Getting datafeeds
    Does anyone know the process of getting datafeeds from merchants through cj.com

ive not needed to go this route before but I do now and I cant locate them inside the account

I haven't done it for awhile, but I think you can get them inside the "Account" tab, under "Services."
    Generate more fake news.

That's the right process, but too often nothing happens when you click "Save".

Well maybe this thread will help future affiliates searching for information on this.

Ok so i have gone into there and it says " You currently have no services enabled for your account. " Create product export

So i have clicked create product export

Now it has a few fields to fill out as well as some selections. I just want to make sure im doing this right

1. Name of subscription? what should that be? is it just a way of identifying the feed?
    2. Export format ( gathering most people pick tab or pipe? )
    3. Transport method ( which one is best? )
    4. Date Format ( does it matter? )
    5. Website ( gathering this is just so it can associate the right PID and for report tracking
    6. Opt out of successful delivery notice ( should this be checked? ) what is that anyway?
    7. Gathering this is where you just select a merchant for product catalog?

Thanks folks, and hopefully this will be a good thread for others who have the same question

ok just an update I just guessed a lot of it and it worked

I put in subscription the name of the merchant
    I selected pipe format
    i select cj ftp
    left date same
    selected my site
    selected merchant

Saved, got a ftp for cj, i accessed it and downloaded the file.. opened and there is the datafeed. Now that is was easy enough

the name is really for your own benefit, even though i'm pretty sure you can only have one feed per merchant even if you have multiple PIDs.

but looks like you got it. I actually have a pretty neat proprietary system where the databases are emailed to a specific address on my domain which then pipes the email to a script which detaches, decodes, processes the data file and then uses postie to generate a post for me.

I even wrote a script that creates the email forward (through cPanel) and the local product database all at once.

but to answer your other questions, it's all a matter of preference. it may matter if you're directly importing the datafeed into another system which expects it in a particular format, but if you're using a script to handle it, you can manipulate the data any way you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    the name is really for your own benefit, even though i'm pretty sure you can only have one feed per merchant even if you have multiple PIDs.

but looks like you got it. I actually have a pretty neat proprietary system where the databases are emailed to a specific address on my domain which then pipes the email to a script which detaches, decodes, processes the data file and then uses postie to generate a post for me.

I even wrote a script that creates the email forward (through cPanel) and the local product database all at once.

but to answer your other questions, it's all a matter of preference. it may matter if you're directly importing the datafeed into another system which expects it in a particular format, but if you're using a script to handle it, you can manipulate the data any way you wish.
    Are you saying you have the process completly automated for getting any updates to the datafeed send to your site?

Do most of you folks download the datafeeds from cj in PIPE or TAB format?

Also what format is this? |
    Last edited by easylife; December 6th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

That format is Pipe delimited. The choice only depends on which format you (or your scripts) prefer to work with.

yes, for what I do with it, it's (almost) completely automated. in the case of my main site, it posts them as drafts so I can review them manually. Also there appears to be an issue with the auto tweet plug-in I use where it won't tweet the post if you have postie directly post it.

but for another site which uses the same technology (and doesn't tweet), it's 100% automatic.

as for your other question, I use quoted CSV. I was just able to find very easy PHP code on the web that I was able to adapt for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    That format is Pipe delimited. The choice only depends on which format you (or your scripts) prefer to work with.
    By the way thanks for the help here i really appreciate it

Ok so my script requires it be in | format when i bring it in

So I would select PIPE when downloading from CJ ?

When i open it in excel I go to open it and the first screen gives these options

Delimited
    Or Fixed Width

I selected " delimited "

Then the next screen asks what types of delemiter

Tab
    Semicolon
    Comma
    Space
    Other

So do i leave it Tab?

Last screen it asks what column data format do i want

General
    Text
    date
    Do not import column

I leave it on general ?
    Last edited by easylife; December 6th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

I'm assuming you're just opening it in Excel just to look at it since it sounds like your script should accept it the way it is.

For Excel, you'll want to select Other and then you can put | inside the text box next to it.

It may mess up your viewing if any of the entries actually have a | in it. I'm not sure how the pipe format handles pipes inside content.

You can leave it on general. You only need to specify the column formats if you want to ensure they're seen in a specific format and are going to manipulate them as if they were. But for viewing, general is fine.

I have got it working now. Just kept picking different options and trying with script.. 4th time lucky

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread