Google Going Local?
    I was sent this and found it quite interesting.
    Video: Google Turning into a Local Search Engine?
    I also read where Google is looking at buying Groupon?

Interesting, I agree with a lot of his predictions but I don't now about the extent of google turning 70% local seems a little extreme.

I do think they are gearing up towards a lot more search results in local and I think a lot of new websites will be trying to get online and get in the listings. Phonebooks are about dead.. I think the Internet will be getting some of the old people who are still stuck in the same old put an ad in the yellow pages every year crowd.

I also agree that some major changes are coming next year in the algorithm and search results. I just have a feeling about it, some stuff has just been too stagnant and played out. I also think it will improve the quality of searches to be more local to many big nation wide players have filled up the first few pages of results and a large amount of google search results have become too monopolized and lost quality from it.

I am ready for some changes, I have competitors that have been sitting to stable on a bunch of expensive paid for links it would be nice to see them shaken up a little. But i also have sites that might lose traffic if they get put behind local results. It will be interesting.
    Last edited by zire; November 19th, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Google has been doing local for a long time, they are always working on improving it. It sounds like sorting the local search is the new thing. If you have your address on your website or even better have a Google maps link that pinpoints your site Google can pick this up.

For example, if someone types in Pizza into Google, they are not going to get the Pizza Hut headquarters, they are going to get the Pizza Hut closed to them. Also, Google is smart enough to know how far you will go for a Pizza. If you are in San Francisco you will find Google only gives you a results of Pizza places within a mile if that. If you are in Idaho Google knows you are probably willing to drive 5 miles or more for a pizza and give you these results.
    Last edited by Chris D; November 20th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

So what do you think the effect will be on Affilate Marketing?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    It will be push further down any site not owned by Google or their advertisers paying a fee to get listed. Google is not a real search engine anymore just a smart directory powered by keywords. They expect these local businesses to pay a fee, later. Google has no more room for free listings. They have used for years free content from affiliate sites. They think they don't need them anymore.

I have seen the shift actually help a lot of clients, especially local businesses that are franchises. Many haven't been allowed to have a website and the GP listing is giving them a way around that to drive more traffic their way. I think the Google Instant has had a significant impact in organic seo for those targeting long tailed phrases but, the local side has been improving.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    By the way things are sounding I think a lot of affiliates might have to redo their online strategies.
    Say someone is ranking in "yoga" all the sudden "yoga" will bring up local yoga studios and they might be on the 3rd-4th page with their informative site?

It will be interesting to see how it goes especially how local major cities like L.A. or N.Y. will be, how many local listings will they pull up before it will give national results?

A lot of people might have to focus on multiple keywords or different search terms. But it is hard to say they probably don't want to shake the boat to hard, they have a good thing going to much radical change could mess it up.
    Last edited by zire; November 23rd, 2010 at 05:09 PM.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread