Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the difference between - Joomla Plugins Questions
    CMS shopbuilder and VM shopbuilder for joomla,

Anyone knows the difference?

Thank you.

anyone would like to share his/her experience in cms shopbuilder for joomla? I would really love to hear about it, and if it is easy to use through joomla.

Doubt you'll get too many who will respond to your questions. Joomla has never had a very big following at ABW. Most folks here either use professional web design stuff like FrontPage or Microsoft Extension or Dreamweaver/Adobe stuff -- or they set up WordPress as a CMS and/or create their own sites from scratch with HTML text editors and PHP editors.

I've heard one or two people talk about Joomla, and I think if you search the forums you might find some discussion about Joomla and shopbuilder, but I'm not sure.

Maybe this will "bump" the thread and get you some responses.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    I changed the title of the thread to be more accurate so that people that work with Joomla might answer. I know zip about Joomla, even when I worked with pre-WordPress cms softwares, Joomla wasn't one I liked.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I am kind of lost here, hard to decide,

I was really interested in cms shop builder until today,
    first I went to the main website where they sell cms and vm shop builder, was kind of hard for me to understand the difference and which one I should consider,

Then I tried to look for some good reviews, couldn't find any solid ones in my all search, something that I can rely on, I just know one thing so far, there are no complains about the actual software (or extension) not that I know about, but also there are no good support from their website as they don't reply to emails!,

Then I decided to go to joomla forum and extensions, and I was shocked when I saw cms shop builder was unpublished there without saying a word of why is that,
    But VM shop builder is still there,
    Now nice thing about VM shop build is that it has many extension you can add for it later on whenever you want, but on their website it says it is more selective or something like it shows less products than cms shop builder,

Now in addition to the no support or email reply from their website, I started to be little nervous and unsure about what to do,

I need a service where I can download datafeed to my server or computer and easily customize them and display them in joomla (as articles or whatsoever)
    same time since I am a beginner, I would be willing to spend of not more than $100 on the software (or extension),

I looked through webmerge, it looks ok but I am unsure since I am a beginner and not sure how compatible it is with joomla, how easy it is to be used ...etc,

Not sure if there are any other services (softwares) that can do the same idea and has wide range of use on the affiliate networks,

I really need big help here and very good advice and suggestions,

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by onedream; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    I changed the title of the thread to be more accurate so that people that work with Joomla might answer. I know zip about Joomla, even when I worked with pre-WordPress cms softwares, Joomla wasn't one I liked.
    Thank you for changing the title. and yes I noticed every time I post something about joomla I get no or little replies!, guess not many here are using it,

I have already customized my website and is almost ready to go, I am just looking for datafeed software that can help me customize my categories and subcategories.

Have you looked at GoldenCan or PopShops? I think you mentioned a problem you had with GoldenCan so I think you are familiar with their services.
    PopShops is similar but offers different options such as showing all the shoes from 10 different merchants for example - and lets you choose what level of service you want. They offer just about every format there is, so if you want javascript or php or xml, they have it. They have a forum here on ABW, but recently they are more active on FaceBook. They work with the datafeeds, you just set up the merchants and products and pay them for their services. It lets you get a quick start while you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Have you looked at GoldenCan or PopShops? I think you mentioned a problem you had with GoldenCan so I think you are familiar with their services.
    PopShops is similar but offers different options such as showing all the shoes from 10 different merchants for example - and lets you choose what level of service you want. They offer just about every format there is, so if you want javascript or php or xml, they have it. They have a forum here on ABW, but recently they are more active on FaceBook. They work with the datafeeds, you just set up the merchants and products and pay them for their services. It lets you get a quick start while you learn.
    Thank you again 2busy for the reply, I do have GoldenCan service and they did fix my issues and I am happy with it so far,

I went through popShop, I just don't like being limited with products or an already set products as with time I might decide to change type of products or the way I display them based on my need,

so what I am looking for is a software that I own and I can download the datafeed and decided which I want and which one I don't and display them in the way I like and do some changes until I decide to set it up the way that fit my needs, I thought cms shopbuilder would be one, but there are no reviews but only one through my whole search on google, and for webmerge it is not giving enough information and didn't see a demo website for it, so I am kind of confused!

WebMerge builds html pages and sites from a datafeed using templates that you build.

Popshops does let you block categories of products you don't want to show and you can remove things anytime you want, but like anything automated it is only as good as the feed that goes into it and the choices you make in setting it up. PopShops is very customizable and can be adjusted every day if you like.

Have you looked at PriceTapestry, I think BurgerBoy suggested that script to you? All of the tools and services are only as good as your own ability to set them up. You can probably pay someone to set them up for you, but until you learn the basics so you are able to do what you want to accomplish and maintain things yourself, I don't think there is any perfect way to get there.

yes I checked PriceTapestry, it looks fine but the price is too much for me $300, with that price I can buy 3 services and check them out, like buying webmerge, cms shopbuilder ..and check them both out,
    I might consider it later though,
    I think I am going to consider cms shopbuilder for now since it is already a joomla extension and then see how things go,
    I don't mind doing little work as long as it fits my needs and I like the demo for cms shopbuilder, I am just worried about the support.

http and a telephoto
    If there is no support and you are paying for it, then you need to drop that idea. Go to elance and put out a bid for someone to build what you want.

FYI - There are a multitude of plugins (paid - most in the $100 range) for Wordpress that will take a datafeed and make posts from the entries that are fit to your own template that you can then go in and edit, or you can edit the spreadsheet before you create the posts.
    Deborah Carney

If there is no support and you are paying for it, then you need to drop that idea. Go to elance and put out a bid for someone to build what you want.

FYI - There are a multitude of plugins (paid - most in the $100 range) for Wordpress that will take a datafeed and make posts from the entries that are fit to your own template that you can then go in and edit, or you can edit the spreadsheet before you create the posts.
    Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it, I am not trying to be stubborn but I can see how cms shopbuilder is kind of a neat extension for joomla, so I decided to purchase it,

The difference between cms shopbuilder and other plugin or module is that cms shopbuilder can be a one solution extension for the website, you can import the datafeed and then set it the way you want and make your product display so unique, you can even mix many merchants, and it is a one time fee in addition it makes it all SEO friendly, while other plans from other developers are monthly fee based and they aren't SEO friendly, and by looking at different websites they all look the same except in the design of the template,

Like I said before, the only problem is there is no support at all for it, which if you have little experience in html and css then I believe you wouldn't need it at all, and I can see another issue of why the guy stopped supporting his software which I think it is mismarketting as there are no activation key for it, they just send the software to you and it makes it easier to be resell again or giving it to others for free, so the guy who created it was actually losing money or not making enough, at least this is what I believe,

I am going to try the cms shopbuilder and will update you with what I find about it, advantages and disadvantages,
    I really believe this one will work for me just great but not sure as I am running into a small issue now and I would love some advice:

I have a nice footer in my website which is about 93% wide, and I have a wrapper too that is kind of pink or something color, they display just fine on my website,
    Now that I used cms shopbuilder I created list of products and added them to content and they were displayed just great on my website BUT the ( 1, 2, 3 and next button) + (more articles or recent articles) + (search bar, mine is at the bottom) + (footer) they are all squeezed and displayed at an article, I mean like another product that is displayed at the bottom of the page but it doesn't contain a product, it contains footer, next button, search bar ...etc,
    they are surrounded by borders and squeezed in the middle just like a product but without article name!

What am I doing wrong here?
    Any advice?
    I am sure some people used this extension before, I am sure they didn't run into issue like this or they fixed it, but I just can't get hold to any of them, like there was a guy here (bigendz) I think that was his nickname posted something about him using this software but for some reason I can't PM him,

Thank you very much,
    Best regards,
    Onedream

The problem you are describing sounds like a Div or Table was not closed at the end of the products. Make sure each tag you open has a closing tag too. If your <div>s are floating (left or right) they need to be cleared and if it is using tables it needs to close the data, row and table tags.

Outsourced Program Manager Ross Yamashita's Avatar
    I've actually used Joomla for several sites - both 1.5 and beta 1.6. Haven't used that particular plugin but another thing you may want to check is how the placement is of different modules are. Depending on what template you're using, you may find it easier to simply alter where you put your modules, etc. - it may not result in the "perfect" look you were looking for but it may be a nice fix until you find out the underlying problem.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    The problem you are describing sounds like a Div or Table was not closed at the end of the products. Make sure each tag you open has a closing tag too. If your <div>s are floating (left or right) they need to be cleared and if it is using tables it needs to close the data, row and table tags.
    Bless you 2busy, this is exactly what happens, when I checked html it says warning there is missing </div>, there is unclosed tag,
    Problem is I don't know where to look for or how to fix it, is the missing tag inside the article or outside the article or somewhere else,?
    See the software is generating articles and insert the products in it, I have seen another joomla website that is using the same plugin and it has a footer too (not as big and detailed as mine, but it has one) but the products display just fine with no issues, but mine does,
    is the missing tag inside the content of the article or outside? do I have to close it from the article its self or it is the plugin that keeps it open and I have to go through css or somewhere? or there may be a setting that I am doing wrong when I import and display the datafeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Yamashita View Post
    I've actually used Joomla for several sites - both 1.5 and beta 1.6. Haven't used that particular plugin but another thing you may want to check is how the placement is of different modules are. Depending on what template you're using, you may find it easier to simply alter where you put your modules, etc. - it may not result in the "perfect" look you were looking for but it may be a nice fix until you find out the underlying problem.

Good luck.
    What do you mean by altering where I put the modules?
    The only extension I have installed so far is: jSeblod-cck and cms shopbuider and the template,
    I tried to write some test articles in one page and crossed to the second page, but I didn't have the same problem, the footer stays where it is,
    it is only when I import the datafeed from a datafeed file, or when I import them directly from CJ and then display them into contents then I run into the issue of the footer,

well, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but here it is:
    My website template is dynamic,
    the plugin says: the catalog import is dynamic but the content import is static, and that I have to change the content setting before I import feeds because they will be imported based on the setting on the content at the time,
    do you think I am not doing the setting for the content right?

Unhappy The Answer
    I have this plugin and the same experience with the site. I actually tracked down the developer. He claims a new version is coming but who knows with this shady group.

Anyway here is the mysql query that will remove this freaked up div tag. Go to my php and run the following against your DB.

Change "dbname" to your db name. Do this AFTER and only after importing all products. Since the import puts the broken div tag in on every call, you must run this after every import.

UPDATE dbname_content SET introtext = replace( introtext,'<div>', '' ) ;

Good plugin but a few amazing bugs like this. I would not reccomed it unless you have a lot of technical patience and dont mind being generally ripped off on support.
    Last edited by ACL; December 11th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACL View Post
    I have this plugin and the same experience with the site. I actually tracked down the developer. He claims a new version is coming but who knows with this shady group.

Anyway here is the mysql query that will remove this freaked up div tag. Go to my php and run the following against your DB.

Change "dbname" to your db name. Do this AFTER and only after importing all products. Since the import puts the broken div tag in on every call, you must run this after every import.

UPDATE dbname_content SET introtext = replace( introtext,'<div>', '' ) ;

Good plugin but a few amazing bugs like this. I would not reccomed it unless you have a lot of technical patience and dont mind being generally ripped off on support.

Hi ACL and welcome to the forum,
    You don't know how much I am excited to get this reply, I really appreciate it, I am going to give it a try and hope it will work,
    I have one question though, when you say I have to do it after each import, does that mean I have to import everything I need at one time and then run this on db or doesn't matter, I mean for example I can import 10 products and then run this on db and then import another 10 and run this on db again ...etc, according to what I need on my website?

Again, thank you very much for this reply and welcome to abestweb.

Joomla is pretty famous for bugs and plugins that will crash the entire site. A lot of Jommla followers have been bailing out on it due to the over bloated code and lack of community support.

you should check out Drupal or Wordpress on your fee time both have a great community full of helpful creative people.

This has nothing to do with Joomla at all. It is the plugin developer only. IN fact Joomla is rock solid these days.

Quote Originally Posted by onedream View Post
    You don't know how much I am excited to get this reply, I really appreciate it, I am going to give it a try and hope it will work,
    I have one question though, when you say I have to do it after each import, does that mean I have to import everything I need at one time and then run this on db or doesn't matter, I mean for example I can import 10 products and then run this on db and then import another 10 and run this on db again ...etc, according to what I need on my website?

Yes,You must run after EVERY import. If you do not, the new products will cause the same error.
    Last edited by ACL; December 11th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onedream View Post

I missed part of the question. No you do not need to reimport all products. Only new products get thebad div Tag. Just run it after any import for 10 or 10,000. If not the tag will come back and the display will misbehave.
    Last edited by ACL; December 11th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.

http and a telephoto
    This is a PAID plugin? I'd run if something this simple isn't fixed by them immediately after they know about it. And it sounds like they know about this.

Don't support bad coding by paying for it.
    Deborah Carney

This is a PAID plugin? I'd run if something this simple isn't fixed by them immediately after they know about it. And it sounds like they know about this.

Don't support bad coding by paying for it.
    Yes I mentioned that they were in fact ripping off customers by not provding support. I just consider it scrap code that I can use to my advantage.

http and a telephoto
    If people keep buying it with flaws they don't have to update it. But hey, it isn't my money.

I missed part of the question. No you do not need to reimport all products. Only new products get thebad div Tag. Just run it after any import for 10 or 10,000. If not the tag will come back and the display will misbehave.
    Thank you very much for the answer, I really appreciate it.

Yes I mentioned that they were in fact ripping off customers by not provding support. I just consider it scrap code that I can use to my advantage.
    I agree.
    The only thing that really made me do this purchase is: this module is so easy to use, easy to control and easy to mix the products together and have them displayed the way I want and fit the needs for my website.
    To be honest, I didn't realize I will need any support as the way I looked at their demo it sounded like it was that easy and it was all I needed, but after having the missing tags and the mess in my website, well, apparently I was so wrong,
    Anyway I have someone looking at it now and see if he can do something for my website.

If people keep buying it with flaws they don't have to update it. But hey, it isn't my money.
    You are right loxly, and I know you warned me before I do the purchase and thank you for that, but like I said earlier I didn't realize I will need any support as long as the module display the products on my website but after the mess I had I admit I was wrong.

But I promise you, when I am done with my website, I will post a very detailed review on this forum about that module and make sure no one will touch or purchase that module again, Plus I will report it to business bureau, and will write a complain to paypal, and another complain to the host and try to either stop the payment process on that website or shut it all down.
    Last edited by onedream; December 12th, 2010 at 12:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast