Looks like they are finally going to start paying on Buy it Now.
    quote:
    eBay is very pleased to announce the launch of a new offer in the Commission Junction Affiliate Program. Beginning January 7, 2003, publishers are compensated for driving "Buy-It-Now" activity. This means that when a user clicks through an eBay link on your site directly to eBay and purchases an item via Buy-It-Now within 30 days of click-through, a commission will be generated for that action. In this instance, you would be paid a minimum of $.05 per Buy It Now action, up to $.09 per action along the same volume tiers as our Bid commissions.

Also, because the Buy-It-Now action is now tracking, it will confirm a new registration. Therefore, if a customer clicks through your link, registers as a new eBay user, and makes a purchase with the Buy-It-Now feature within 30 days of registration, the registration will be considered "active".

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

ABW Ambassador
    LOL ...beat me to it...
    Looks like someone at eBay is starting to come around
    Now, why can't this be retroactive

Supras | Celicas

Well I'm very glad to hear that. I wish they'd do something retroactively, though. I think I'm going to get hit with a bunch of reversals, because a lot of the Christmas traffic I sent them probably used Buy-It-Now.

Anyway, it's nice to at least see something happen after complaining about it.

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

ABW Ambassador
    Good move. Anybody seeing any tranactions from them today, maybe the posting is behind? I usually get about 30 nickel bids and 5 registrations a day and so far nothing at all and its almost noon.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

They make it sound like it's a new exciting offer when it was actually a MAJOR flaw in their original system. We've been sending them users who register and actively participate in their system and had not gotten compensated.

I had heard they were going to compensate for buy it now but I thought they were going to be providing new commission buckets based on the selling price. I guess that's not true.

ABW Ambassador
    It is like a slap in the face that they strategically delayed this until after Christmas.

Any day now they are going to start reversing transactions after we drove new user signups, who then used "buy-it-now" to get it there in time for Christmas.

quote:
    It is like a slap in the face that they strategically delayed this until after Christmas.

I think it’s more of a case of ebay wanting to get away with it for as long as they could. Be it just after Christmas or just after Arbor Day. They knew that they were getting qualified leads free and wanted to ride the gravy train until it finally derailed. It was only due to affiliate “whining” that made them do the right thing. As far as I know, they are still riding the new seller train. Or does anyone know different. If someone registers with ebay through one of our links and promptly lists items up for sale, do they pay?

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Good move. Anybody seeing any tranactions from them today...

Yes, I got one $0.05 "Buy it now" tody.
    Hopefully, the move can decrease the reverse/extend rate as well.

I'm seeing one nickel sale for today, and I haven't had a lead in a couple days. This has been my longest drought in months. Good thing I had a sale of almost $500 from Allposters the other day to make up for it

Agreed, this is very disturbing, because it is an admission that eBay did not pay us for registered users who used the Buy it Now feature as their first action. I think that eBay should do a "make good", based on the percentage of users that use the "buy it now" feature as their first action, and give us credit for that percentage of reversals.

Who knows what else is wrong with their program too. Although I have an e-mail that states that eBay would pay for a Canadian user who registered via my links, based on the eBay.ca rep's statements, some redirection might have simply pushed that new eBay user to the eBay.ca site, meaning that they never "registered" via eBay.com, meaning that we didn't get paid for this type of lead either.

As a site with almost 40% Canadian users, this is very troubling.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

I am now seeing a few buy it nows showing up in today's reports. Makes we wonder how many valid leads will be reversed from the last few months!

Nice of them to send out that email and then start reversing Leads from the end of December, when 30 days haven't even gone by. I thought they said they fixed the problem with duplications.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

NewcastleB wrote:
    quote:
    If someone registers with ebay through one of our links and promptly lists items up for sale, do they pay?

I would say no, considering they haven't been paying for Buy It Now sales up to this point.

I guess listing something for sale on eBay doesn't qualify as a "Lead".

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

How many buy it now's are people seeing register as compared to regular bids.
    Interestingly enough for one my sites on January 8th I only have twice as many bids as buy it nows. Is this typical what sort of ratios are others seeing?

quote:
    Originally posted by firstmark:
    How many buy it now's are people seeing register as compared to regular bids.?

25 bids today, one "buy it now".

I've had 42 bids today, of which 6 were Buy It Now. Really makes one wonder how many freebies we've been sending to eBay the last few months because they so carefully worded their terms to include only "bid" and neglected to say a Buy It Now is not considered a bid.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador
    It will take 100 people to "buy it now" to make up for just one $5.00 reversal.

$5.00 for 100 (one hundred) sales sound like a deal?

[understatement] What a complete joke! [/understatement]

Wouldn't it be logical to pay more than the normal per bid comission for a buy it now?
    If minimum listing fees are 25 cents ebay could pay 20 cents for a buy it now or more and still make money from the listing fee alone and the comission on the sale.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread