Ok,

This may be off the wall, but I'd really be interested in hearing some feedback.

Has anyone heard, seen or thought of a franchise arrangement for a
    profitable domain concept?

The idea is this, I have a small resource site that receives about
    40,000 page views per month with return visitors increasing by about 15% per month.

Revenue is decent enough that 50% of it would still be a nice check each month, for a self run site with no upkeep or maintenance.

I offer the content to be reproduced and branded to the lessee
    for 50% of the income generated.

The lessee obtains a suitable domain name, promotes, and hosts the site with my content and their branding.

There may be many others, but the main drawback I see is people simply coping the content and reproducing it with me out of the loop.

Yes, I could mirror the site myself, but there are only so many hours in the day. I might be able to throw together 5 or ten such sites over time, but with this idea it could be 50 or a 100 in the same amount of time. So 50% of the profit from 100 sites is much better than 100% from 10 sites.

The idea is not really fully formed in my mind, only thought of it 10 minutes ago, but feedback from the forum would be appreciated.

jim

Not sure, are you talking about a bunch of sites with duplicate content?

Internet Cowboy
    Search engines don't like a lot of sites with duplicate content and will either exclude them or bury them in the bottom 10%.

Not really duplicate content. Simply reproducing the concept of what makes the site sticky and why it is producing income.

I really don't think reproducing the content exactly would really be a problem though. Isn't it done all the time with shopping center sites
    that carry the same exact content except for the domain name and individual branding?

jim

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The internet is already poluted by cookie cutter sites. Take coupon sites. Except for 4 or 5 everyone of the other 10,000 are just clones of the others praying they can hijack point of sale traffic by SE spamming tricks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

if each participant does his/her own domain buying, SEO, etc., the mileage will vary greatly for each one.

the folk who fail at this project would probably blame you for it.

.......when I first joined amazon.com about a year and a half ago, there was someone (I believe an associate) promoting a script for other associates to use on their sites in return for a percentage of the sales. Your offering the use of your content is similar. I can't remember how successful this was. You might want to check the amazon.com (archived) posts.

Anyone giving away scripts for 2-tier programs is following this model. You sign up under their ID and they get a cut of whatever, you get to build a datafeed site. Works for them, apparently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lululour:
    .......when I first joined amazon.com about a year and a half ago, there was someone (I believe an associate) promoting a script for other associates to use on their sites in return for a percentage of the sales. Your offering the use of your content is similar. I can't remember how successful this was. You might want to check the amazon.com (archived) posts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Simply reproducing the concept of what makes the site sticky and why it is producing income. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many would have the sense to emulate Bizrate or Catalog City rather than pay for the "privelege" of emulating something that is touted as producing slightly over 1,000 visitors a day.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Now that that idea is put to bed I can get on to more important things.

jim

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread