old links then told him about all the new offers.

He wrote me back, apologized and said he would update them right away. Who knew it was that easy.

I had tried this before with some of the huge coupon sites, but they don't seeem to have time to answer their emails.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

Susan

It's always a good idea to change images out when promos change; just replace them with an updated image with the same name as the old one.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

What network are you on?

LS, SAS, Avant, PJ, GAN, (soon CJ ) all have some sort of automation of coupons, limited time offers.

-----

Also I will like to note - in some cases it can be autobloggers / scrappers stealing pages off affiliates sites.
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    It's always a good idea to change images out when promos change; just replace them with an updated image with the same name as the old one.
    Yes, you can "automate" those changes for your affiliates. To many affiliates, you are (literally) one of hundreds of merchants with whom they work and promote. Those affs do not have time to make frequent changes.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

If your affiliates are not responding to your concerns, and they are not updating their websites, then do you really want those affiliates in your program?
    It depends on the type of affiliate..

For content sites, it's pretty easy to leave stray links on older pages that are still indexed by google (and receiving traffic). Not every affiliate has a database - for many links are changed manually. It doesn't make them a bad affiliate...

You do want to show the most recent offers from merchants, but it doesn't always happen. I'm just sayin'..

No excuse for big sites with additional resources.

I run a report for all of the links that produce revenue from the previous day. I have been noticing that half of them are expired links.
    If the old links are producing revenue it couldn't be bothering the visitors too much. In some cases old links don't matter as much as other cases. If the link isn't supposed to lead to some temporary landing page, but land on the merchant's main page, the shopper/visitor might not know that they are even old links. A lot depends on the vertical and the program - but if the links are turning up in revenue reports the affiliate(s) may have just elected to let sleeping dogs lie. If it ain't broke, they don't fix it.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    It depends on the type of affiliate..

For content sites, it's pretty easy to leave stray links on older pages that are still indexed by google (and receiving traffic). Not every affiliate has a database - for many links are changed manually. It doesn't make them a bad affiliate...

You do want to show the most recent offers from merchants, but it doesn't always happen. I'm just sayin'..

No excuse for big sites with additional resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If the old links are producing revenue it couldn't be bothering the visitors too much. In some cases old links don't matter as much as other cases. If the link isn't supposed to lead to some temporary landing page, but land on the merchant's main page, the shopper/visitor might not know that they are even old links. A lot depends on the vertical and the program - but if the links are turning up in revenue reports the affiliate(s) may have just elected to let sleeping dogs lie. If it ain't broke, they don't fix it.
    Both are right on.

For some of us who do programming by hand, while we would like to have all links totally up-to-date, it is impossible. IF we are advised by a merchant/am of specific old links, and where they are, we can change them out, but there are not enough hours in the day to constantly check every link.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread