ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If Google were to display results from sites the Chinese government blocks, computer users would end up clicking on links that lead nowhere — something the search engine has always tried to avoid.

"Google has decided that in order to create the best possible search experience for our mainland China users we will not include sites whose content is not accessible," company spokeswoman Debbie Frost said Friday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like Google is doing the best they can considering the situation.

I don't agree. By rolling over and giving in to Chinese censorship -- by pretending that the blocked sites don't even exist -- Google is implicitly and practically endorsing China's blocking efforts.

Google is in the unusual position of being such a key resources that China can't afford to block it. Recall that in September 2002, China blocked Google -- indeed, even replaced requests for google.com with other search engines. (Link shows the screen-shots I made in Sep '02 of the other sites that could come up when users requested google.com.) But Google was just too important for China to block.

If Google promotes the blocked sites, there will be considerable pressure for China to unblock at least some portion of those sites. Meanwhile, the current approach is at best a missed opportunity -- and at worst a power grab, wherein Google trades the moral high-ground ("we do not endorse or cooperate with Chinese censorship") with practical business advantage ("we want market share in China").

I'm disappointed.

That's a good arguement you make Ben. My mind isn't made up on it but I sure would like to see someone maybe even google work to spark the Chinese desire for freedom.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread