Product Data Feeds? Are They A Good Strategy For Affiliate Marketing?
    Hey Guys,

I am a new affiliate marketer, and I have had some success with my amazon affiliate websites. However I would like to scale out my projects but Content creation has always been an issue for my business.

I am not too familiar with Data Feeds but I would like to try them out. My understanding is that a Product Datafeed is simply a detailed description around 250-500 words about a given product with that particular network. So if I were to get a amazon data feed, than I would have a RSS feed of all their products that I would be able to upload to my blogs, am I understanding this correctly?

Also if you do use Datafeeds do you have any recommendations where I can get Datafeeds for Amazon, and CJ networks? And is there is a specific strategy on how to use datafeeds to generate more traffic and sales to my affiliate wordpress blogs?

A datafeed alone will not do anything for your business. All affiliates get the same datafeeds to work with but without extensive editing or content it is essentially the same as a page full of banners for driving traffic.

Many affiliates use datafeeds to show products with reviews or price comparison or products in a niche surrounded by lots of content. If you had set up a datafeed site years ago, the age of your site and backlinks can mitigate the lack of unique content, but today with millions of affiliates all over the world, it is not a good plan to just show products from the same feed with the same detailed product descriptions as a thousand other sites. If you just want to try it out anyway, look for a Wordpress plugin like portaljumper's. It has a free basic setup or a paid setup.
    Good luck.

Thanks,

Yea my idea with the data feed is to have someone go in my wordpress and add some unique content or re-phrase the actual feed rather than coming up with new content, that way their would be some uniqueness to the actual datafeed.

Are there any recommended datafeed services you guys might suggest?

If you don't want a WP plugin, you can sign up at GoldenCan or PopShops, they both have forums here, and both offer a free version to try it out.

I'm not aware of Amazon.com having a direct datafeed like you're asking. They have a full API to query their database. You can easily find PHP scripts that create an API class for you to use or you can find affiliate scripts to make an amazon.com store. The only issue is that Amazon.com changes its API fairly frequently, so it may be difficult to keep up on your own.

CJ does have datafeeds for many of its merchants. If you go to Accounts -> Services, you can create a new service and see which of your merchants offers them. There are a lot of options available in how you configure and receive the updates.

For example, I set mine up to be emailed to me when changed and I have an email forward set up that sends the incoming mail/attachment to a common PHP script which opens the attachment, analyzes the contents and imports it into a database. Using a combination of proprietary PHP scripts/MySQL and WP plug-ins, I create a daily digest of all new items and sales for my niche.

Not all merchants provide all information though. For example, most don't seem to differentiate between retail and sale prices in my experience, so I can't tell when an item has gone on sale or not (but if I can, I promote the sale).

Once I created my local databases based on CJ's format, I adapted everything to work with LinkShare's merchandiser (which you either need to pay for or it's free if you meet minimum requirements, which I think is 50 sales in the past 30 days). LinkShare forces you to use FTP and they make it even trickier than a normal FTP (the files you need are hidden), but I've been able to accomplish it all with PHP.

I also do the same with Pepperjam.

It's really difficult to offer a competitive service with datafeeds. It takes some very extensive technical knowledge and some careful planning and consideration.

The key is to offer a service that fills a particular need; maybe even something you wish was possible but isn't. Unless you want to manage 100 million products on a cloud of servers you probably want to narrow yourself down to a very specific subcategory. A good rule of thumb is to focus on 50-100 very specific merchants and filter down to the category level. For example to make a dog food site you can extract only the dog food category of merchants who sell it. You probably also want to spider some merchants who don't offer datafeeds to offer more choices to your customers. Don't be afraid to offer free traffic. In the end you're catering to the customers.

In the end your search is going to make or break you. It needs to be intelligent enough to give your customers exactly what they're looking for. This is no small feat and requires some research on things like fulltext search, relevance, sorting, stemming, and latency.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread