ABW Ambassador
    Watch Out for these Type of Promotions....
    If you get emails from affiliate managers that have a promotion like I got from Chadwicks like this:

Code:
    Get 40% off your first order when you sign-up to receive emails from CHADWICKS!
    This means that they want the customer to sign up to their promotion email so the customer will have no need to use affiliates websites anymore and instead they can go directly to the merchant to get all the latest promotions.

I think they are very cheeky to put this in affiliates emails and expect us to promote this. but I guess new affiliates would not realize and they are the ones this affiliate manager is trying to trick.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

There are a lot of merchants who have this stuff on their site anyway. To them Affiliates=Free AdWords.

Yeah, I won't name names, but I encountered this myself with a program just the other day when I was searching for links to add to my promotional database. I probably had even copied the link before I realized this was only going to help them get traffic, not sales for me.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    There are a lot of merchants who have this stuff on their site anyway. To them Affiliates=Free AdWords.
    If it is done *right* then affiliates would benefit from the cookie set, but many do this wrong and cut the affiliate out.

Glinted is correct that a banner or ad shouldn't send an affiliate click to a newsletter sign up page unless it is a lead program (like Nature Hills used to do, I don't know if they still do.)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

even so, from my personal perspective, if it doesn't go to a product, it's not useful to me. setting the cookie is nice, but how long until another affiliate takes it? better than nothing, true, but I don't like the notion of sending a visitor to a merchant website without the intent of making a sale.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    even so, from my personal perspective, if it doesn't go to a product, it's not useful to me. setting the cookie is nice, but how long until another affiliate takes it? better than nothing, true, but I don't like the notion of sending a visitor to a merchant website without the intent of making a sale.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. If you send to merchant site through a product link, and the merchant site tries to get shopper to sign up for newsletter to get immediate discount, *that* can benefit the affiliate by helping close the sale. Problems happen when merchant washes affiliate cookie through that process. Some do, but many don't.

I said above I don't advocate links that go to a newsletter sign up page directly.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread