Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    WordPress released new Version 3.0.2 -11/30/2010
    Version 3.0.2 « WordPress Codex

Changes:

Summary
    ■Fix moderate security issue where a malicious Author-level user could gain further access to the site. (r16625)
    Other bugs and security hardening:

■Remove pingback/trackback blogroll whitelisting feature as it can easily be abused. (#13887)
    ■Fix canonical redirection for permalinks containing %category% with nested categories and paging. (#13471)
    ■Fix occasional irrelevant error messages on plugin activation. (#15062)
    ■Minor XSS fixes in request_filesystem_credentials() and when deleting a plugin. (r16367, r16373)
    ■Clarify the license in the readme (r15534)
    ■Multisite: Fix the delete_user meta capability (r15562)
    ■Multisite: Force current_user_can_for_blog() to run map_meta_cap() even for super admins (#15122)
    ■Multisite: Fix ms-files.php content type headers when requesting a URL with a query string (#14450)
    ■Multisite: Fix the usage of the SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL constant for upgraded WordPress MU installs (#14536)

Still on 2.9.1 for my main site. With so many hacks, I'm afraid what might happen if I upgrade.

upgraded about 10 blogs last night all went smooth.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

no issue upgrading
    I updated one of my picture blogs and everything went fine. Probably do the rest this weekend if time permits.

What template are you using for your photo blog?
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    What template are you using for your photo blog?
    I am using the Expose Child theme from StudioPress. lovin it so far

Quote Originally Posted by elephantidae View Post
    I am using the Expose Child theme from StudioPress. lovin it so far
    Nice looking theme for sure. I wonder (Vinny?) if Thesis has anything like that.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill there is a Thesis wordpress skin that I saw a few weeks ago that almost had the look and feel that I liked. I am sure there are some out there. I just gave up looking.

Thanks, Vinny. Yeah there must be a few good ones around - I only wish I had time to look and explore for the right one.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Still on 2.9.1 for my main site. With so many hacks, I'm afraid what might happen if I upgrade.
    my primary site is 2.9.2, i've been afraid to go to 3 myself since I didn't really think it gave me anything new and it seemed I had several plug-ins that may not survive the update.

but as I'm setting up new sites, I'm using 3.x and even though the out of the box functionality doesn't phase me, the theme I use and especially the Wordpress SEO plug-in (which is absolutely stellar but requires 3.x+) is really tempting me to invest in the transition.
    Last edited by bradk; December 3rd, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    since I didn't really think it gave me anything new and it seemed I had several plug-ins that may not survive the update.
    Agreed on both fronts. Wp-tuner didn't work out of the box without a hack.

Until something earth shattering comes out, I don't see upgrading blogs just going to the new version on new installs. Too much hacking of files for me to worry about.

http and a telephoto
    Ok, I can't believe what I am reading. Those pre-WP 3.0 blogs are *very* big security risks. Every new version of WP has security fixes that aren't in previous versions.

You are leaving yourself open to big hack attacks and that big red box on your site if Google finds the hack before you do.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

With proper measures taken, Wordpress 2.9.X blogs can be safe.

ABW Ambassador
    I updated all my blogs yesterday, all went fine.

there might be something, but with 2.9.2, i thought the biggest threat was using admin for the administrator's account. fortunately, since i installed it with fantastico which prompted me for the admin account name, it was never admin (or whatever the default is).

but as i mentioned above, Wordpress SEO is going to make me go current because it requires 3.x. I know the argument that you don't need an SEO plug-in if you just put some work into the template, et al, but I liked the added worry free utility. I think I'm using Headspace under 2.9.x but never really got into actually making it work for me. After seeing Wordpress SEO in action, I absolutely can't wait to use it.

I use platinum SEO. The way I set up my site, I had to hack that plugin to put the titles and meta tags the way I wanted. So essentially, I used the plugin but hacked most of the output so it would fit my needs.

basically the exact same problem i found with all of the SEO products except this one. no screenshots it seems, but the default meta tags setup is highly flexible.

WordPress › WordPress SEO by Yoast « WordPress Plugins

i just found this article the plug-in author wrote which covers using his plug-in as well as a lot of other tips WordPress SEO - Yoast - Tweaking Websites , but it'll basically give an idea of some of what the plug-in can do.

(sorry for the tangent)

ETA: Oops, I guess the article is older than the plug-in, it doesn't cover Wordpress SEO at all.
    Last edited by bradk; December 3rd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Looks sick. My problem with all seo plugins was that they used tag and category descriptions for the meta tag description while I wanted something custom. They only gave you on option to fill it which had to fit both tags and category pages, which didn't work for me. This plugin seems to fix that. Maybe it will be time to update just to get this as it looks like it has some other features, like sitemap generator. Another plugin I had to hack to get it to work for me.

well, I just bit the bullet on the count of Wordpress SEO. so far, so good. I figured if anything breaks now, I'll just either have to replace it or it's not worth keeping. Found out a slew of my plug-ins had a whole new 3.x+ only fork too.

Sadly I lost the ability to customize the More tag that Headspace gave me, so going to have to try to find a replacement just for that.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I updated my blog on via the interface, went without any issues.

If you are updating the older verions, back up the db, etc and make sure that all plugins are off before doing a 2.x to 3.0.2

I did it with plug-ins on and it took fine. In fact, I actually just consolidated all my WP sites by converting my main site to a multi-site installation. given that I had no clue what I was doing, it went pretty smoothly. I just have one residual, minor issue.

to convert to multi-site though, all the plug-ins did have to be disabled.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread