Google Instant Preview
    I just started noticing the Google Instant Preview. I see search references to it as early as November 7th so it's been rolling out a while. I'm wondering what effect that is going to have on AdWords since the preview covers most of the ads in search down the right side of the page. Anybody know your if an ad counts as an impression even if it's hidden by the preview. Personally I find the preview useless.

If you are like me and slow to notice then here is a link to Google's description of it.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It is a take on BING's More on this page

Search for "bing.com more on this page"

It does cover some Adwords but i think it is a neat feature for Google as they try to establish a longer time-on-site.

an impression is an impression is an impression. Google may prevent publishers from placing elements over AdSense but I don't think they mind putting their own over them when it's all revenue.

i've seen others express concern that it can curtail traffic as well if someone uses it on your site and sees a layout they may not agree with.

i personally don't see the point to it beyond 'look at what we can do now.' the only time i've seen previews is when my mouse moved over the magnifying glass inadvertently.

it's a glorified thumbnail. it doesn't show you anything but the overall layout of a page, so it encourages you to click on prettier things as opposed to pay attention to content relevancy.

I don't get it. Why would instant preview have any effect on adsense ? It's just a screen shot of that page. which was taken once and shown over and over again.

i don't think there will be any good effect on adwords. its totally harmful for adword. mainly newbies who are starting their carrier with adwords will be affected most. their site is not so much attractive and also don't cover so many information so why any one will enter after seeing the previewing?

I missed this thread earlier and just noticed the previews in the search results a couple days ago. As a user, I like it. I get a better idea of what sites look like without having to click each one, plus it highlights some relevant content in context.

I hadn't really considered the impact on AdWords, but I don't think it'll be major.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I missed this thread earlier and just noticed the previews in the search results a couple days ago. As a user, I like it. I get a better idea of what sites look like without having to click each one, plus it highlights some relevant content in context.

I hadn't really considered the impact on AdWords, but I don't think it'll be major.
    My concern is that ads down the right side will register an impression and at times be covered over by the preview display. The good side is that Google wants those ads clicked too.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their Google AdWords traffic since Google's maintenance window yesterday (Saturday) morning?

I'm seeing a big drop in impressions and clicks for my keywords, but my PPC volume is low enough that it could just be a random statistical "blip"; or it might just be a reporting delay due to the maintenance event.

I wonder if this might be related to the rollout of Google Instant Preview -- I also just noticed this feature a few days ago, and "I think I like it" (especially its inclusion of content from "below the fold" and the text excerpts), but I'm still not sure how useful it will actually be. I think it will benefit non-HTML content (such as PDF documents). I suspect that pages crowded with ads, and "sales letter" pages, will draw lower clickthrough rates. (It will be interesting to see how the spammers & crooks change their sites to try to benefit from Instant Preview.)

I assume that Google hasn't added the Preview icon next to the AdWords ads because it believes this would reduce clickthrough rates and thus revenue. I would expect to see Google experimenting with the positioning of both the Instant Preview graphic AND AdWords ads, to optimize the user experience AND revenue.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 16th, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

I've just looked at how Google Instant Preview presents my web pages, for keywords that bring up my pages in the organic results.

I'm worried that many Google users won't be able to recognize the value in my "mostly text" pages when they're viewing the Instant Preview. Many of my directory pages are intentionally "dense with text" because that's the most useful way for visitors to find what they're looking for (when they're viewing the page), but the result definitely isn't pretty (nor legible) in Google's Instant Preview window.

I'm definitely concerned about the specific text-excerpts that Google displays in larger type inside the Instant Preview, and I'm also uncomfortable with how these text-excerpts obscure part of the Instant Preview.

I'm already considering appropriate changes to the algorithms that I use when selecting the sequence in which directory content is displayed, so that Google's Instant Preview will be more likely to show a "better" snippet of text from my directory pages, for specific search phrases. I already see some likely conflicts between "optimizing for how visitors see my page in Google Instant Preview" and "optimizing for the visitor viewing my directory page."

I'm also considering whether adding certain types of graphics, and displaying current graphics and text in larger sizes than they current appear, might improve users' perceptions when viewing the Google Instant Preview for my site (at the cost of some user convenience when viewing my site).
    Last edited by markwelch; January 16th, 2011 at 02:38 PM.

Mark, I looked at the last 7 days of stats in AdWords. Saturday and Sunday are only about 10% below the average for the last 7 days which I would expect for my keywords.

This is now very difficult to get page hit from google SE since the visitor gets a quick view on the page content as a snap shot on every search. It will drop down the traffic from SE for many sites.
    Last edited by skyguide; January 22nd, 2011 at 03:08 AM.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread