Learning to manage a datafeed site
    Quick question here since someone mentioned the word (sign up),

is it important to have a (log in) in your affiliate website? I mean to get people to log in into your website? or having an affiliate website without log in would work just as fine?

as for books and ebooks, I searched a lot for one with no success, I even posted a thread here if anyone can help with finding a good book but no reply,
    I searched amazon, borders, even went to stores here in Oklahoma but no success, all I found are some reports or some people may call them trash or silly materials, those on how to make a million, mistakes to avoid and sometimes they spend the first 5 pages out of 50 just talking about some affiliate marketing trash (sorry for my language),

what I really was looking for is: a book that explain to me how to encode the datafeed in my website myself to have my website to be unique than using regular service which kind of make all websites look the same, I wanted a book that explain how to organize those datafeed in my website, something that is explained for dummies in an easy way but no luck, the only thing I found was a thread here on the abestweb.com that goes back to 2005 for someone how to tried to explain the process, it was a very cool thread, but was little hard for me and some fight started there too between the responders lol,

Anyway I was hoping for one that is current date and very simple, but no luck!

Cool
    I would avoid having people log in to enter your site, at least not until there is a reason to.

personally I can't believe a mailing list will make for a good affiliate site, although I suppose it all depends on what you're selling. to me, most traffic is going to be via search engines and you have one page to convince someone to buy something before they move on to another site. a mailing list makes for a semi-captive audience, but you're going to have to convince people first to sign up and then to stay with you, let alone make purchases.

as for your second question, I don't think you're going to find the answer by looking at affiliate ebooks (you might, but it's doubtful). you have to look at the broader picture of what you're trying to accomplish which is to take a datafeed from the affiliate program and massage the data, usually done via server side scripting and a database.

so if you're going to attempt to manipulate and present the data all yourself, I'd recommend focusing on something like a LAMP server (that's a combination of Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) and learn how to develop PHP database apps that way. Of course, any other typical web development platform should work as well, PHP is just my personal preference.

Because when it all comes down to it, you're really looking to create a database app that just happens to be filled with affiliate links.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    I would avoid having people log in to enter your site, at least not until there is a reason to.
    That's what I thought, but how about if you have blogs? would you let them comment?

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    personally I can't believe a mailing list will make for a good affiliate site, although I suppose it all depends on what you're selling. to me, most traffic is going to be via search engines and you have one page to convince someone to buy something before they move on to another site. a mailing list makes for a semi-captive audience, but you're going to have to convince people first to sign up and then to stay with you, let alone make purchases.

as for your second question, I don't think you're going to find the answer by looking at affiliate ebooks (you might, but it's doubtful). you have to look at the broader picture of what you're trying to accomplish which is to take a datafeed from the affiliate program and massage the data, usually done via server side scripting and a database.

so if you're going to attempt to manipulate and present the data all yourself, I'd recommend focusing on something like a LAMP server (that's a combination of Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) and learn how to develop PHP database apps that way. Of course, any other typical web development platform should work as well, PHP is just my personal preference.

Because when it all comes down to it, you're really looking to create a database app that just happens to be filled with affiliate links.
    well, not sure about php app and how to hard to learn it, I just thought there will be something explain it in steps like: how to put an elephant in the fridge in 3 steps?

Step 1 open the fridge
    Step 2 put the elephant inside the fridge
    Step 3 close the fridge

and that's it!

now here is another question for you, you would think that if someone wants to buy something then he is already looking for it and that's how he ended up on your website, now if he landed on your website he might buy and he might not depends on what? price? or store name? ...or?

and how about if someone isn't looking for something but he landed on your website through search engine, do you think there is a possibility he will end up buying? and why? cool product? ... discount price? sales?

even if it is on sales or clearance, I think many stores don't pay commission on such things, right?

I split this post and the responses into a new thread because it is quite different from the original topic. One place you can learn to build and manage a datafeed site is at Building a Datafeed Site – Step 1
    Everything you need to get a basic start is there, but you really should take the time to learn html, css, php and MySql to be able to do what you want and to make progress on your own. All that learning is free online at W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    I split this post and the responses into a new thread because it is quite different from the original topic. One place you can learn to build and manage a datafeed site is at Building a Datafeed Site Step 1
    Everything you need to get a basic start is there, but you really should take the time to learn html, css, php and MySql to be able to do what you want and to make progress on your own. All that learning is free online at W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    Good luck.
    I love you 2busy, you always give a great direction, thank you thank you thank you very much for those links!

One day, not too long from now you can help someone else who's just starting, that's what ABW is for

a question,

What is the difference between CSS and PHP?
    I know in joomla, CSS rely on HTML as everytime I use firebug to locate something it shows it to me in html and css

css is a way to tell a browser how to style various components on a web page.. it's an extension of HTML. at it's crudest level, it says to make all the text on a page a certain color.

PHP is a programming language which runs through an interpreter on the web server. it processes information and then usually presents information to the web browser. it's primarily used for dynamic information. for example, you could have it echo the current date as opposed to a static HTML file where the file would have to be manually edited each day to accomplish the same thing.

it has more in common with javascript than css, although javascript runs on the user's browser as opposed to php which runs on the server so the user never sees any of the actual code like they can with javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    css is a way to tell a browser how to style various components on a web page.. it's an extension of HTML. at it's crudest level, it says to make all the text on a page a certain color.

PHP is a programming language which runs through an interpreter on the web server. it processes information and then usually presents information to the web browser. it's primarily used for dynamic information. for example, you could have it echo the current date as opposed to a static HTML file where the file would have to be manually edited each day to accomplish the same thing.

it has more in common with javascript than css, although javascript runs on the user's browser as opposed to php which runs on the server so the user never sees any of the actual code like they can with javascript.
    now that I got this point, so if I want to work on the php of my website I have to log into my host and work on it from there unlike css where I can work on it from the admin part, right?

probably, if you're talking about the CSS used by a CMS like joomla.

i wouldn't really focus on the css right now. you'll need a basic understanding of HTML to at least output stuff from the PHP scripts, but right now the focus should be on PHP (and eventually MySQL). CSS is more like the icing on the cake, so you need to make the cake batter first. and with PHP, you're probably looking at using FTP to move the scripts between your computer and the server.

then learning php first it is,

now if I write a php script, for example for the datafeed to be displayed on my website, should I just write the script and then upload it to my server through ftp, or I have to implant in a specific place on my server in order to work?

and I really appreciate your replies, thanks a lot.

To work on the php of your site, you should have a copy of your site installed on your computer and use a developer setup like LAMP or WAMP to practice and learn php - and not edit the site itself until you are sure of the changes you are making. The Joomla site has more information about that. You can break your site if you go making changes without a full understanding of what you are doing.

It is good to have goals, but none of the things discussed in this thread are things you learn overnight. Until you are sure of what you are doing you should not make sitewide changes. It is like learning to walk before you learn to run.

I don't use Joomla so I can't help you much with Joomla specific questions. Plenty of others are using it, just be patient and try to learn some before you make changes.

Thank you again, that was very helpful, never heard of LAMP and WAMP before, not sure which one I should download,
    My laptop use microsoft windows, my hosting is linux,
    Should I download LAMP or WAMP?

so sorry for my ignorant questions.

again, LAMP means it's a combination of Linux (the operation system), Apache (the web server), MySQL (the database) and PHP (the programming language). WAMP would just be Windows instead of Linux.

Apache, MySQL and PHP are all free and Windows versions are available, but to go ahead and install and run all this stuff locally might be a bit much if you're not even that familiar with web technology (IMHO). You should be able to work on your existing web server without interfering with your existing setup by simply creating and using a new subdirectory.

I'd seriously recommend going to amazon.com to find a good PHP/MySQL tutorial for beginners (or even forget the MySQL aspect first and just concentrate on PHP) so you can start getting a grasp on it.

It's not going to be easy. Even once you understand how to work with the two, you'll have to learn to deal with things such as MySQL Injection and other common worries in web development. Look at it this way: if it WERE that easy, then every one would be doing their own interfaces and there'd be no market for already developed applications and services.

If most people were handed all the pieces of a car all lined up on the ground, they most likely wouldn't know how to build a fully functional car simply because they have all the parts to do it.

Then again, you could just get this program and it will do it all for you: Price Comparison Script | Price Tapestry

It uses php and mysql - will build pages for any feed automatically - is easy to use - can be customized so the pages look like you want them to - has great support - also has a support forum - generates a sitemap for G automatically.

I've used it since 2005 for all of my sites and the pages that have been indexed by G will all show up in the first page of the G search results. They have for me anyway.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Understanding The Basics
    Let me just add that you need to learn how to build a database in MySQL. There is a very easy to understand book called, PHP & MySQL, by Head First.

They give you examples to practice and teach you fundamentals first. You may end up needing other books on the subject as well. Normally I need 3 books to come close to learning what I want to learn. Each author has their own way of stating things and some are more clear than others.

An interesting tidbit about MySQL. This relational database system was developed by Ulf Michael Widenius, from Finland. It first came out in 1996. It really made life easy for people like you and I. After working with MySQL for some time, I was surprised to learn that the reason it is named MY SQL is because Ulf Widenius has a daughter named MY.

Good luck with your new learning ventures. It is so worth all the effort you will put into it.
    Last edited by bluewaves1; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:28 AM.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread