Burn time searching across affiliate networks?
    Hi all,

I'm very curious to hear how affiliates (especially content creators) search for products that they'd like to mention.

Do many people here feel as though the process of searching for products online and, subsequently, building affiliate links is overly time consuming?

Do any of you spend time searching across your various networks to figure out which network carries a specific product that you are interested in? Is that not really an issue in most cases?

What's your methodology for finding new products and is there a tool that simplifies everything from discovery to affiliation?

Thoughts about any or all of the above questions would be really appreciated. We're hypothesizing that product search across and within affiliate networks is a problem and we're trying figure out a solution.

Thanks,
    Ben

If there is a specific product we want to promote, the networks generally help us find it, and the merchant to sign up with. PopShops also offers this service, across all the major networks and some indie programs.

http and a telephoto
    Ben, it seems you are asking questions leading to promoting your product. Would strongly advise you look into advertising here at ABW instead

BTW, your product is very similar to PopShops from what I have seen.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I third popshops which I learned about from here. I have a free account there and can search for affiliates who carry products in my niche that way.

and with existing affiliations, I use datafeeds when available with a custom script of mine that isolates new items and brings them to my attention.

Hi Loxly,

Sorry to hear you say that. I made a conscious decision not to mention our product in this thread or provide a url of any sort.

This thread was purely an attempt to learn more about how content is created and any pain points in that process.

We're not ready to advertise but we would like to listen, learn, and discuss our thoughts with affiliates and advertisers.

Best,
    Ben

*Also not quite fair to compare us to Popshops when there are meaningful differences and we're still in Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Ben, it seems you are asking questions leading to promoting your product. Would strongly advise you look into advertising here at ABW instead

http and a telephoto
    Using it in your user name kinda gave it away Ben.

actually, i just checked it out (didn't recognize the name) and I have a hard time comparing it to popshops, at least what I use it for. (a) I like the way popshops breaks down the merchants so I can see who's ideal to sign up with (I'm not going to affiliate with random merchants for just one product); (b) too few merchants represented (at the moment); (c) too few results per page; (d) buggy. i can type too fast for it to pick up what I'm typing, so I have to constantly go back and add/delete a character slowly so it will update properly.

but that's spending just 5 minutes with it.

Fair enough, Deborah

I'll change my account name going forward to clear up the confusion.

But, for now, I'd still welcome any responses to the original questions. How do people search for products and affiliate across multiple affiliate networks?

If you have time and interest in a private chat, Deborah, I'd also like to pick your brain

Using it in your user name kinda gave it away Ben.

Brad,

Thanks for the feedback. All the things that you mention are spot on and, as I said, this was our initial, minimal viable product release. We wanted to get this out there quickly to figure out how people would use it and whether there was a need for it.

But, in all sincerity, this thread is not about checking out the product. If you'd like to pm or email me about that, that would be great. But within this context, I'd just like to hear about how people search and what tools they currently use.

Thanks,
    Ben

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Relying on Popshops search is a BIG mistake.

The majority of merchants that I heavily promote who are on PS only have a portion of their product lines available through PS. It seems that if I first search for a type of product or specific product on PS and then look through any of several merchant sites, I will find available products that did not show up on PS.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Atma View Post
    How do people search for products and affiliate across multiple affiliate networks?

If you have time and interest in a private chat, Deborah, I'd also like to pick your brain
    My contact info is in my signature If you have Skype I'm affiliateabcs there.

As far as how people search for products, I'm thinking they mostly still use G or other search engines to find merchants, then go for the products from there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I, too, took a brief look at your site. (Also got the "clue" from your handle. )

Main problem I see with your meta search is also finding the "right" merchant with whom to consider joining. Finding a merchant with a product is easy. Period. Researching that merchant and considering the merchant/netowrk combination is the time consuming part. Evaluating the pros and cons of a particular merchant is important to being successful in this business. For the last several years I've been earning a small, but adequate, income from less that 100 affiliations (with less than two dozen providing 90% of our activity). I (personally) consider it a real pain to go through the evaluation process for a new/different merchant. (Consider all that I just said without reference to either of our own merchant programs. I've only been a merchant for a little more than a year. )

On another note: A little over two years ago we had a "product consolidation' product close to beta testing. It would have competed, but on a different level, with PopShops, Golden Can, etc. However, as we became familiar with the monetary logistics, we decided to shelve it and stick with what has proven to earn money - with much less hassle (as in customer service and hiring an employee or two ).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    However, as we became familiar with the monetary logistics, we decided to shelve it.
    Similar story to tell here. In 2003 our business started out offering a 3rd party dynamic feed script (our current Web Service Datafeed Client), introduced to the Affiliate industry as "Dynamic Web Source". We quickly realized, though, that there were many challenges, and it was a tough sell to get either Affiliates or merchants to pay for the service. So we changed direction and integrated the feed script into a free, subscription-based tool offering as part of the proprietary tracking software that became AvantLink.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread