Google Accused of Favoritism
    I think we'll be seeing more and more of this type of article if Google keeps doing what it is doing.

Rivals Say Google Plays Favorites - WSJ.com
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I see where they have a Google Travel Search site planned for 2011.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

So they're giving prominent placement for their own products or services on their own website?

I don't see what the problem is.
    Last edited by davidh; December 13th, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    So they're giving prominent placement for their own products or services on their own website?

I know you don't David.
    leeann

Nothing wrong with it on paper. They will only suffer if they fail to provide a good user experience. Folks will vote with their browsers, if they know how
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I see the problem. When I use Google I expect them to give me the most accurate results. If instead they are trying to feed their own services down my throat then its time to move onto a new search engine.

I think if you check this out you might get some differant views.

Web search engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

was purada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Nothing wrong with it on paper. They will only suffer if they fail to provide a good user experience. Folks will vote with their browsers, if they know how
    This.

In theory, its their product so they can do what they please.

But, if they push their own products ahead of others that may be superior, it is likely to drive consumers away.

Definitely walking a tight line for sure. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post

Of course not. My investigators have found out DAVID IS GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!

This all seems (as has been pointed out in other threads) to be in the area of antitrust.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post

This all seems (as has been pointed out in other threads) to be in the area of antitrust.
    It might. And I'm sure someone will bring suit and we'll find out. No shortage of people willing to sue in this world.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Don't just blame Google! Search out the keyword shopping in Bing, Yahoo and Google. They are all doing the same!

I dare anybody who has a problem with this to go into their robots.txt files and exclude googlebot. Go ahead.

Quitcher*****in' LOL
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

You can definitely make a point that google can do anything they want on the google website... it IS their own property, and we are all free users.

However their success and appeal came from independent and clutter-free search results. And there were companies willing to pay for ad placement on that platform (not the google preferred-results version).

Maybe this is precisely a new strategy - leverage their own search results for monetization.

Perhaps they realized commission income will compensate for lost ad revenue - let's face it, most companies won't be keen on placing ads when google continues to place their own services first.

With the recent surge in activity, this all seems deliberate & calculated. Only time will tell what it means for the search engine.

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    Don't just blame Google! Search out the keyword shopping in Bing, Yahoo and Google. They are all doing the same!
    Agreed. I think, though, that Google is catching most of the heat because they are by far and away the most popular search site on the internet and because they've launched so many competing products in so many different areas, just like the article said.

I'm really curious to see how their latest launch- Google Latitude- does against other locational based services like 4SQ, Facebook Places, Gowalla, etc.

Personally, I agree with Chris D in that I expect my searches to contain the most accurate results. If I ever feel that Google is going overboard, I won't hesitate to change my preferences. Just my two cents...

"I dare anybody who has a problem with this to go into their robots.txt files and exclude googlebot. Go ahead."
    This could soon mean NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    "I dare anybody who has a problem with this to go into their robots.txt files and exclude googlebot. Go ahead."
    This could soon mean NOTHING!
    It wouldn't have any effect on my traffic. So for me, it already means nothing.
    Last edited by leeann; December 13th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-AvantLink View Post
    ...If I ever feel that Google is going overboard, I won't hesitate to change my preferences. Just my two cents...
    I agree with Chad and Chris D, however, it is tough to ignore the fact that Google claims such a large percentage of online search queries. This is especially true for the people who get a majority of their search engine traffic from Google.

I for one, see these articles as a kind reminder to NOT put all your eggs in one basket; and make sure you diversify your traffic sources.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread