Domain extentions? Watch Out!
    I always thought that when you registered a domain name you where protected. Now I find myname.com.au is being used. When did this happen? I guess there is no protection! They have added the au to my name?

Outsourced Program Manager Ross Yamashita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    I always thought that when you registered a domain name you where protected. Now I find myname.com.au is being used. When did this happen? I guess there is no protection! They have added the au to my name?
    .au is for Australia so someone in Australia probably registered your domain name and is using it targeting people in Australia.

It shouldn't matter where they are ! This should not be allowed at all!

You can prevent that by registering all the other extensions at the same time as the .com

Why should somebody "not be allowed" to register another extension that you were not willing to register for yourself?
    Last edited by davidh; December 6th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I agree to myname .au and not myname.com.au. Where does it end? Myname.com.au.moon? I own myname.com and adding au is total crap!

Have you registered the dot-co (.co) of "your" domain? If it is valuable and unique someone else can grab that - which is a lot closer than the Australian version.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    If it's a generic, it's open to anybody. If it's TM, then you would have something.

Exclamation
    and I think I heard somewhere that to register an .au extension you have to live there. (not sure about that)

Seriously? 850+ posts and you're not aware of international domain extensions? If you don't own "yourname".extension, anyone can get it.

If you have a trademark on "yourname", you may have a case for it, but otherwise, you're SOL.

keyword there: may

not only does a trademark not guarantee you protection against squatters (they can lose the domain to you if you can prove it was used intentionally in bad faith), but now you're talking about an international capacity and just trademarking in one country doesn't protect you in others, you need to go through proper channels and pay additional fees per jurisdiction.

as for having to live in the country of registration, it is often a requirement, but there's also ways around that. but i digress. I actually own an .SK domain. and a burning hatred for eurodns.
    Last edited by bradk; December 6th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    I agree to myname .au and not myname.com.au. Where does it end? Myname.com.au.moon? I own myname.com and adding au is total crap!
    a .com.au has nothing to do with a .com, they are completely different. They haven't added a .au to the .com, it is a .com.au

What makes you think that anything that is registered in your country would be automatically protected in a different country? You have no claims to a name that is being used in Australia, unless you have registered that name in Australia.

I guess it's my mistake. I was always under the impression that domain's were done internationally and when I took the name it was thru network solutions. This was back in 95 and I could have done the .biz . net etc but passed. I guess you learn something every day. I have great rankings in the SO'S and get nervous about losing them.
    Thanks for the update!

Technically, they are two different domain names, so if you don't want your domain names got used buy other people, you need to buy myname.net,myname.info,myname.org,myname.es,myname.fr,myname.cn....

Quote Originally Posted by StoneWilson View Post
    Technically, they are two different domain names, so if you don't want your domain names got used buy other people, you need to buy myname.net,myname.info,myname.org,myname.es,myname.fr,myname.cn....
    ...and there are 3 types of people in this world...those that can count and those that can't.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    ...and there are 3 types of people in this world...those that can count and those that can't.
    LOL, one of my favorites! Another is:

There are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    LOL, one of my favorites! Another is:

There are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand binary and those who don't.

Love that quote! Have it on my facebook profile.

Affiliate Manager
    Sorry to hear that but was so predictable... FAIL!

Try again!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread