Hi All,

I was just curious to know if any of you have paid for inclusion in a popular directory. I see a trend in directories charging for inclusion.

What do you think about paid inclusion?

The way I look at it:

Why pay, If you get on google and yahoo/overture, you will also be in all their clients like:

MSN
    AOL
    Excite
    Ask Jeeves
    Infospace
    AltaVista
    AllTheWeb
    Hotbot
    Lycos
    Netscape
    Teoma

I would be inclined to think that over 90% of all internet searches are performed at one of those sites, so why pay?

Am I wrong about this? Maybe Im overlooking something?

In my view, directories don't tend to generate a lot of traffic, but they can provide good-quality links (e.g. for PageRank)

Affiliate sites aren't welcome at most directories though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Both of the things Dynamoo said.

There are enough to go around though, and paid inclusion into at least one directory (or strong-PR site) should be on anybody's "new site launch" checklist. This is almost always a worthwhile investment, which is more than can be said for almost anything else that costs money.

save your money and send it to me... your new most favorite charity...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Let's say the directory has a high alexa rating of 15 000. Would you consider it then?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chabbs:
    Let's say the directory has a high alexa rating of 15 000. Would you consider it then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No. Haven't seen any credible evidence that Alexa is any more than a best-guess estimate of traffic patterns deduced by a limited number of users of a spyware toolbar. As it relates to my sites, it's so-called rankings are wildly inaccurate.

I put more credence in a Ouija Board's advice than I do in anything related to Alexa.

Wayne

Have I paid? No.

Have I been paid? Yes. (Inclusion is free, but my directories charge for rank. BTW, they don't pass pagerank, just traffic.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    No. Haven't seen any credible evidence that Alexa is any more than a best-guess estimate of traffic patterns deduced by a limited number of users of a spyware toolbar. As it relates to my sites, it's so-called rankings are wildly inaccurate.

I put more credence in a Ouija Board's advice than I do in anything related to Alexa.

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously alexa is not accurate but it gives a good indication of the traffic that a site gets. I would assume that a site that is ranked at 200 000 gets less traffic than a site that is ranked at 15 000. I could be wrong. What do you think?

Two years ago I paid Inktomi to be included in their directory (within 48hrs.) That was for my first site. That was fine because I was excited to see my first site on the web and getting visitors.

But now with my experience, for all of my other sites, I realized that the free crawl was better since it would become expensive to fork over x-amount of $ for every new site I made. Eventually the free crawlers find your new sites anyway.

Alexa is a pretty vague indication of traffic, but yes a site with rank 15,000 gets more traffic that rank 200,000. Alexa results start to get accurate the higher they get.

However, it's your position within the directory which is important. I have a site listed in Yahoo (Alexa traffic rank = 1) that gets no more than a couple of hits a week from that source.

What *is* important is that the directory should use direct links rather than redirects (ignore Yahoo for a moment). Most directories are more use as a source of PageRank_etc rather than traffic. Poking around my sites' stats, I'd say that directories contribution directly to significantly less than 1% of traffic. However, the PageRank_etc primarily *from* directory listings is important to my sites overall.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcjordan:
    Have I paid? No.

Have I been paid? Yes. (Inclusion is free, but my directories charge for rank. BTW, they don't pass pagerank, just traffic.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similar situation here...with the twist being that they can pay to be reviewed faster. Offer free listings in a popular niche and sometimes it becomes cumbersome just keeping up with the reviews (even after deleting all the xxx and gambling submissions). I usually get a couple of paid submissions a month. I think a big factor would be how targeted would the traffic coming from the directory be? If you sell widgets and that directory is the #1 widget directory...

Many moons ago when paying $300 to yahoo would get you in for life I paid. I wouldn't pay anymore.

I miss the days of free listing in Yahoo...

I recently paid for a business.com listing on one site. No traffic yet, but I'm banking on a bit of PR and quality link text paying for the listing in the long run. We'll see...

I certainly wouldn't pay for directory spots with all sites, but if you have a site that converts well and makes decent money, directories might be a good investment.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    In my early days, I paid for one of those submits services (the one GoDaddy sells as an add-on). It was crap.

I need to know where the best use of my time is - does anyone have a list of links to places (a dozen or less) where they've been successful at submitting their site info for free?

And the business.com idea sounds worth looking into. Have the the same about the yellow pages and biz listings within MSN - anyone have a short list of quality pay places where links can be established?

If the link page on the directory has high PR, it can help you with getting good ranks from search engines to get traffic.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

I use directories. You have to monitor them to see if you are getting any hits. But if you get one that's being used by lots of people, it can be very good. Also they tend to be a little more targeted to specific group of people.

If you get a bad one, you'll see nothing.

I find that the more links you have on the web. The more chances someone will find your site. Its up to your site to bring them back.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread