Hijacking Affilate Coding
    I have a video capture of gimmie------bargians hijacking my affiliate code. The video shows clicking from my site to a merchant's site and everything looks fine - my affiliate code is in the url, etc., then as soon as you click on any of the merchant's links, my affiliate code is replaced with gimmies code. This site is owned by the same person that owns Linksador. This is pure theft. Keep this in mind if they are an affiliate of yours.

Kellie, owner of AffiliateFairPlay.com captured the video. Thank you Kellie!

(I purposely messed up the name of gimmie-the-thief's site, but you all can probably figure it out)
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

15 years and counting
    The guy is in Georgia, Hiram. He's not above the law. You can send Kellie's video with an email to all your merchants to get him deactivated. I don't think the networks will do much to help you. And yes, this is pure theft.
    Last edited by Zeus; November 30th, 2010 at 09:53 AM.

I sent it to the merchant whose site it happened on, but I haven't heard back. It's just been one day, so I expect to hear something soon. I also sent it to the network, but yeah, they probably already know. From what I understand -- gimmi -- is a 4-star affl. w/ CJ. No wonder..huh?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Zeus, that is Hiram, Georgia? The reason I am asking is because the FBI's division of cyber crimes wanted to know and I couldn't figure it out.
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    leeann

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    According to Whois, if it's accurate info, it is Hiram, GA.

The 4-star rating came from a blog post by Geno back in early May of this year. That could have changed by now. Geno posted a screenshot from when they applied to one of his programs.

I don't think the networks will do much to help you.
    Depends on the network. I have seen the account terminated from some networks.

In the case of CJ, let us not forget that CJ is under a class action settlement agreement regarding adware activity in the network. Not to mention all hoopla surrounding Ebay and cookie stuffing while they were on CJ. There should be some extra motivation there.

Oh and you are very welcome Leeann.

15 years and counting
    Leeann, PM sent with the guy address in GA & phone nbs. email: linksador [at] gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Leeann, PM sent with the guy address in GA & phone nbs. email: linksador [at] gmail.com
    Thanks Zeus. I have an complaint filed w/ ic3.gov. I filled in the blanks.
    leeann

Best of luck, Leann. Man, I hate to see this crap.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks Kevin. It's been a tough six months and I about drove myself nuts trying to find out what was wrong. This isn't all Kellie turned up. I am still trying to understand some of the other problems -- like shopping cart theft -- that she uncovered from other software programs. I hate to sound like a whiner, but I'm sure anyone who is honest can understand the frustration of just being ripped off. All the hours that all of us of work, then to just have it stolen from you. The only thing missing is the fear of having a gun to my head---but all the rest feels like I would feel if I walked into my house and found I had been ripped off.
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
    leeann

I just added Geno's link to the ic3.gov complaint. I'll also keep everyone informed on any success I have w/ the complaint.
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
    leeann

is this from a toolbar or what?

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    I didn't see one in the video capture, but Kellie could answer you better than I can.
    leeann

Leeann. I know how you feel! It just seems that we have to spend time watching out for the Ripoffs. One thing I have noticed is when I click on any of my Shareasale links my account number appears and when I check my account I see the clicks there.
    I believe all Networks should adapt the same instead of the BS they have a differant tracking system.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I didn't see one in the video capture, but Kellie could answer you better than I can.
    there's more info on Geno's page (linked above) - probably the same thing going on now

thanks

You can see some of what we are up against in the videos posted on here. - http://www.amnavigator.com/blog/2010...rgains-adware/

This is not the video of my site's activity. In mine you can see the url code affiliate number just switch out. It's just ..............awful.
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    leeann

wow - superCool just did some G'ing and it looks like they are into all kinds of stuff ... BHO, "free" screensavers, etc..

I don't get overly focused on if it's a toolbar or what, because you can achieve alot of the same behavior (end result) with different technologies. But to answer your question, no it is not a toolbar but a BHO. It uses a .dll file.

The additional info on Geno's site came from a report I put up on my site. The videos he linked to are the same videos I posted here on ABW in the Linksador thread.

leeann, that is awful and glad you are getting help from Kelly and others.

Some people are just scum.

Have you gotten any legal advice?

Also, make sure you document everything and take lots of screenshots. Report them to Google.

wow - superCool just did some G'ing and it looks like they are into all kinds of stuff ... BHO, "free" screensavers, etc..
    Yep. If you look at some posts in the blackhat and blackhat leaning forums, he was known by many prior to launching his own contextual adware network.

There are other sites connected to him that I know from way back and buying traffic through places like Zango.

He's got some PPCSE stuff going on as well I've seen coming through Linksador.

It's really not that there are a tons of affiliates doing this stuff. There are a handful with several identities and reappearing with different angles to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    leeann, that is awful and glad you are getting help from Kelly and others.

Some people are just scum.

Have you gotten any legal advice?

Also, make sure you document everything and take lots of screenshots. Report them to Google.
    The legal advice is next on my list. I'm not someone that has a lawyer waiting for me to call, so I've got to find someone who knows about cyber theft. It's going to take a little research. When I go this route, I want someone who understands the laws governing all of this type of activity.
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
    leeann

Kellie, I just don't get how these people can get approved as affiliates with the reputations that they have.
    leeann

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The company's incorporated.

Linksador Incorporated: a Georgia business

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If there are enough merchants voicing their opinions about this, I am sure the network will do something. Especially where there is no EULA served and modifying the .dll file. Just plain ol' wrong!

Unfortunately I am not on the ecommerce side of things on the big 3 networks, or I will have a piece to say in any merchant advisory board.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread