Microsoft to add tracking protection to its web browser
    Great. Via the WSJ

Microsoft Corp. said it will include a privacy feature in its Internet Explorer that would let users list websites that can't track them. It is similar to a key feature it dropped in an earlier version of the Web browser after a heated debate with advertisers.

The Redmond, Wash., company said a new version of the browser, Internet Explorer 9, will allow users to subscribe to "tracking protection lists," which are lists of Web addresses that users don't want to share information with. The lists would prevent online- tracking companies from snooping on consumers' browsing habits.

Read more: Microsoft to Add 'Tracking Protection' to Web Browser - WSJ.com
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

That's great... Did you see the poll results in the WSJ article? 91.8% said they would use the feature. Now all we need is the anti-virus companies to set it up for them auto-magically by an annoying prompt they they quickly dismiss.

I assume all the affiliate tracking cookies will end up on the privacy lists, even though they are anonymous.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Think this news comes a little too late to save internet explorer. I just finished watching the Google Chrome OS webinar and I think once this comes out there will be a lot less machines running windows and even fewer running internet explorer.

Time will tell, lets revisit this post in about a year.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Hopefully it will include a metatag like their image toolbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    I just finished watching the Google Chrome OS webinar and I think once this comes out there will be a lot less machines running windows and even fewer running internet explorer.
    I can't wait. I haven't seen the webinar yet, but I love Chrome. Where's the OS webinar at?

Some technical details on the implementation are available here:

IE9 and Privacy: Introducing Tracking Protection - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

My interpretation is that your privacy list could prevent image loads (banner and tracking pixels) when you view a webpage. So, among other issues, it would prevent banners from displaying and real-time affiliate pixel tracking from working.

It is interesting that the FTC would push for this, as the end result could be disastrous for the Internet.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Watch both Chrome webstore and chrome os

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    On one hand its time we got off the cookie standard for network tracking. On the otherhand I hope they can get around the requirement to buy with cookies enabled in most shopping carts.

I have always wondered why we don't do first party cookies that track IP and MAC address of the network device. I am sure that Microsoft has figured this all out and all bugs will be fixed before it goes public just like all previous versions of Windows.

Personally I am waiting for the new Facebook OS on my toaster!

Watch both Chrome webstore and chrome os
    Somehow their less than stellar customer service model does not mix well with consumer products. I don't think anyone needs to await a takeover.

I think in the long run, it really won't matter which browser people use, the major browsers already have privacy & do not track options, will probably add more, along with a do not track button, etc.
    Add 'do not track' to Firefox, IE, and Google Chrome | Workers' Edge - CNET News

In the end, it just matters how many people use this. which depends on how simple it is to activate, how much it diminishes peoples web browsing experience, how much it is promoted. (by the govt., anti virus companies, etc.)

BTW anybody ever heard of this or use it?
    GoogleSharing :: A Special Kind Of Proxy
    Last edited by simcat; December 8th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

Havn't used IE for long long time, but after Google Chrome updated several times, i got a little confused about its functions, so maybe i'll try IE9 after it launched.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread