Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    WhaleSharkMedia Buys RetailMeNot
    Adding to their previous acquisitions, WhaleSharkMedia has reportedly bought RetailMeNot following a round of financing for $90M.

But RetailMeNot will generate about $30 million in 2010 revenue, we hear, and is growing rapidly. The best part of their model is that almost all of their revenue is profit. They get traffic from search engines, not paid ads, and just five employees are needed to run the site. By any reasonable valuation methodology WhaleShark got quite a deal it seems.

RetailMeNot sold for possibly up to $90 million
    For better or for worse RetailMeNot's shady tactics have resulted in a bigger payday than probably any other couponer will ever see.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/02/whaleshark-media-closes-a-whale-of-a-financing-buys-retailmenot
    Last edited by 2busy; December 2nd, 2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Unlinked URL

15 years and counting
    By any reasonable valuation methodology WhaleShark got quite a deal it seems.
    I'm not so sure. That's up to Google. RetailMeNot can be gone tomorrow. It's a risky investment. You don't keep 1st position in the SERPs for ever.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    My favorite part was this

The company sits firmly in the hot “deal” space dominated by Groupon right now.
    And on the WhaleShark Media site, the first post was:

Look Out Groupon, Here Comes Deals.com
    Apples and oranges.

Funny thing is that most of the large merchants on Retailmenot.com could terminate their affiliate relationships with RMN and not lose a bit of traffic from the site. Since RMN lists sites they're not affiliates of, and most traffic isn't from "featuring" merchants on their site, they are effectively not needed as an affiliate. People will post coupons there, anyway - Their staff of 5 doesn't need to wait around for an affiliate manager's email to do so.

15 years and counting
    What's the strategy of WhaleShark for buying deals2buy, coupon7, couponshare, deals, cheapstingybargains and retailmenot? They are all targeting the same segment, coupons. What's the synergy? They are all profitable, now, I understand that part. What's the reason behind the sale by the former owners of these sites? Greed, they were all offered an insane amount of money. Do they think they can do it again? Or, maybe they were scared of the future.

ABW Ambassador
    Greed? More like common sense. Somebody throws that kind of money at you, you're selling. And consumers do love them, have no shortage of links in, so I don't see them leaving the SERPS.

"Since RMN lists sites they're not affiliates of, and most traffic isn't from "featuring" merchants on their site, they are effectively not needed as an affiliate."

Yeah, I mentioned that a long time as well. That merchants could just drop them and they would still keep them up. Since the model violates a lot of merchants rules from the get go, only use coupons from the affiliate channel, drop them. Let them post whatever coupons they want.

What's with this coupon business? Is it that big of market? I just searched out "coupons" in Google and many of the above are not listed. I believe for any success they will again come to the Affilate pool to try to capture some traffic! Did we miss the boat on this niche market? I believe the man to ask is Amazing Bargains!

ABW Ambassador
    Coupons? Have been big since the dawn of business. Ain't no niche market. It's one of the biggest ones out there.

15 years and counting
    I've the feeling to be back 10 years ago, at the beginning of the dot-com bubble. We're seeing the coupon bubble with all these rumors about Groupon and people buying coupon sites for their ranking in Google.

I checked out coupons in Bing and I can't believe the number of coupon sites. Your right Zeus,when you divide up this pie someone's bubble will burst. The search engines will have a lot to say about who is going to make it, rankings are key unless you are a branded site already.

I have banned them from 99% of my clients and I have vowed to never approve them again. But every day, they reapply.

This is their reply when I complained.

We have over 90,000 partner relationships and our team continually applies to programs as they come into our queue. We will do our best to not apply going forward, however, if it accidentally happens I guess you can decline us.
    If I have removed them from a merchant for violation of terms of service and declined them two additional times, how does the merchant get back in the queue???

Another reason not be on auto approve, I am seeing the same issue with them and a few others just like them.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    If I have removed them from a merchant for violation of terms of service and declined them two additional times, how does the merchant get back in the queue???
    The best thing to do is ask your network that question.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    The best thing to do is ask your network that question.
    I did and I'll be asking the man in charge again next week.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    How ironic that retailmenot.com applied for our program today! So is the general consensus that it is not in my best interest to approve them?
    Jill Caren

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    How ironic that retailmenot.com applied for our program today! So is the general consensus that it is not in my best interest to approve them?
    Not unless you want to upset your other affiliates...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

LMAO! Point well taken! Off to disapprove!
    Jill Caren

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Not unless you want to upset your other affiliates...
    Or let them skim from your natural sales and affiliates. Just declined them AGAIN in another program. Like killing flies.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

LOL! It's because you are so sweet Greg! Hard to keep flies away from the sweet stuff!
    Jill Caren

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread