Newsfeed with no popup wwindow to source site
    Hello,

I'm in the dev stages for a site and wanted to have constent fresh news available for my homepage (like yahoo). The content is more relevant to an MTV audience, but I was wondering how I would go about having this feed keep the full article of content within my site. Right now, it's sending traffic to mtv and I don't want that.

are there any available scripts?

Have you read MTV's Terms Of Use Agreement? Most notably this section:

3. Ownership Of Intellectual Property

... You shall not, nor will you allow any third party (whether or not for your benefit) to reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, display, perform, publish, distribute, disseminate, broadcast or circulate to any third party (including, without limitation, on or via a third party website), or otherwise use, any Material without the express prior written consent of MTVN or its owner if MTVN is not the owner. Any unauthorized or prohibited use of any Material may subject you to civil liability, criminal prosecution, or both, under applicable federal, state and local laws. We require users to respect our copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights.
    You may want to contact them and explain your intended use of their material and seek permission to use it in the way that you've outlined above. Make sure that you keep any correspondence that grants you use of their material, but keep in mind that they can withdraw their permission at any time.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Good looks rematt!

Thankfully nobody can see it yet. I'll have to talk with my developer on this.

Remember; they're not saying no, they're saying ask.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

although chances are that even if you do get a response, it will be no. they're obviously not looking to have their information syndicated based on the fact that their RSS is incomplete and quite bluntly, very few sites will permit it (at least not actively) without compensation.

but the answer to your question is yes, there are scripts available, it's called scraping and it's essentially blackhat. but bottom line, it will not help you with SEO (if anything, it'll hurt you). because MTV.com definitely has authority with Google, G will know immediately you have duplicate content and will not reward you for it. You'll actually probably be filtered out of the initial SERP for those pages.

Now if you were to read the original content and produce an original article presenting that information and link back to MTV, that would result in a much more positive effect, but it would still have to be unique enough that G wouldn't see it as a duplicate content issue.

also keep in mind regarding scraping that there are web services that actively check clients' articles for copyright infringement/scraping on the net and they could take legal action. you really don't even need an explicit notice on the site to warn you for that as copyright is essentially inherent to any original work.

so if I'm getting my ideas from news sites and creating orginal/seo optimized content, am I supposed to source this information? I come from a History background in college and every paper had to be sourced. Will I have to source this this information?

In regards to images, I can't use a sites, how do most affiliates go about adding images, say for a famous person in headlines?

Well, you wouldn't be alone in not crediting the source if you do base on article off an existing one, but it would definitely be the more ethical thing to do. The only time I don't source an article is when the news is so generic that it's essentially all over the news, so a single source isn't really identifiable (unless a particular source offers something unique in which case I do credit them).

The way I look at it, when I break or 'introduce' news and then see it posted elsewhere without proper credit, it really irks me. Sometimes when the news picks up by additional sources who do credit, they end up crediting the wrong source because of it. So basically, do unto others... it's served me well enough. Plus if you're using a platform like WordPress, it will attempt to ping the source and that can automatically post a link back to your article in the source's comments for example.

Even the Associated Press has recently revised their guidelines to reporters that require them to properly credit blogs if they are the article's source.

As far as images go, if you're looking for editorial, you're in a tough spot. Getty for example does hire a very effective agency to find photos that are posted in an unlicensed fashion.

That said, some internet companies have negotiated deals with Getty which can yield you the ability to use the photos for free. If you have a blog on onsugar.com, you can use Getty photos royalty-free (but the deal is you have to have an onsugar.com domain name). Better yet, although a bit more clumsy, is Picapp which has deals with many photo agencies including Getty which allow you to embed their photos for free on your site (the catch is that the photos are clickable back to picapp.com for full, ad-supported galleries).

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread