Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't imagine anything more deflating and discouraging than getting a "motivational" email from a merchant filled with the exciting news about how much better everyone else is doing than you are.

Yeah, right, like I just get all fired up when I read what the top ten in the program are doing when I have had few if any sales for that program.

Oh, and I am also so thrilled to learn that there is a contest with some big prize that I apparently will have no hope of winning, too.

Sure it is sour grapes but tell you what those "motivational" emails make me want to drop the program just to get off their stupid spam list which is a real downer. I wonder how many other affiliates who are NOT in the top ten also feel this way.

And, my guess is that most of their sales come from affiliates who will NEVER be on the high exalted winners list even though they have already done their best for the merchant.

Way to discourage affiliates, merchants!

The only people who want or need to know about the great potential of the program are the people who are NOT already affiliates or affiliates who have not yet posted the products. Active affiliates are already doing their best for you.

Why do they feel compelled to email affiliates who are active, anyhow? Assuming that affiliates don't like to waste their time and they take their best shot when they put up a merchant in the first place, what more do merchants hope to gain with these emails?

If a merchant doesn't have anything to say, they shouldn't say anything at all!

The only thing we ever want to hear from a merchant is that the commission has been raised!

The main thing that we DON'T want to hear from a merchant is that our links have to be changed or that they cannot deliver products.

You know, when I see that I have new email, I rush to see what it is hoping it is another sale. Then, to find it is one of these merchant missives telling me how great someone else did this month, it is not at all welcome.

Like I said, I know it is sour grapes. But, I also bet no merchant ever thought about it from that perspective. And, the truth is no one is ever really happy to read about someone else's success if they are a competitor. People only like to read about their own success. That is pretty much human nature and the truth of the matter.

OK since we never seem to agree, anyhow, all you folks who have rushed right out to update your sites and really improved your original mediocre efforts after getting on of these emails, tell me how wrong I am.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    How horrible of them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My opinion of those emails is directly correlated with how close to those top 10 I am.

If I'm pretty close, then yeah, I may tweak some pages. But if I'm miles away from it, then an email isn't going to change that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I actually enjoy those kinds of email updates.

It helps me to know what the top affiliates are making. Gives me a way to measure my progress and that of the program.

Sometimes I wonder how well I actually am at affiliate marketing and if all these hours are worth it.

I know a year ago, I was never in the run for anything. Then I actually made some bonuses in the linkshare program at Christmas. Now I am in the top 15 for a merchant. (Most of the time though, I'm not).

I do enjoy hearing about other success stories, because I really believe that I can compete. If others can do it then I can too!

Lily

I think the thing of it is that they see us as their sales "team". We should be happy to see the "team" doing well.

But, nothing could be farther from the truth. We are on no one's "team". When others do better, we do worse.

We are not for the "company" doing better. We are not for the "team" doing better. We are for doing better, ourselves and could give a hang about the merchant or the other "team" members.

Skills that are used to motivate a sales force in brick and morter stores do not carry over to affiliate sales. This is a whole new "ball game".
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    We should form a union and boycott motivational merchant newsletters

SSanf,

Not sure I totally agree with this last post of yours. I don't like losing out to the competition but to a degree I do consider there to be some teamwork. Let's face it, the more productive affiliate marketing in general is, the more likely merchants will continue to invest resources in it.

If and when merchants stop at least pretending we are team members, they may also stop supporting affiliate marketing in general.

That said, if your sites are doing better than mine, I hate that and sure wish you would quit it!
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

ABW Ambassador
    I love those emails. When I see their top 10 list and everyone is under $500, and the program is not converting for me either - time to drop them. I remember "one of the big boys" on iafma publishing the list, and they were all under $200...

As for the big money winners, just makes me think of different ways people must be promoting the merchant.

I see nothing wrong with them, and do find them loosely motivatitional (as much as anything can motivate me to stop playing Burnout 3 and get to work.) I have worked in high pressure sales, where each sales person is just out for themselves, and I do think the techniques used there do translate to here.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If and when merchants stop at least pretending we are team members, they may also stop supporting affiliate marketing in general. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My hope is that will happen because they have come to understand that we are quite different than the kind of sales force they are accustomed to and do the things necessary to make the program actually work rather than waste effort on all this motivational stuff.

That said, forget about me quiting. I am going to kick everyone's a$$!

P.S. Yes, I can see some value to their announcing to the world that they are loser programs. I may withdraw my objection.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I guess it depends. If the AM is telling you that affiliates made a lot of money, this is something attainable, and the AM even throws in some tips and advice (and links), then GREAT.

If they, (like one program that comes to mind) tells me about how some gigantic site with hoards of staff and PR 9.9 made a lot of money, then YES, this is a waste of my time and a couple of wasted bytes in my mailbox. When they cite a Parasite as a "Mover and a Shaker", I really wish to
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hey, they can try to motivate the top-ten, or try to motivate everyone else. In this case, they have a dream that an affiliate, seeing the email, will be so heavily motivated they will make it into the top-five and win something.

I coach kids hockey, I never try to give awards that only five of the kids could ever win. They all need (and deserve) a chance to win. I usually make sure everyone wins anyway

Having said all that, there is a time and place to reward top producers/performers - not sure this is it though.

Fred

Ssanf... I agree there is nothing worse then getting those email telling me what i am not doing...

the only thing worse is the AM who talks in circles and doesn't tell me how to make their program work for me...

After all if I ask an AM for help.. i want to know what is working for other affiliates....

I want specifics...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I think the thing of it is that they see us as their sales "team". We should be happy to see the "team" doing well.

But, nothing could be farther from the truth. We are on no one's "team". When others do better, we do worse.

We are not for the "company" doing better. We are not for the "team" doing better. We are for doing better, ourselves and could give a hang about the merchant or the other "team" members.

Skills that are used to motivate a sales force in brick and morter stores do not carry over to affiliate sales. This is a whole new "ball game". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO!

Every time any of them starts with the "team" crap, I want to PUKE!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've said it before, but I would rather an AM send out information like the average check cut for the month across the affiliate channel.

Messages like "We payed an average of $xxx.xx dollars to our affiliates last month" would go a lot farther than saying these guys made more commissions last month than you'll have in your lifetime. Plus, if I received a check, I could guage how well I am doing in the program. If I got a $50 check, but the top affiliate received $2000, yeah that would be demoralizing.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

the good emails:
    last month received a *personal* email from one of my merchants with a notice of a Bonus!

The Stupid emails:
    Just today, Received an email stating i was the top affiliate for the month.... I checked my stats... i only made one sale... makes me want to replace that program.

over all, i think it is good information because it does give some indication that a program produces any worth while results and deserves more of my attention.
    dave

http and a telephoto
    I like the "Top 10" or even better, the "Top 15" emails because it gives me a target. I may be doing everything I can, or I may not have even started on a program, and when I get one of those emails, it gives me either motivation to get links up, or tweak what I have up, or I can say "keep it on the to-do list". I like having a benchmark, whether it is the 10 affiliate payments or an average. I like to know if I am in the ballpark.

I overlook words like "team". We may be part of an affiliate force for a merchant, but I agree that we are not part of a "team". We don't work together to create success for a merchant, we work individually to create success for ourselves, and in the process create success for the merchant.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Received an email stating i was the top affiliate for the month.... I checked my stats... i only made one sale <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on being the top affiliate!!!!

SSanf, I totally agree with you!

I hate those emails too!!
    Ebudae

And would like to add - how about those AM's who announce to everyone that "such and such" is selling really well.

I have more than once felt like saying - will you PLEASE shut the F--- up!!
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ebudae:
    And would like to add - how about those AM's who announce to everyone that "such and such" is selling really well.

I have more than once felt like saying - will you PLEASE shut the F--- up!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it is a please shut up but they gotta make more money and the best way to do it is to release that kind of information. They could say "our stores best sellers are" instead of "affiliate are selling x item".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> will you PLEASE shut the F--- up!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got that right!!!

It is like they WANT to make their best affiliates go to the competition!

What they need to be telling affiliates is something like:

"One out of every 100 customers you send us buys something!"

"We have no 1-800-numbers on our site."

"We run a clean program."

We have no leaks on our site."

"People want and need our product and they need to replace it often."

"We have a long cookie duration."

"We have a good data feed that you can break up many different ways."

"Our descriptions and product names have lots of adjectives that you can easily replace with your own words."

"The average active affiliate earns xxx in our program."

"Our site is stable and we have been around since...."

"Our commissions beat industry standards."

"If you sell or beat the average for 6 month in a row, we will give you a bonus of ...."

"Our customer service is outstanding. You can be proud to recommend us."

"There are a lot of productive keywords that are under utilized. If you optimize well, there is a lot of opportunity to get good placement."

"If you develop a site just for our products, and you maintain average sales from it, we will renew the registration for you every year."

"We pay on time, every time."

"Product X is being advertised on TV next week. You may want to put it on your front page."

"Put up coupon x on date z and take it down on date y."

"New banners sizes x, y and z are found here."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ebudae:

I have more than once felt like saying - will you PLEASE shut the F--- up!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it is a please shut up but they gotta make more money and the best way to do it is to release that kind of information. They could say "our stores best sellers are" instead of "affiliate are selling x item". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some affiliates talk wayyyyyyy too much. They find a good merchant that converts well and pays good commissions and they start bragging about it on public boards to be seen by hundreds/thousands of other affiliates. A few months later they wonder why they're not making as much money anymore. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! They created a ton of competition for themselves rather than just enjoy the big bucks for as long as they could.

What I love most are the merchants (affiliates) who announce publicly which advertising works best for their top affiliates or give out keywords in the same manner. By doing that they send hundreds of affiliates to that one advertising vehicle to drive the bids so totally out of whack, it's not worth it anymore. I saw one merchant recently who did just that. The highest bids for top keywords went from a maximum of 25-30 cents per click for months to a whopping MINIMUM of 85 cents per click for those same keywords at the same positions just a few weeks ago. I haven't checked since, but my guess is that minimum bids are now even higher.

tsk tsk tsk...

Catwoman

Silly merchant!

yea, i thought that was funny poor merchant

It must suck to have your top affiliate only make one sale and it sucks for the merchant to have an affiliate manager dumb enough to tell me my one sale was the best anyone can do

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Received an email stating i was the top affiliate for the month.... I checked my stats... i only made one sale <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on being the top affiliate!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    dave

Well I'm pretty sure I know which merchant SSanf means and I like those emails for these reasons:

1/ In this case I was just outside the top 10 last month, but worked on a whole load of new pages, now I'm well in the top 10.

2/ It gives me information on how the programme is doing and how I'm doing compared to other affiliates.

3/ It helps me decide if it's worth carrying on - in my case with this merchant, it definitely is. In the case of the infamous ebay email - our scummiest affiliate made over $1M last month - you're just chicken s**t, I decided to scale down.

I agree entirely that merchants shouldn't give away affiliates secrets as to what is working well. It's the sort of thing that if an affilaite gave away merchant secrets, they'd soon be chucked off the programme.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast