Hi all.

If you don't mind giving a little help to newbies like me and a little inside info, what approach works best for you?

The "Shotgun" approach? Where you throw up lots of mini-sites covering a wide range of affiliate products and customers in hopes that one or more will hit?

Or the "rifle" approach, where you build a large site dedicated to "zeroing in" on a specific niche or market area?

Since I'm just starting out, I'm considering using the "shotgun" approach, covering a wide range of affiliate programs and different audiences until I find one that out-performs all the rest.
    Then I figure to try the "Rifle" approach.

Does this make sense? Does it seem like a valid tactic? I've researched a lot of different niche areas, and found some that had tons of potential judging by the supply/demand ratio.

But supplying a market segment that is composed of "tire-kickers" rather than buyers is a concern I have. I wouldn't want to waste a lot of time and effort building a large website based on a supply/demand ratio that I think has a lot of potential if all the customers do is look around.

What advice can you give?

Thanks in advance,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Hey Rick - howdy from a fellow Texan!

well, I do both - lol, I know that isn't much help.

I have all kinds of sites from shotgun to niche to content. That way all my eggs are not in just one basket and I don't get bored working on just one kind of site.
    Ebudae

Rick, Welcome to Abw. I do both too. Rifle and Shotgun, because I believe having a business needs variety. One niche only happens during a time. so therefore I would rather have my Gold eggs in more then one basket. I have shopping,content,and other ways too.

ABW Ambassador
    I like the rifle approach myself. A rifle approach along with a good, large content site works very well for me. Excellent rankings in the SERPS and decent conversions.

ABW Ambassador
    Right now I do the shotgun approach. I'm building traffic and when I reach a certain level will add sites based on the rifle approach.

From my perspective it's best to do both so all your eggs aren't in one basket as Ebudae and jason said.

Bob

ABW Ambassador
    Watch to see who is crying about google rankings. $10 they are trying the rifle approach. Too many variables to put all your eggs in one traffic basket.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    It is illegal to sell, buy or use guns here, I think.

I have 3 or 4 high power rifles, and 3 or 4 22 calibre pistols. No shotguns.

I conentrate on the rifles for high income, high return on invested time, making them super robust content sites that don't need any tweaking to stay in the search engines. I have two 50 calibre sites that generate the majority of my income, plus 2 more 30-6 sites that serve as a net in case the sky ever falls in on the high calibre sites. Total time on the rifles is about 10 hours a month.

The problem is that finding high calibre sites is not easy. That's where the pistols come in. When I'm not working on the rifles, I shoot the pistol around. Unlike a shotgun, I can take aim, and if I hit something, it's not likely to run away before I can figure out how I found it in the first place. I like to have about 4 sites that are low investment "pistol" sites, and I give them about 4 months after hitting at least 100 visits per day to tweak and see if the niche can be productive. If not, then I load up the pistol and go off looking for another niche. If a niche is particularly promising, I move in with a rifle.

Just like with any sales position, you have your steady high producing partners (niche + merchant), but you can't depend on them being around forever. You have to "Keep the funnel full" as they say in the sales business.

I personally don't think the shotgun is the best approach because you never really know why you were successful in an area, and you never really give anything enough attention to turn maybes into probablies. Don't try to work more than 4 new niches at a time, and you'll get the best results.

(BTW - I'm not really a gun owner, but I grew up with them. Let's NOT turn this into a political gun discussion)

Good luck,
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Watch to see who is crying about google rankings. $10 they are trying the rifle approach. Too many variables to put all your eggs in one traffic basket. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me most of the complaints around here recently have been from big, datafeed driven "shotgun" sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Watch to see who is crying about google rankings. $10 they are trying the rifle approach. Too many variables to put all your eggs in one traffic basket. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me most of the complaints around here recently have been from big, datafeed driven "shotgun" sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree that I've tried my luck with rifle and shotgun. Unfortunately Google devastated my shotgun tactics so now I'm focusing entirely on rifle sites. I do want to have a good selection of sites over the long run, but I need to give my current ones time to mature and develop a strong audience.

IMO it's best to have a dedicated audience that comes back to you again and again because you're offering something they find valuable. It's difficult to do this using the shotgun technique.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You just start throwing lots of dung on the walls to see what sticks. Sad, but true. . .
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread