Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Tons of affiliates are promoting activeX and search bar programs that are filled with parasites. I keep seeing a BUNCH of posts on a BUNCH of other forums where AFFILIATES are asking about the best ones to promote. I don't think they realize what they are doing.

It would curdle your toes if I named the name of some of these and told you what kind of crap they are dropping on consumer computers like One Eighty and others.

Here is the post I have been making cuz I'm hopping mad every time I see one of these. Maybe of some of you go and add your 2 cents the message will get through to some of these guys.

MY response: ---------------------------------
    HOW CAN YOU GUYS MARKET THIS TRASH???

Don't you realize that some of the ActiveX programs you are helping to spread STEAL affiliate commissions??? Have you looked at what you are spreading around inside these apps? They are parasites and you are helping to spread them! You may make some money selling it, but then you are also losing money when they steal your commissions from other programs.

Programs like this HURT the entire industry. Programs like this increase the number of spyware and anti-adware programs - MANY OF WHICH EAT OR BLOCK AFFILIATE COOKIES SO THAT NO ONE MAKES MONEY.

Yes I'm YELLING and SCREAMING MAD!

Don't call yourself an affiliate and then spread a scourge that hurts everyone in the industry!

LC and SBC are 2 of the worst spreaders of this stuff.

[URL Removed - wouldn't it make more sense sending them here, then sending us there? ]

Well stated!

Sorry Haiko. I would not normally post a link to another forum, but I thought that with all the people reading that post we should send some people over to help squash the interest in those type of programs. If you won't let me post a link to that forum, (it's not even that competitive with ABW) what makes you think they would let me post a link to your forum???

Theres a bunch of other forums with their own regulars talking about how great these programs are. I would think it would be in our best interest to try to educate them or stop them even if they are on other forums.

My bad, I don't try to help stop the spread of parasites any more.

ABW Ambassador
    Well done Linda.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:
    My bad, I don't try to help stop the spread of parasites any more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was completely uncalled for!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what makes you think they would let me post a link to your forum??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I should be the pansy, Uh-uh sorry, not me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Theres a bunch of other forums with their own regulars talking about how great these programs are. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nuh duh, that's because that market is huge ... you don't think they've also heard of CJ, LS or SaS? They don't want to do CPA, they want their CPC, CPM or per install, that's how they monetize their work/sites. Postings from ABW'ers on that [or the other] board[s] isn't going to do beans to change their minds, nor industry.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Sorry Haiko. That WAS uncalled for. I'm just ticked at seeing all these posts everywhere all of a sudden.

For the rest of you if you do see these posts, it can help when you say something. When I blasted one other forum that exploded with a bunch of these activex affiliate program discussions - MANY people posted they were suspicious about these but didn't not know for sure what they did or contained. Many said now that they know what they do, they will drop them. Many told the ones that were promoting it to stop. The forum mods even closed the thread saying they don't support the spread of these types of programs. This one I'm taling about now, was not even an affiliate forum, it was a domain forum. Even though the people over there don't really understand the paraiste issues as well as people here do, there was still great support for not promoting these types of programs. So it does help, I think, to speak your mind against this type of activity.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Linda,

First I have no doubts you had nothing but the best of intentions with your post and understand your point regarding education. However, I also have to agree with Haiko that posting probably isn't going to make most of these guys change their minds. And I would also have to say that most know exactly what those applications are and do. The proof in that being the post by one at the link you provided giving a name of a place emphasising that the company would stay off their affiliates content (ie promote us and we'll not do our deeds on your site). So they do indeed know what the deal is. The value in responding is more likely potentially sqashing a thread. Doesn't mean those folks aren't going to continue their practices however. The sig lines for those posters are a who who of the types of sites to grab a drive-by if you are looking for one. On the bright side, now I have some more sites to do just that when I'm trolling.

And finally, I know several places they can get much better than the .20 to .25/dl they were discussing, but And the folks who are doing it of a penny! Good grief is all I can say on that score!!! What a waste of monetizing your traffic!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Linda,
    I am fairly new to this. Could you please tell me where to go for a list of programs to stay away from?
    Thanks,
    Pam

B - I agree on that particular thread most of them know what they are doing and just maybe don't care, but on some of the other forums, especially the domain forum, many people really didn't know what they were spreading around.

I mean many realized they were spreading crap that may muck up peoples computers, but they didn't realize there were parasite apps installed also that could take their other affiliate income or that would help spread spyware which would block their cookies. They just weren't looking at the whole picture, so I think education does help a little. (OK so I may have my rose colored glasses on today.) Certainly there are those that know and don't care, they are just out to make money at any cost.

Hi Pam,

I don't want to post names, but I personally would stear clear of active x, download or toolbar type of programs. If you want to know the names of parasites in general, most are listed here in the Parasiteware forum below.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Linda,

What I do when I see a posting about a download offer, I stress the fact that teh 6 cents or whatever they get paid for the download is the LASST MONEY any affiliate will ever see from that computer.

I get peeved with the number of major high-traffic sites running those free-screensaver adverts. I'm considering writing a bot to seek out all the websites running those adverts and sending the domain admin a warning email. Bummer is, that's spamming. :^[

Hi Drewbert, thing is this isn't just the little screensaver programs that have been around for a long time. I think some of these are newer and bigger programs. Suddenly I'm just seeing lots of posts about it, lots of places, that's why I'm so upset.

Linda, I'm sorry to say this but the idiots at LinkShare are not helping your cause. See link below,

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...6697#852106697

Miss Linda,

I understand your good intention...
    but the marketing cap of everyone is to make money no matter what the cost or outcome.

If only if these marketing cap that have the power to say "NO MORE" and banned all these kind of behaviour, then the people that busting their buttocks to get this kind of behaviour cleaned up will be rewarded for their efforts!

But until the one that have the power to stop these don't do nothing and keep giving us "nothing is wrong". We are all SOL!

But I do appreciate everyone's effort and hopefully someday we can all have the fair level competition and consumer's pc will not be burden by greed!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Linda,

Can you e me the chatboard links please, so I can weigh in with my 2 cents worth.

Thanks.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi Linda,

&gt; Tons of affiliates are promoting activeX and search bar programs that are filled with parasites.

I agree and have seen this as an AM before. It really gets very upsetting when you see affiliates do this and when you send them an email some don't even reply.

I agree that you are MAD, so am I, and just wanted us to blast the other forum with educatioanal material for those that don't know any better. But they will just get publicity and some will do as they please.

Send me a PM I will gladly "Help Stop Spread of Parasites"

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread