Affiliate success without writing articles?
    Is there a way to become successful at online marketing without being an online author?

Im not talking about writing a little copy here and there, but rather without you yourself writing thousands and thousands of pages of articles talking about a specific topic.

Sure. I'm sure there are SOME affiliates who find success through article marketing, but I would hazard to guess that MOST successful affiliates do it through other methods.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

What methods?

I mentioned some here in my other thread, but the reply I got back was that none of the others really work that well...which ones am I missing?
    Im new and need help... OF COURSE RIGHT?!! - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

There are some affiliates who are successful (and many who aren't) in each of the areas you mentioned in the other thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Im definitely one that IS NOT successful at the topics I mentioned! LOL

Anyway thanks!
    Last edited by Robato; November 29th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

One thing you can try that may get you some more specific and useful suggestions is to post a site in the review forum: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

lorce, cidlessi
    Well Im not really looking for a review, as I have said that all my sites were one of either
    1) spammy based scrapped type site with adsense
    or
    2) mini site with 5-10 fluff articles written off the top of my head, made specifically to make google think its a real site. When really the site was made ONLY to send targeted keywords to a targeted review lander page to sell info products.

While both of those techniques worked great about 2 or 3 years ago, they dont work now. I have the ability to design and build any type of website with ease as Im a web designer and programmer. My issue is that Im NOT an author! Nor do I want to sit and try to write useful articles, although Im not against hiring someone to write them.

Im more looking for advice on how one would do affiliate marketing WITHOUT having to pick their favorite hobby and WRITE about it. It seems to be a real bummer if the only way to make money is to write articles all day.

--deleted--
    Last edited by Rainmaker; November 30th, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

--deleted--
    My advice / suggestions were already covered in the other thread.

what other thread?

It looks like Rainmaker had made some suggestions and saw that they had already been suggested by others in your intro thread so he removed them.

Im a bit confused. My intro thread had only one reply and it basically told me "pick a hobby you love and write about it....but dont expect any results, at least for years"

It basically hit 3 main points and this is how I read them...

1. Coupon sites are too much work to bother, 5+ year old sites have covered everything and you will never be able to compete
    2. Datafeed sites dont offer anything worthwhile as the net is flooded with them, so back off and just write content on a hobby you enjoy instead.
    3. Just put up content sites and wait a couple of years before you see some traffic. Everyday there are people who think they can just put up sites and make money, so dont think you can profit without years of failure first.

You probably feel Im stepping on your toes, but Im honestly not...Im just telling you how I read your reply. At any rate, Im not here to argue or insult, so please dont take it that way. Im just seriously looking for some answers and advice, but so far Im coming up a bit short....UNLESS, "write about your hobby, but dont expect results for years" is the only answer I can expect.

No offense taken, I am hoping someone can give you the "right" answer, I just explained what happened in this case because I saw the comments this morning and later saw that he had deleted them with the note left as to why. I sure don't think I have all the answers.

Im glad you didn't take offense, because I was not trying to sound bitter and I have no animosity towards anyone's reply. I also dont want to make it sound like I was retaliating to a know it all, because its not what I meant with my last reply.

I just wanted to point out how I read the answer, which fundamentally said "find something you are passionate about and write about it", but I dont want to write about anything! I dont want to be an author, I want to be a marketer. So really Im looking for other avenues that one could go about pushing products online without being the actual author of a "how to" encyclopedia online.
    Last edited by Robato; November 30th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.

dunno how much use I can be, but I come from the other side. i'm pure whitehat and have a site that is my passion and have only begun to (relatively) recently monetize it, but here's what I know.

first and foremost, Google treasures original content. you probably already know this, but it can't be stressed enough. Even if content isn't 100% exactly the same, Google does its best to determine who wrote it first and gives them preference. the only thing that seems to trump this is authority. For example, when i originate content, I'm on top for a while, but when Wall Street Journal or New York Times picks up on it, I quickly get squashed.

so basically, scraping won't help. at a minimum, you'd have to spin it. maybe even multiple times. and personally, the moment I start reading something that's spun, I leave it (because I am looking for content as a reader and spun content is impossible to read).

however, something i've read and decided to put to the test is just how valuable keywords in the domain is. Mind you it's incredibly targeted, but I took a two word term that I rank #1 for, registered it as a domain name, made it nothing but an Amazon.com affiliate site (using AOM), linked to it from my site and immediately Google returns it within the top 5, just hours after the domain name was registered. just something to keep in mind.

so i think it's possible to experience some success with other tactics, but the bottom line is if you're looking for organic traffic, people are generally searching for content and not ads, so without original content, it's harder to claw your way to the top.

what you may want to do is consider simply hiring people to generate content for you, through something like fiverr.com or something. if you angle it right, you should eventually get more money coming in than going out that way.

(eta: not to mention if you can get articles written for $5, it's cheaper than the domain route anyway)
    Last edited by bradk; November 30th, 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Yeah I have to say I agree about being trumped by some authority. Back when I did adult websites, my business partner and I decided to do something nobody in the adult web does very often....we made info niche content sites (before anyone coined the term) We would take a sexual niche and just make a site of about 10 pages talking about that niche and slap up a phpbb forum and it would take off! Well a few of the sexual terms that I had sites listed 4 or 5 times on the front page of google got COMPLETELY RIPPED OFF by wikipedia! Someone took my content and posted it word for word on wikipedia's site and my site dropped off the face of the planet, so I know how that goes!

Anyway, I have hired a few stay at home moms from places like elance and rentacoder to write articles for me for about $10 for 500 words, but I wasnt too impressed with the content. I felt that anyone who would read those fluff filled nonsense articles would just hit the back button as soon as they landed on my site.

Im not really looking to be a "black hat" kinda guy, just find out the most popular methods of making websites without having to write 500-2,000 word pages on how to do something. I have experience, I just dont know what to do with it! lol

migrate reermed
    I found a great thread basically asking the same thing Im asking
    Low Content Websites: Do they make money?? - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

It really would be nice to hear some more in depth kind of answers or perhaps even some site examples.

An example answer I would love to hear would be: (This is total fiction off the top of my head, Ive never tried this and have no idea if that would work.)

"Yes you can create a site without writing 10,000 word essays on your favorite hobby! However you will have to do a little rewriting the descriptions from the datafeed and spend most of your time getting backlinks from posting in forums and blogs. etc."

or

"Yes you can create a site without writing essays on a hobby. You can build a storefront based affiliate website, but you must have a paragraph of unique content at the top of all the items listed in each category though! The real important thing to do is to blah blah blah etc

Here are some sites that do this type of thing
    Example Web Page
    "

I found a thread that shows examples
    Affiliate Website Examples... - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

However, all of these are REALLY THIN affiliate datafeed sites and nearly 99% of the examples I went through have a big fat zero or "unranked" page rank on them. So these certainly arent prime examples of something successful. However considering that I could probably make one of these in probably less than an hour, I could bang out hundreds a month! The real question would be, "do these cover their own cost for the domain and hosting?"....I would assume not.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread