DecorMyEyes - cyber-bully merchant SENTENCED
    I can't find the original thread here.. but the cyber bully who used negative reviews to improve his google rankings has been arrested..

News Headlines

Be careful what you wish for

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, those are federal charges, not fun at all. Be careful what tactics you use to get attention!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think everyone involved in any form of internet marketing and white hat seo owes him a debt of gratitude for bringing publicity to such an obvious flaw in G's algorithms, which has influenced G to make changes: Google Acts to Demote Distasteful Web Sellers "Google said that it had revised its algorithm so that it could detect Mr. Borker and 'hundreds of other merchants that, in our opinion, provide extremely poor user experience.'"
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

haha looks like they are going to make an example out of him

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    I think everyone involved in any form of internet marketing and white hat seo owes him a debt of gratitude for bringing publicity to such an obvious flaw in G's algorithms, which has influenced G to make changes: Google Acts to Demote Distasteful Web Sellers "Google said that it had revised its algorithm so that it could detect Mr. Borker and 'hundreds of other merchants that, in our opinion, provide extremely poor user experience.'"
    Like they didn't know already.... what got their attention was the NY Times and some other heavy hitting media all of a sudden showing the world that their algorithm had a big issue.

"extremely poor user experience" - indeed that is one way of putting it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Original Thread: Bad Reviews? Bring em on! - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    in case anyone missed it.

so just to play devil's advocate. is there any real proof that the complaints helped with ranking? I'm reading in the NYT article that there are countless number of complaints on getsatisfaction.com and ripoffreport.com and there are, but I see no links on the latter and the former links are all marked as no follow.

i have little doubt that any rankings he received were pure blackhat, probably through something like xrumer or something to that effect.

that said, negative press is always good press. can't tell you why, but i know second hand that someone who was sued on people's court once lost big time on the show but ended up getting a boon in business from the free advertising.

i'm not sure what kind of example he is for blackhat/whitehat folk though. the man is obviously deranged and what he was arrested for wouldn't fly for a brick and mortar shop either who are the ones who invented the game of bait and switch.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    so just to play devil's advocate. is there any real proof that the complaints helped with ranking? I'm reading in the NYT article that there are countless number of complaints on getsatisfaction.com and ripoffreport.com and there are, but I see no links on the latter and the former links are all marked as no follow.
    Any of these sites get syndicated, scraped, RSSed, etc? Could be the links get spread around a bit further, reposted on sites that convert domains automatically to links, etc.

In any case, Federal charges aren't much fun, and I doubt he's so smug about it now.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

unfortunately and not unsurprisingly, link:decormyeyes.com turns up nothing on Google now so no telling how the links were created. but with a guy like that, credibility goes out the window and bottom line is in order to even get that many customers to insult for him to make a difference, there was probably something blackhat in play prior to it all.

If you read all the articles the NYTimes put out, it was his 'other' methods that lead to his rankings... not just the reviews. I'm guessing the only change to the G algorithm was to de-index his site.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    If you read all the articles the NYTimes put out, it was his 'other' methods that lead to his rankings... not just the reviews. I'm guessing the only change to the G algorithm was to de-index his site.
    yeah I just read that, Psycho.. he would call people at 3am and threaten them, call their bank and pretend to be the customer then cancel charge backs.
    Last edited by zire; December 7th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.

this is a two part problem, yes he was a nut case. The personal threats and faking the customer calls to the bank will put him away....

but if his site was number one because of the negative reviews that would fit with what I'm seeing in my market segment.

from what I'm seeing in a competitor involved with the "easy saver scam" and being a GAN merchant with tons of Adwords ads (same keywords multiple sub companies) has pretty much secured their first page placement on the search engines.

He deserves that, what he did has broken the law, even he did it on internet.

They just sentenced him Vitaly Borker, Owner Of DecorMyEyes.com, Gets 4 Years In Prison For Fraud, Threatening Customers 4 yeas & $96,000 in fines and restitution..

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread