Got a call this morning from expert satellite telling my my domain name has the phrase

Direct tv and directtv in it..

they said that there is new rule or whatever being done by DIRECTV that no affiliate site can have the phrase in there URL

direct tv or directv in the URL domain..

and if it does i was told all banners and links from affiliate merchants would have to be removed.. I asked about rapid satellite and got a reply back from nick.. you will want to read this.. below...

anyway if this is true this could damage hundreds of sites as you know affiliates have setup a direct tv site and satellit tv site and normally use the phrase directv in the domain and urls?

I think this is another attempt for them to try dominating the market!....

either way this was Nicks reply.. and quite frankly i think i will stand by what he says... as they are the only company that pay me besides dishpronto.

QUOTE : "DIRECTV came to us asking us to enforce this policy. We explained that it is a trademark issue that only they can enforce via trademark infringement laws (not sure there are any they can stand on).

In any event, at this point, we do not plan on asking you guys to remove these links"

this is good..!!! i will just remove expert from my site.. they havent paid anyway...

I wonder what other merchants will curve into this one!

So, let me get this straight: if I build a page for DirecTV, I can't have "directv" anywhere in the URL?

What do they want me to call it? "m4gh7749jhgut89"?

If I'm not able to tell what the page is about by looking at the URL, they can forget it! Yes, I understand cracking down on domains that are intentionally deceiving, and try to mimick the merchant site, but when the merchant name is clearly just a page on another domain, I don't get it.

Andy

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The biggest hurdles thrown at honest affiliates come from the reactions to those who are dishonest.

That aside, what is the true distinction between using the phrase in a paragraph on your site AND using it as part of your URL?

Functionally, to our intended visitors, the use is both "content".

Technologically, Search Engines and browsers are smart enough to know each - a phrase or a piece of a url - as totally separate things.

So the question, as always, is "why?"...

Why would they add this restriction? What does it achieve for them? Or what problem are they addressing?

Any good guesses?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,
    I also received this email by expert. But, the only told me that I could not use the word directv in the URL, but said nothing about the word direct-tv in the url. I think that directv is trademark protected, but direct tv is not, I don't think. The only reason direct tv is more used is because more people search for direct tv than directv.
    So, I think that many, including me might have problems with domains that have directv in them, but should not get in any trouble for direct tv (or at least I hope so).
    But, at the same time, I think that if they want people to sell their stuff, they should let us use their trademark. I always thought that we can use their trademark if we are selling their products, which is what we are doing.
    But, I really do want to have more clarity on this issue as well.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

funny thing though burgi I didnt even get an email.. just a phone call from expert this morning.. apparently DIRECTV has contacted most of the companies. regarding this trying to enforce it everyone.. both the phrase directv and direct tv burgi.. reason i know its both as my site has the phrase

direct-tv-

not directtv

yet they wanted me to remove their links as they said that applied.. so in your case burgi your in the same boat mate.. i would email them on this..

either way thats ok as expert rarely paidme squat its the other ones that pay.. :0 lol

plus not everyone has said yes to the might DIRECTV... as they feel they dont have grounds to stand on this..

Personaly i am with Andy on this one.. what the heck do they expect us to call it... www.dsfdhskfds.com yeah by the way this is about DIRECTV or DIRECT TV...

nah its a feeble attempt for the fat cats to monopolize the internet.. american express did it.. chase did it.. they basically know that affiliates can do better at SEO than them... and know they will have to pay out money ...

its a right freak show...

somewhere in it all.. i think they need to realize we are doing them a favour and helping them get customers... before we evn make a sale.

Affiliate Manager
    yeah, I did get an email from Expert on Thursday or Friday, telling me I had 24 hours to remove their link from my domain with driectv in it. They didn't say anything about the domain with direct tv in it. So, that was the reason I assumed that direct tv should be ok. But, we'll find out more info soon.
    But, getting back to the email. That email didn't go along the lines of this guy telling me that directv contacted them to not accept sales from sites with directv in the domain, but more like I didn't read their T&C's and that I will be removed of their program if I don't remove their links from teh website in question immediately. Found it kind of rude. So, I mailed back being pretty mad and I guess that came through because the old affiliate manager, who I used to email with a little more often then emailed me back and explained the situation.
    Anyways, I also do think that directv should get of our backs. I thought that they give their retailers the permission to advertise using their trademark. So, why are we not allowed to use their Trademark. And I'm certainly not sure if Direct TV is even their trademark, as the company name is directv and not direct tv.
    But, time will tell how this thing works out. The funny thing is though that I know I could even get great listings for directv with a domain like www.asdfalsdfk.com. Next time, I will take that domain right away and not even have to worry about stuff like that.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread