Talking Getting around Gatekeepers
    How do you get around everyone running interference so that you can talk directly to the business owner and close the deal?

Usually if I can talk directly to the owner I can close it in about 10 minutes, but so much energy is wasted swimming upstream.

Suggestions anyone...

Not very helpful- but my personal opinion is that there isn't one tried and true method. Understandably Gatekeepers are there for a reason and you sometimes risk just as much as you gain by trying to go around.

The biggest thing, I've found, is please for the love of all that is holy, understand what my company does. If you are trying to pitch me, without knowing anything about my business, I have no patience for you.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    Head of Affiliate Marketing- Zoro.com
    affiliate@zoro.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I call the sale department which picks up the phone, then with someone on the line try to establish a conversation and see if you can move upstream. If that fails send a fax, no one does that any more and if it is addressed to the president it will get to them.

I hate being pitched, especially by a sales rep at some new media marketing company who assumes I'm a brick and mortar guy, just dipping my toe in the Internet waters.

Most of them these days start out by name dropping other companies, like their "partnership" with Facebook is bigger than just an API agreement, and like the name dropping says something other than "we have nothing to offer, but we know of a company who does."

I answer the phones myself more often than not, but I generally decide in the first few seconds that I'm not to be bothered, and then act as my own gatekeeper. The only folks I do talk to are real, know what they're talking about, don't assume I don't know what they're talking about, have a value proposition that matches the goals of my business, and understand that I'm busy and don't want to be pitched.

That said, what are you pitching, and what type of companies are you targeting? The what and who makes a difference to how companies will handle the calls, and how best to get through.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Ask to speak to the person who signs the checks. :-) It's direct and just might get you through.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Call early in the morning or after 5pm. Tried and true cold calling technique.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The Mary Kay Method call 5 or 10 minutes before lunch and end of day.

Talking
    I appreciate the input everyone.

I agree with Groupongaljuj that you have to know what the company does in the first place. And with Eathan, that you shouldn't pitch someone like they don't know jack about marketing or the internet.

I oftentimes run into very savvy business owners that just don't have the time to make it on the internet.

To answer your q's Eathan, I market local and mobile seo (primarily Google Places) for geo-specific businesses, i.e. dentists, franchises, insurance agents, real estate, repair services, etc.

I am pitching them first page placement in Google within 60 days or they don't pay until they are there. (which has not happened yet).

I have found that whenever I get with the owner, the conversation lasts about 10 minutes and then they are ready to do something. I feel that occasionally a lot of time is wasted in over-educating everyone else if I cannot reach the owner directly the first time. That is why I put it up to the group.

If anyone else has some thoughts on it I welcome them

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread