SAS Raw Clicks Question
    Hi,

Over the past couple of days I have noticed something rather strange, in my "daily stats" I see about 15 clicks for the day (clicks per IP), then I switch to raw clicks view and it's something close to 200 raw clicks.
    I have recently started using link cloaking and all this has started when this was implemented. Do any of you experience something similar? And will this hurt me as an affiliate, from a merchants point of view?

I've checked the IP, and it looks like most of the clicks are coming from a googlebot, but I didn't know that the bots actually caused clicks, is that accurate?

I've attached some screen shots for you to look at.

Thank you for your opinions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If its from googlebot, you need to nofollow the links and definitely exclude the page where you redirect (if you redirect). I don't think G likes following links like this, and they eventually will just stop visiting all links on your site.

The nofollow tag is intended to be used for untrusted links. Read what MattCutts says about that here: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/quick-...t-on-nofollow/
    It is not a good idea to nofollow all your affiliate links, it is better to look at your access logs and see what spiders are causing the clicks so you can decide to block them or put up with the aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    It is not a good idea to nofollow all your affiliate links
    So you think Google doesn't mind following billions of paid SAS, CJ, LS, etc affiliate links?

A little bit of Googling and you can find this:

Does Google consider affiliate links as "paid links"? - Webmaster Central Help

Exclude your redirect file in your robots file. This will keep Google and legit bots from following your affiliate links and causing false clicks.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; December 16th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.

No, Google doesn't mind following billions of links. It is what they do.

Eric Enge interviews Matt Cutts

Eric Enge: If Googlebot sees an affiliate link out there, does it treat that link as an endorsement or an ad?"

Matt Cutts: Typically, we want to handle those sorts of links appropriately. A lot of the time, that means that the link is essentially driving people for money, so we usually would not count those as an endorsement.
    If its as simple as adding 20 or so characters to your template, I would do it. Just my $0.02.

I think this is getting off the OP's question of invalid clicks.

I had the same thing at first until I blocked my redirect page in my robots file. This kept 99% of the bots out. Then, I used a spider blocking script that someone shared on here that then caught 99% of the rouge spiders who still went on that page. Now, I get almost 0 invalid 'clicks' from bots.

To my knowledge, unless you do this, bots will follow your links and could trigger invalid clicks. Not 100% sure if merchants will care or not. I believe they won't care but someone else can probably better answer that.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread