Golden Can and other datafeed services - Your Thoughts?
    Hi I noticed quite a few people use Goldencan

Do you use it? if so why

Are there any other services out there like that that you recommend?

thanks

I have a golden can site ... I just set it and forget it ... never heard from it again.

Havent checked the latest but I think the options are too limited for todays competitive market. Other datafeed services could surely do better if harnessed effectively.

ABW Ambassador
    I suppose Goldencan has it's place for some publishers, but for most it's way too limiting.

Learn to use datafeeds yourself. You'll be rewarded over the long haul.

Do you mind me asking what you find limiting about GoldenCan?

Also has any of you used popshops and is that similar?

I remember for many years people used Webmerge ( I gather people dont use that anymore )
    Last edited by easylife; November 28th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

People are still using Webmerge, take a look at their forum. I use it for a lot of things from full site building to turning the coupon feeds into custom pages. Webmerge is a tool, not a service.

Popshops offers more appearance (CSS) options and lets you combine all merchants' feeds for some particular product. With their different levels of service you can even customize descriptions, titles, alt tags etc. GoldenCan is free or 4th click, Pop Shops is basic or paid services, up to API.

ABW Ambassador
    GoldenCan is fine to display some products here and there around your site - as you can just put it up and forget about it (at least until the javascript breaks or the merchant you're promoting stops using it). But it's still very limiting in how you can present the products, what info you display, the layout and, rather obviously, none of it will be in the search engines. When I think of GoldenCan, I think one of the better uses of it is to plop in a small display of products that are related to a blog or article post you just wrote.

Using product datafeeds allows the publisher to present information anyway they want, and to include whatever additional information on the page they want. In short, the possibilities of using datafeeds are limited only by your imagination. And the content gets spidered by the search engines and can bring in a substantial amount of traffic if done correctly.

As the previous poster stated, WebMerge is a tool, not a service. For multiple or very large datafeeds, it's a rather clumsy tool to use in terms of time and presentation - but it still does work. I have a friend here on ABW who uses it with success. But updating a datafeed in MySQL is a heck of a lot easier than updating a datafeed using WebMerge.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll also add this. Using MySQL and PHP to display information off a merchant datafeed is pathetically easy. Once I finally learned how to display my "first ever" products off a merchant datafeed on my web site pages, I was like...that's it? It really is too simple to get started for basic things - and perhaps that's one reason why so many people don't try it.

Indeed, I'd say the biggest stumbling block to using merchant datafeeds was figuring out how to successfully upload the Excel spreadsheets to a MySQL database on my server. But a superb program called Navicat solved that problem.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread