Promoting GameStop? Keep your eyes open!
    I am a promoter of hot items, so I consistently watch exclusion lists for products that do not receive commissions. I am also a decent reviewer of my sales of individual items.

Today, GameStop hit a new low as far as dirty tactics. Kinect, which I am promoting right now, is really hot and MSRP is $150. This stand alone Kinect unit is NOT commissioned by GameStop... so I do not promote GameStop for this item. This is no big deal though as GameStop only sells Kinect bundles. These bundles are NOT excluded, so you will get commissioned on the extra $100 worth of games they bundle in at the 5% level, but not the Kinect unit itself. So your stats would look similar to this:
    Kinect - $149.98 - 0.00 <--- $150 is standard MSRP for the Kinect
    Game 1 - $49.99 - 2.50
    Game 2 - $50.00 - 2.50

As a result, I will promote these Kinect bundles and take my $5 for every $250 bundle sold via my site. If users want to pay for these $250 bundles then why not buy them through me.

This changed today when I reviewed my stats in LinkShare. I saw one of the Kinect bundles was commissioned as follows:
    Kinect - $187.48 - 0.00
    Game 1 - $31.24 - 1.56
    Game 2 - $31.25 - 1.56

Wow, the Kinect price just went up by $37 and the game costs just went down by $18 each! Oh and my commissions just went from 5% to 3%!

This is just one tactic which advertisers can use to cheat you... and another reason to be a hawk on your stats. I have sent an email to GameStop addressing the issue and will let you know their response if I get one. Maybe it was just an error on their part?

There's no shortage of sleazy merchants. Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid them as an affiliate and consumer.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, it gets worse, because Gamestop is including non-commisionable items in their merchandiser datafeed. I have found two (Nintendo DSi XL Burgundy, Sony PSP 300 Core Pack) over the last ten minutes, but I assume there are many, many more. It looks like I sold 3 x $299 consoles over the last couple of days that were not commissioned, but included in their feeds.

I honestly don't know how the people responsible for these types of cheats can deal with themselves. Didn't their parents teach them ethics as children?
    Last edited by isellstuff; December 7th, 2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: was being mean
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I honestly don't know how the people responsible for these types of cheats can deal with themselves. Didn't their parents teach them ethics as children?
    Apparently not.

Thanks for the head's up on this. I'm pulling their links as soon as I sign off.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I just looked. They have 1147 products that are zero commission. Sheesh.........
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Just wanted to let all of you know, as suspected there has been no response from GameStop regarding the issue.

Hopefully Santa will stick some coal in their stockings.
    leeann

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread