There's a domain I'd like to get that expires in January 05. The website says that the company has stopped trading and there's just an email link for enquiries.

So I'm guessing that they won't be renewing it when it comes up. Is there any way I can "book" it for when it expires?

There are a number of services that will attempt to grab a domain as soon as it expires (godaddy, for one). If it's truly a good name, then you may have some competition.

If it were me, and I really wanted it, I would be offering the current owner a few bucks for it now.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I am not expert but can suggest something, find the registrar of the domain name by asking the owner of the domain or if you dont have any contact with them try searching through WHOIS and go to registrar's site and look for option "Back order" (usually all the registrars have this option) and you can place an order for the expiring domain.

Or if you can contact the existing owner you can simply ask them to transfer it to you in that case you dont have to wait till Jan 05.

These are the options I am aware of but I am sure more memebers may reply with some better ideas.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I try to grab some domain names before. I use godaddy and expirefish. But these guys renew their domain name a few days before the ON HOLD period.

ABW Ambassador
    Your best bet is to make an offer to the current owner before it expires.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by othello:
    If it's truly a good name, then you may have some competition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

If it's a so-so name you may have some competition.

If it's truly a good name you WILL have SERIOUS competition. Competition that doesn't blink to pay 5 digits for a truly good name.

If you are buying it for the page rank, don't wait for it to expire.. get in contact with the owner/contact now .. page rank has a nasty habit of resetting to zero when you snap a nice domain.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I've emailed the site asking if they want to sell it and what they want for it - it was a toss up between that and make an offer upfront.

It's a .co.uk domain so I'm hoping it won't be too expensive. I'm not concerned about PR as I want it as a redirect towards a domain I already have.

I have mydomain.com and this is domain.co.uk if you take my meaning.

Thanks again,

Paul

edit: having said that it has a PR4 which is nice if not overwhelming.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread