Cloud9 PopUp Form - No Hidden Field For Aff ID - Will It Track Referral?
    Someone correct me for thinking that the signup form, the one that pops up at Cloud 9 Living upon arriving from a click on a banner ad on my site, WON'T TRACK my affiliate ID for the customer that I've sent their way when that customer - instead of shopping then and there - instead submits an email so he/she can "get the extra special deals and/or coupon(s)".

Here's what I see when I view the source code for the pop up. I don't see a hidden field with my affiliate ID. Hmmmmmm . . .

Code:

Get Exclusive Offers and More

Join the Cloud 9 Living newsletter to receive exclusive member only offers and discounts and be notified about exciting new experiences and Cloud 9 news!

Last edited by BeepBeep; December 13th, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

Argh . . I'm unable to figure out how to display the text of the code without . . the code . . . acting out . . so to speak. I've tried to /* and it out. I've tried [code], [noparse]

My basic question is whether the email signup effectively "trounces" the referral from my site.

If someone "takes the bait" and signs up - can anyone tell if the way things are set up - if there's any attempt to "track any new business to me"?

Thanks. And sorry for screwing up the code post.

Help . . (Not yet getting the hang of it. )
    Last edited by BeepBeep; December 13th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Why not try contacting the AM and asking if affiliate cookies are honored?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

rematt, it's an idea worth considering but I'm thinking along the lines that "the answer is in the code/script" itself. I would prefer learning how to "suss this out" for myself . . with a bit of tech support.

Am I wrong that a form would need a "hidden field" to capture and pass an affiliates ID?

If you look at the markup behing the code box (above) there doesn't appear to be a capture mechanism/process.

I'm just beginning as an affiliate and it's my wish to better understand how an affiliate's "contribution" is tracked, thwarted, overwritten, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep View Post
    I'm just beginning as an affiliate and it's my wish to better understand how an affiliate's "contribution" is tracked, thwarted, overwritten, etc.
    When the visitor is sent to the merchant's site from an affiliate link, the affiliates tracking cookie is set. Regardless of what the potential customer does once they reach the merchant's site, unless they return through another affiliate link, your cookie should remain intact as long as the merchant doesn't overwrite your cookie in some way.

The site visitor signing up for a newsletter shouldn't negate your tracking cookie and there is no reason that a merchant should set an additional affiliate cookie when the visitor signs up for a newsletter. When/if the visitor returns to the merchant's site, your cookie will still be there to credit you with the sale as long as the sale is made within the merchant's cookie duration, the prospect hasn't removed their cookies and they return from the same system (it holds the cookie) that they used to initiate contact .

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep View Post
    Am I wrong that a form would need a "hidden field" to capture and pass an affiliates ID?
    Again, your cookie that was set on the prospect's system when they first visited the merchant's site is all that's required to properly credit the sale.

The only way to accurately surmise that the merchant is crediting your sales properly is to make a test purchase and in this case sign up for the newsletter. And even that isn't necessarily definitive. Honest merchants will honor your cookie regardless of any additional marketing that was necessary to close the sale as long as you're the last cookie standing. Dishonest merchnats will find any number of ways to cheat you.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

... of course I did neglect to mention an insidious practice that some merchants use know as de-duping. But don't get me started on that one.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; December 13th, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Hi Jon.

Thanks rematt, very much.

Forgive me for this, as I do not wish to "start you up" , but I just searched ABW for "re-duping" and "reduping" and the search didn't return any results. Has the topic been discussed here using other words or acronyms?

IMHO, an "honest mechant" would match my Aff ID to the visitor's submitted email/other submitted info, to add a layer of "appreciative certainty", so that should the visitor return the next day or week, after clearing their cookies, the new customer would still track to me as the sales lead providers . . unless there's an entirely new cookie (not from the agencies that love to overwrite cookies . . anothing thing I'm learning about).

Ahhhh . . an ah-ha moment. Is ^THAT^ what you are referring to? The entities that will overwrite cookies by whatever means possible? Grrrrrrrr . . . Oh, frack, no. I just looked again and you said re-duping is something merchants, not ourside agencies, do.
    Last edited by BeepBeep; December 14th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.

It is de-duping, not re-duping.

BeepBeep, here's a thread from over a year ago that discusses the practice: Is overwriting of affiliate cookies by non-affiliate channels a legitimate tactic?

But I am in no way suggesting that Cloud9 is engaging in this practice. I go back to my first post in this thread. Talk to the AM to get a clear understanding of their tracking and monitor your traffic and conversions.

-rematt

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread