Commission Change without notice
    I just noticed that the commission rate for one of my merchants has changed, without any notice. (oops, I was mistaken, so I edited this post to remove the erroneous details)
    Last edited by markwelch; December 8th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    I've noticed that GAN is like that, too. Commissions change among my GAN merchants frequently, and not once have I been notified about it. That's one thing I do like about CJ - you're always given at least a bit of notice that things are about to change.

Oops -- I was mistaken (this happens so often, lately). There was no commission change.

The December 7 transaction was for a different merchant. Somehow when I imported the data into my spreadsheet, I transposed the data.

The merchant responded within minutes, asking for the order information, and when I went to check the SAS report I realized I was mistaken.

As Jim notes, It's important to recognize that ShareASale does send "Commission Change Notifications," which I never receive from other networks.
    Last edited by markwelch; December 8th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Some of the other networks do provide a little information, but not as helpful as what SAS provides:

CJ does send out emails and requires a 7 day notice.

LinkShare sends notices when a private offer expires.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I still can not understand why people here are so pro SAS, maybe it beause that SAS use to be so active at ABW but to be honest it looks like they have also given up on ABW and for the most part only drop in from time to time.

CJ is way ahead of SAS with respects to commision changes and alot more. Maybe it is this Pro SAS Aditude here at ABW that keeps alot of the other big network away from ABW.

Just my option, I am sure other will disagree with my comments...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Outsourced Program Manager
    CJ also charges a lot more for the merchant in the way of set up fees.

The way i see it, The merchants on sas are more hands on and develop a closer relationship with their Am's
    which i think you dont see as much with CJ

and also the Am's that work with SAS tend to be more active with recruiting and promotions

Just my $.05 worth
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Richard I am an affiliate so I thinking from the point of view from the affiliate.

I think that the problem here at ABW that most post are now from Merchants, Affiliate Managers point of view not the affiliate.
    Last edited by kse; December 9th, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    kse,

If there is something you think is not being done now that should be with regards to commission changes, let me know. We want to make the notifications sufficient and accurate but also not force Merchants into a difficult place when they need to make these changes. I'd be happy to add in or at least look at what we are doing more critically, but would need to know where you thought we were coming up short.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    kse,

If there is something you think is not being done now that should be with regards to commission changes, let me know. We want to make the notifications sufficient and accurate but also not force Merchants into a difficult place when they need to make these changes. I'd be happy to add in or at least look at what we are doing more critically, but would need to know where you thought we were coming up short.

Hi Brian, thanks for dropping by I guessing some one asked you to have a look at this thread.

First of all I am not anti SAS, I am an SAS affiliate and make some good income from SAS. However I do have a problem with some of the people here staying that SAS is the best network and everything SAS does is perfect. Well no network is perfect and their is always room for improvment. That why I post hoping to improve things for affiliates.

As far as commision changes goes (a small problem)

1) Affiliate should get a 7 day notice before a merchant can lower our commision rate, return days etc...

2) the email sent from SAs should have the old terms and the new terms.

However Brian the biggest fault I see with SAS is detailed here:

SAS should close Offline Merchants Accounts after 14 day... - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Which you posted to the thread and said you would read the whole thread and address the points made. You never did.

The biggest problem with SAS is Offline merchants. redirecting my visitors to a dead link page or to my homepage is not the best solution. I would like if you have time to read the above thread and see if some of the suggestion are possible.

Thank you

Kevin...

The biggest problem with SAS is Offline merchants
    I think the biggest problem with Shareasale is ONLINE merchants who do not have tracking mechanisms in place on their sites. A merchant can remove the tracking pixel from their site and it can remain undetected for years, staying "online" by virtue of the fact that they still had a few dollars in escrow with SAS.
    Last edited by davidh; December 9th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

This is a problem as well, that is why I have to go though each merchant and check their sales for the past x number of months.

I think LS is even worse, as far as I can tell their is no way for me to tell if a merchant is converting for other affiliates, it only shows me my conversion rates.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I think the biggest problem with Shareasale is ONLINE merchants who do not have tracking mechanisms in place on their sites. A merchant can remove the tracking pixel from their site and it can remain undetected for years, staying "online" by virtue of the fact that they still had a few dollars in escrow with SAS.

kse,

I actually check in here everyday multiple times... and try to answer things as much as possible. It is a busy season for everyone so sorry if I have not kept up on posts as much as I would like.

Regarding the commission changes, the 7-day notice is an interesting back-and-forth because most of the commission changes involve things that involve TOS violations or at least misunderstandings... I'll have to look into this more to see if adding a delay would benefit everyone here. We do have a delay built in to the Merchant Agreement changes and I would say that has been 50/50 successful, with the other half being problematic.

The old terms and new terms are sent on the email I believe... I could be misunderstanding which email you are talking about... but when a commission change is made it shows the old rate as well... on terms notifications the new terms are sent along with a summary (provided the merchant gives one). A lot of these tools rely on a merchant using them completely and accurately - when they skirt around the things we have in place it does make it tough for us to then provide to you.

I'll take a look at the thread you posted.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Davidh,

Those cases are getting smaller and smaller - we've been working on it both manually and thru automation and getting rid of those that we feel are problematic. I recognize the problem still exists but it is something that is actively being worked on.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread