BocaJava affiliates beware
    If you refer a customer through a CJ link, Bocajava may load a PepperjamNetwork tracking pixel on the confirmation page, instead of a CJ pixel, effectively diverting and depriving both you and CJ of your rightful share.

Happy Holidays!
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

So, did this happen where you weren't credited? Did you follow the exact CJ link, or did you return at a later point? Did you let the merchant/CJ know? Are you sure only the PJN pixel was on the confirmation page, and not both the PJN and CJ pixels?
    Last edited by Joshua; November 28th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Straight through a CJ link and proceeded to select products and check out without interruption - did not go to or through any other site. No CJ pixel was loaded on the confirmation page; just the PJ pixel.

As far as contacting CJ or the merchant.... any time I've had a problem like this in the past, the solution has always been to either deny that there is a problem, or to manually credit me for the missing commission. That does not solve the problem and I just don't have time for that nonsense.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've never understood the networks lack of response to these types of issues.

They aren't one of those handful of merchants on CJ who batch are they? I never did care for that batching thing either.

I don't understand lack of positive response either. A network could potentially be losing 6 figures or more per month if a merchant like this is allowing a portion of sales commissions to be diverted elsewhere like this.

This is the biggest reason I really dislike working with multi-network merchants. With the most common tracking needed for multi-network tracking, there are two different tracking mechanisms that both have to work in order for affiliates to get credit. The merchant has to properly record which network each visitor comes through (on EVERY SINGLE LANDING PAGE), and the normal network tracking must work as well. It's far too easy to miss that first tracking component on some landing pages.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Looking at Boca Java's EPC stats in CJ, it looks like some links have to be tracking properly, since an EPC does exist for them. Looking at the links (not product links), there are a few links that do have a $0.00 7 day or 3 month EPC (no earnings with clicks, which I believe is different from "N/A" meaning no clicks?) - This could point to an isolated issue with some links, so you may want to try other links. Then again, those links could just be bad landing pages or have affiliates promoting it to audiences who won't buy.

I'm not trying to defend them if a pixel wasn't actually there, but it does look like transactions are being commissioned in CJ, though the volume of transactions is uncertain. I also assume you know what CJ pixels look like (since you know what PJN's looks like), so I'm not questioning the fact that you didn't see one - It's just that your assessment doesn't seem to be 100% the case there.
    Last edited by Joshua; November 29th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Obviously some sales are being tracked, in order for there to be a positive EPC. Those sales are not the ones I am concerned about; the ones that get diverted are.

Boca Java shut down today.

Boca Java Message from the President
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    Boca Java shut down today.

Boca Java Message from the President
    WoW! Another One Bites the Dust (NutsOnTheNet did the same today, or at lest closed their aff program). Such a shame. A sign of the times, or management that took too much out of the company before the bills were paid?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

In addition to the tracking issue, I had several customer service fiascos as well with these jokers. Online reviews revealed that they have a history in this department.

And their product turned out to be crap ~ no better than the garbage you can get for $3 per can at the supermarket. Heck, they don't even know how to grind it properly (either that or they don't know how to maintain their grinding machines), let alone brew it so masterfully as their sales pitches claim.

At least there are plenty of good coffee merchants out there to choose from

Boca Java has been forced to cease all operations
    Sounds like maybe the Fla. Attorney General's office may have responded to the customer's problems?

Thanks for the info. I didn't even receive any emails announcing that they were done!

I wrote an article on January 8th, 2009 about Boca Java teaming up with TrailPay entitled Affiliate Ponzi Schemes Kill Affiliate Programs where I accused TrialPay of being a ponzi scheme. There was quite a lot of response/protest from the TrialPay CEO, Alex Rampell. I just looked back at the article and found that my final sentence in the article was this...

Boca Java epitaph - Here Lies Boca Java, death by ponzi

From an insider's point of view. They were never profitable. This was long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    From an insider's point of view. They were never profitable. This was long overdue.
    I would suppose that the TrialPay thing was an effort to increase profits on an allegedly inferior product. A better way is to increase quality. But coffee is a hugely competitive market that's got to be tough for any company.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom or Bust View Post
    I wrote an article on January 8th, 2009 about Boca Java teaming up with TrailPay......
    I also posted this about Boca Java on 01/09:

"That said, I think it's real cheap to open that "exclamation pop-up window" when you try to exit those web pages. Most customer would never buy such a product on the first visit. It makes the vendor not only look desperate for sales but also scary in a "your PC is infected by a virus" sort of way. That reason alone, should compel Boca Java to stop doing this. People buying coffee online are probably not the type to would appreciate this sort of low-grade marketing technique."
    Those marketing techniques did not fit the product...some were arguing to the contrary.

Sometimes the true is obvious and does not require convoluted rationalization.

Good luck to those Boca Java employees!

Peace.
    Last edited by delsol; February 7th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Their links are still live on CJ. How strange is that?

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    That means they still have money in their escrow account. When they default on escrow, CJ will shut them down but they will still owe CJ for the extent of the contract.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yoe right they are active but terms are set to expire 02/14/11.

I see that they are still alive at Linkshare?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    I see that they are still alive at Linkshare?
    Yes, they are. Still accepting affiliates. Does it suck? Yes.
    The good old LinkShare will keep them active even if you're not paid. (As long as they have a valid contract)
    I was expecting the new owner to don't follow on the Messer's stupidities. but I guess I was wrong. Still the same.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread