Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Google Buying Groupon?
    Last edited by leeann; November 30th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

That buzz has been going around for a couple weeks. I'd say it's going to happen sooner than later. Latest numbers are upwards of $6b, would be hard to say no to that.

Just as you found alternatives to GAN, there are alternatives to Groupon. Not appropriate to list them in their forum however.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I made this call years ago.

The future is:
    Google gets incredible deal from Sony (50%+ off) and offers the deal to anyone looking to buy a similar TV using google.com.

Everyone is happy:
    Sony
    The customer
    Google

Google will make as profound changes to commerce, then Walmart did for brick and mortar retail.

This is another business optimization process that will cut many jobs. Hopefully this will take years so we can all adjust and stay ahead of these giants.

All the hyped ideas discussed during the late 90s dot.com boom/bust, is "discretely" happening, for real. All the craziest 90s ideas are happening but now with people making real money. "Less pompadour and more money" is the modus operandi of this decade...
    Last edited by delsol; November 30th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Well... I just signed up with Groupon on CJ a few days ago, but have not yet put up any links as I have not decided how to use them. Now it looks like it's time to drop them.
    Last edited by Cagles Mill; November 30th, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Groupon is hiring 150 (mostly sales people) per month!

That seems a little crazy...I remember during the dot.com years similar stories all ended belly-up. No small biz can assimilate 40 people per week without chaos at best....

Google Said to Near Deal to Buy Groupon for $6 Billion - Bloomberg

Now with the backing of Google and its deep pockets anything is possible. Monopoly changes every business dynamic in any given field.

After the bohemian atmosphere of the early days of the web, we are seeing the ugly face of huge corporations streching toward their monopoly nirvana. Resistance will be required but probably futile.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01 View Post
    Just as you found alternatives to GAN, there are alternatives to Groupon. Not appropriate to list them in their forum however.
    I partly get what you are saying ... but then again I don't think censorship is a good thing. Having a forum shouldn't remove a merchant from critique - even critique that reminds users of alternatives.

There are still quite a few IFs (if Google buys Groupon, if Groupon moves to GAN, if Groupon doesn't leave their CJ program open, etc.), but I have to admit that it concerns me, too. GAN has some great people, but they're my least favorite of the large networks primarily because of the slow payment cycle and the way they've treated some affiliates who can't get AdSense accounts. It would definitely impact my desire to promote them.

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post
    I don't think censorship is a good thing. Having a forum shouldn't remove a merchant from critique - even critique that reminds users of alternatives.
    Critique is one thing (and it's certainly allowed and even encouraged), but promoting competiting programs on someone's paid forum would be tacky and rude. It's fine to do so in the general forums. (If anyone wants to discuss this further, please start a thread in the Suggestions & Problems forum.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post

Critique is one thing (and it's certainly allowed and even encouraged), but promoting competiting programs on someone's paid forum would be tacky and rude. It's fine to do so in the general forums. (If anyone wants to discuss this further, please start a thread in the Suggestions & Problems forum.)
    Not to mention there's no definitive evidence to suggest she (or anyone else) needs to find an alternative just yet. Likely, yes. Definitive, no.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I actually just grabbed a couple restaurant deals on there lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Not to mention there's no definitive evidence to suggest she (or anyone else) needs to find an alternative just yet. Likely, yes. Definitive, no.
    I hope I wasn't too tacky in my earlier comment. While there may or may not be a need for an alternative. I would still seek out other options even with the intent to continue promoting Groupon. Providing options to your users is simply part of being an affiliate.

There's some interesting news for those that are following this, the story may get bigger if the deal does happen... Perhaps with leeann's permission this thread could be relocated?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

That's fine with me. I'm intrigued..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    "It is estimated that the deal would be around $5-$6 billion dollar, and that would be close to twice the amount they paid for their largest acquisition which was $3.1 billion purchase of DoubleClick, the display advertising giant in 2007" link

YouTube purchase in 2006 for $1.65 billion

That is quite a lump sum
    Last edited by Eric Ewe; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:58 AM.

Oh I can't blame the company for selling out to Google. I just wish they wouldn't because, as a customer, I really like how they do things. Can't say that for Google companies that involve customer service.
    Last edited by leeann; December 2nd, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
    leeann

As my friend Gordon Gekko once said:

It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation

Quote Originally Posted by knight01 View Post
    ... I would still seek out other options even with the intent to continue promoting Groupon........
    As I stated in another thread I would not promote them since they do list some of the same merchants that I am an affiliate. But that has nothing to do with them Selling to Google or the moving to GAN (if that happens) Some of these merchants will even void the commision if a Groupon offer is used during the sale (even if they go through my affiliate link)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Can't comment on if Google will buy them or not but noticed other day that Groupon just opened a France program so they're evidently gettin bigger and bigger every day.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Groupon purchased two companies in Asia (i think Japan and dunno where)
    And just opened a office in Singapore.

Now sure how long they can last with that light speed growth.
    But IMO, China is the next big market.. x Billion people?

Just like Google Groupon also has an amazing reach. Overnight they could practically expand Groupon to earn up to $25 billion in yearly revenue if done properly. Most of this revenue would turn to pure profit. This only means that it will be the right decision to purchase Groupon. I'm sure it will be a win to both companies.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; December 3rd, 2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Removed link

imagine all the personal spending and preference information they will have access to after they buy groupon.

they will use it to enhance your search and shopping experiences.

TechCrunch is now saying the deal is off.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    TechCrunch is now saying the deal is off.
    The Chicago Tribune is reporting the same:

Sources: Groupon rejects Google’s offer; will stay independent

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, turning down 6 Billion. Don't know, they're the most well known, but there are others out there and more coming. Wondering if they're just playing, trying to squeeze a lil more out of them. Time will tell if they look back and kick themselves for not taking this deal.

This is great news! Now I can keep my personal Groupon account Next week I'm headed for a free full-body massage thanks to Groupon.
    Last edited by leeann; December 4th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Damn, turning down 6 Billion. Don't know, they're the most well known, but there are others out there and more coming. Wondering if they're just playing, trying to squeeze a lil more out of them. Time will tell if they look back and kick themselves for not taking this deal.
    It's awesome to think that if you're offered $6B, you can still "squeeze a little more out of them". i guess my brain just doesn't operate the realm of that many zeros
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

What I like the most about all of it, is that it just proves that you can still take a pretty simple concept and build it into a multi-billion dollar business. This company started when? Like 2 years ago? There is still hope for online innovation.
    leeann

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast