As a sales and marketing consultant I deal with established and strong companies in various industries and help them understand the value of getting involved in affiliate marketing.

I tell my clients that you make the affiliates your partners that have a vested interest in your mutual success - so it is a great win/win. (By the way if anyone has requests for companies within specific verticals or product types that you would like to see start an affiliate program let me know and I will let them know - it doesnt need to be specific...something like hottubs or lampposts...is fine...)

However I normally work with large companies and trade organizations because it is easier to get the message out. Recently I was contacted by a large international IT resources assocation - many people are frustrated by not knowing what they should do about this IT issue or that and really dont want to leave their information since they see that as the equivalent of writing "for a good time call" on a bathroom wall - then getting hundreds of calls from whomeever about severs or whatever.

So the association wants to put a program together by which people can contact them, use them as a resource for answers, and then match them whatever firms in their area have good track records at that.

The problem is that I am not sure a B2B affiliate effort would be accepted as much since the while the sales are generally huge, the sales cycle is much higher. The good part is that the sales reps in whatever firm generally close at very high percentages since they are very customer centric but again that issue with is someone going to be willing to put a link on their webpage or whatnot and be willing to wait 60 days for payment or even 90 when the sale is large.

So suggestions? Does anyone know any good B2B resources or people that even handle this type of thing? If so what suggestions do you have for how you would like to to be run?

At this point it is in the nascent stages but the concept seems potent if I can just figure out how to get past the long sales cycle issue - thousands of dollars per sale doesnt help if the person has to wait months to get it - but sometimss a sale would take 30-90 days to close... sometimes more...

Any suggestions?

ABW Ambassador
    Are you looking for something like:
    http://www.linkshare.com/merchants/b2b.shtml ?

Yes I have heard of LinkShare but the problem is that I have not heard that much good "buzz" about them and they seem to have more front end costs than most.

When you are dealing with a trade association or hundreds of companies - it is easy to get them agree on the value of giving up a certain percentage for sales they otherwise would never have had - but it is much more difficult for all the members to decide to pay the front end costs for something that they believe might or might not work. There are many people out there selling anakeoil "one size fits all" solutions that promise much more than they deliver and they are understandably gunshy about it.

In actually the best fit is something that gets good C level traffic, or has IT personnel that use it often. I believe LinkShare has an exclusivity rule that precludes other sources which makes it slightly problematic too.

But it may actually be the only real network for B2B out there...hopefully that is not the case.

Any other suggestions?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread