Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black Friday - So Far, So Good
    Early morning results are positive. Hope you're all seeing the same.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan View Post
    Early morning results are positive. Hope you're all seeing the same.
    saw a couple sales and the number of lookers are up. now have to wait for the folks to all get back from the mall and buy the real stuff.

Malls are a little too chaotic for me.

I'm at the shop today, but we didn't do anything to build local hype, so it'll probably be peaceful in the store. Plenty to do in the office and warehouse though, so will be busy. Next year though, I think we'll try something to boost foot traffic too.
    Eathan Mertz

15 years and counting
    Sales are picking up nicely. It's still a little bit early. People are shopping online after a day at the mall. I hope it will be a good start for the season.

http and a telephoto
    Yup, lots of reports about people not finding what they wanted in the stores and they are headed online to shop.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

In the checks biz we look forward to January - the FIRST quarter is our big quarter. However, today has been an outstanding day for us thus far - for direct and affiliate sales. The morning started slowly and it looked like a normal Friday - but the last few hours make me think this could be our best Friday ever. <now starting to grin just a bit more than usual>
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Might've spoken too soon. Morning was strong, but things have slowed a bit. Still, the rest of the afternoon and evening is yet to come, and if I remember correctly it was this coming Thursday when things really started to take off last year.

Anyway, knocking on wood regardless.
    Eathan Mertz

Still strong here. Maybe some folks were writing checks today at the malls (yes, lots of people still do that ). We're heading out to dinner in a few minutes - so will know more in another couple of hours. <crosses fingers>
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Sales are terrible here..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Sales are so-so here. Better than the rest of the year, but down 50% from last Black Friday.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Still a few hours to go on the west coast, but what started out great has so far settled into decent. Still time to finish out strong though...
    Eathan Mertz

Slowed down over the dinner hour - but picked up this evening. While not our best "day" for November, it was certainly our best Friday. Best Friday in a long time. Now, that's all for personal checks - business checks sales sucked today. I don't have last year to compare with because we were only three weeks into having this program online at that time.

At first I couldn't imagine why people are buying "checks" today. But after looking at the bulk of the items being purchased I see a trend. I think I'll be able to explain what is happening after I look more closely at the individual sales. Tomorrow...

Keep us posted. For us it's rock tumblers at this time of year. We sell a lot of everything else too, but rock tumblers are probably our most popular gift items. They spike in late November through Christmas, so this year we added a ton of new tumbling kits, grits, rough stones, etc in anticipation of holiday sales. So far so good...
    Eathan Mertz

Online usually peaks around mid-December.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I had a so-so day yesterday. last black friday was much better for me. i'm hoping things pick up on cyber monday. overall, i give my black friday sales a C+. i'm definitely a little disappointed.

http and a telephoto
    Black Friday is still an offline phenomena and Cyber Monday is a myth. It's Cyber Tuesday and it's a week away. The press and retailers are trying to create a shopping day that isn't in existence yet even though they have been trying for about 6 years now.

People shop when they shop.
    Deborah Carney

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Black Friday is still an offline phenomena and Cyber Monday is a myth. It's Cyber Tuesday and it's a week away. The press and retailers are trying to create a shopping day that isn't in existence yet even though they have been trying for about 6 years now.

Glad to see that I'm not alone in believing this, and not the only one who hasn't gotten rich on two days' worth of sales.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

thanks loxly. that makes me feel a little bit better. looking forward to next week. this month before was doing well overall. this weekend is turning out to be just average at best. the traffic is there though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Online usually peaks around mid-December.
    In my experience it starts to take off closer to the 1st or 2nd and stays strong through our last shipping day before Christmas. Dollar volume peaks later, but a good chunk of that is late shoppers paying extra for expedited shipping. After Christmas we get another couple weeks of people spending their Christmas cash, or buying accessories to go with presents they've received.
    Eathan Mertz

I'm just happy to see steady traffic & sales... was it a home run day/weekend? Nope.. just good numbers that have been trending nicely.

Did the unthinkable today tho... switched DNS to another hosting platform.. right in the middle of holiday weekend

ABW Ambassador

Oh, it's not a myth. Now historically has it been the busiest shopping day of the year? No, like you said:

2009: Tuesday, Dec. 15 at $913m (vs. $887m on Cyber Monday)

But Cyber Monday was the 2nd busiest day last year and based on what I'm seeing and with some merchants finally getting it, utilizing Facebook, Twitter etc. It's going to be a big day and it'll come close to beating that Tuesday as the busiest day and probably will. That Tuesday last year only beat Cyber Monday by about 3%. The word is getting out, it's catching on.
    Last edited by Trust; November 29th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Myths become real when people buy into them

Next week will still be busier than this week, overall.
    Deborah Carney

I smell a contest... LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Oh, it's not a myth. Now historically has it been the busiest shopping day of the year? No, like you said:

2009: Tuesday, Dec. 15 at $913m (vs. $887m on Cyber Monday)

But Cyber Monday was the 2nd busiest day last year and based on what I'm seeing and with some merchants finally getting it, utilizing Facebook, Twitter etc. It's going to be a big day and it'll come close to beating that Tuesday as the busiest day and probably will. That Tuesday last year only beat Cyber Monday by about 3%. The word is getting out, it's catching on.
    And it did.

"Green Monday represented another banner day for the 2010 holiday season, ranking as the second heaviest online spending day on record behind this years Cyber Monday,"

Industry Statistics - More to come for holiday e-commerce sales - Internet Retailer

Cyber Monday 2010 was the busiest online sales day of the year, busiest of all time. First billion dollar day for ecommerce. Marketing success story, congrats marketers.

So I've been wondering how this week has been going for everyone? I guess I'm not going to see a day that rivals Cyber Monday this year, at least not for my website. My sales this week have been good, but only 50-60% of Cyber Monday's totals.

Overall, this is my best Holiday shopping season ever. I think I like what I'm seeing, as my profit graph shows a HUGE spike on Cyber Monday week, then much lower, but still consistently high profits.

I had hoped to see another really big spike this week, but for me, at least, it isn't happening.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast