Odd Search Result
    I was attempting to do a search to find some new networks to look into and put the following into the Advanced Search options -

search query: best network
    timeframe: past 6 months
    other: found in title (vs. posts)

But - on the search results I received the following message:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: best

Given that I had already reduced the possibilities by specifying title only and previous 6 months I was surprised by this editing by the search system.

Is there a way to 'force' such a search to happen anyway?

Cheers~

One change we made a long time ago was lowering the minimum word size from 4 characters to 3, so that the many 3 letter industry abbreviations (CPA, EPC, PPC, SEO, etc.) can be searched. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to globally bypass the "common words" filter.

In cases where you're searching for a common phrase or something that's hard to find with the normal search, a Google Search (using "site:abestweb.com" as one of the search terms) is probably best.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

i'm assuming this is related, so just as future reference, MySQL (and pretty much any other SQL engine I'd also assume), has a series of words called 'stop words' that are ignored during full-text searches for streamlining purposes (out of the box, the aforementioned <4 character words being ignored also is because of this).

the full default list, of which best is one, is listed at MySQL :: MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual :: 11.9.4 Full-Text Stopwords

I'm pretty sure the list can be altered on a technical level, but is probably more trouble than it's worth.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread