Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Client wants 100% comm OPM to do it all
    Hi, I just got onto this forum as I'm trying to find an answer to my problem. My client is launching a customized product website selling a single high ticket item. From what I've seen it's a very unique, strong product and should make quite a splash. My problem is that the client wants to only deal with the product and do 0% of anything that even remotely resembles marketing. I don't have the knowledge or experience to do it for him, and a quick look at the OPM forums seems to show that they are primarily fee based. The client wants to pay commission only but is willing to contribute just under 50% of the total sale price to affiliate commission, etc. Is there such a thing as an OPM that works on a commission only basis? Mods: please delete this post if this question violates any forum regulations. Thanks.

client wants to only deal with the product and do 0% of anything that even remotely resembles marketing.
    I'm sure there are thousands of people praying (preying?) to find a merchant like this to work with. Reputable OPMs charge fees because they deliver services that are of value to the merchant. Did this merchant put up a site on blogspot - or did they see the value in having a site done right on their own domain?

Thanks for your reply. No, it's a real site with all the trimmings. He is a stubborn guy and he is not about to change his mind.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sounds like you should be working with CPA networks that would run your offer to their affiliates. ABestWeb is not necessarily a CPA forum so google it and see if you can find someone to run it.

This is telling of my level of sophistication in this market. I thought CPA was my accountant!

I'll check that out ASAP. Thanks for the information. I appreciate your assistance!

http and a telephoto
    There are a lot of product based merchants that aren't good for CPA that still want OPMs to work on percentage only. There is a lot that goes into setting up a program before it can launch, and lag time before it is profitable. Unless he has a partner in the company that wants to work on the marketing he needs to pay someone to do it.

Marketing isn't free, OPMs are marketers with expertise. He needs to see it as paying a consultant that knows what they are doing.

If this is a product that is a good fit for a CPA network, there will still be costs involved (creatives and landing pages at the very least, and probably a hefty deposit).
    Last edited by loxly; December 14th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you very much for the valuable info. I've known this client for a while and know that he had an unfortunate incident with his brick and mortar store that makes it 100% impossible for me to convince him into shelling out one cent in advance. He hired three outside salespeople, $50K/year, car, expenses + 7% commission. After four months he fired all three of them. The total sales they had brought in hadn't even reached $1,000. So he hired three commission only (you don't sell you don't eat) salespeople, paid them 18% straight up, and cleaned up. He has the website 99% ready, so the creative is no prob. The $ up front + even the slightest inkling of having him involved in physically doing any marketing work whatsoever... now that is the impossibility.

The $ up front + even the slightest inkling of having him involved in physically doing any marketing work whatsoever... now that is the impossibility.
    If he doesn't do it, his competitors will. That's the bottom line.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The problem is he doesn't have any competition... yet anyway. He invented this thing and I have to admit it's pretty awesome. Patent pending, etc.

I would recommend calling some of the OPMs and giving them more details. If they see the same value in that you do, one might be willing to do commission only.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just a minor observation. The website is 99% ready? That means it hasn't been tested or optimized for traffic yet. My suggestion would be to test, test and retest the site for the next 3-6 months before considering any type of affiliate offer. That's what the CPA networks will say as well.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

I appreciate both of your valuable comments and thank you for them. I just wanted to mention that IMHO this is not a "garden variety" sort of product that requires a pitch that has been carefully "spiked" and "massaged". This is something that is 100% unique, nothing quite like this has ever been accomplished before, and it is a product which an inordinate number of webmasters "should" be drooling over. I'm no stranger to A/B, Taguchi, et al. but I don't believe that undergoing months of testing to determine that the subhead should be 2 pixels to the left is going to accomplish much of anything in this particular case. I think that finding the right OPM who shares the vision and can see the potential is going to be the key to making this product launch a success.

...client is launching a customized product website selling a single high ticket item...
    ...nothing quite like this has ever been accomplished before, and it is a product which an inordinate number of webmasters "should" be drooling over...
    So, is this a tangible product? Or is it a "process" or software or training type of product? It is the deliverable a file, an eBook, or??? That could make a difference in who might be interested and the approach needed to begin the process. A bit more explanation (without giving away the farm) might be needed to attract the appropriate responses.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for understanding that I have to secure Non-Disclosures before discussing any details. What I can tell you is that this is a single purchase which buys one year of service. It's 100% hands-off for the webmasters. The webmasters specify what they want and my client does everything. The website operators just sit back and enjoy the ride. If they play their cards right it has the potential to increase their site's income by ridiculously high amounts. I'm really limited as to how much more I can divulge other than tell you that I've been in the online content provision business since the late '90s and I've never seen (or actually imagined) anything quite like this. It's pretty wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Halfcalf View Post
    I appreciate both of your valuable comments and thank you for them. I just wanted to mention that IMHO this is not a "garden variety" sort of product that requires a pitch that has been carefully "spiked" and "massaged". This is something that is 100% unique, nothing quite like this has ever been accomplished before, and it is a product which an inordinate number of webmasters "should" be drooling over. I'm no stranger to A/B, Taguchi, et al. but I don't believe that undergoing months of testing to determine that the subhead should be 2 pixels to the left is going to accomplish much of anything in this particular case. I think that finding the right OPM who shares the vision and can see the potential is going to be the key to making this product launch a success.
    The point is, you need to make sure the website converts before any OPM or affiliates enter the picture. If we don't have proof that it converts, it would be a waste of time for everyone, no matter how cool the concept is.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

In the words of the immortal Tommy Boy, "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

In this case, too many OPM's and affiliates have taken the butcher's word for it, so we need to see proof that we will actually earn commissions before taking the risk.
    Greg Hoffman

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Greg nailed it! I won't touch a program if you can't tell me you monthly revenue and conversion.

The website operators just sit back and enjoy the ride. If they play their cards right it has the potential to increase their site's income by ridiculously high amounts.
    Enjoy the ride [to riches] - ridiculously high amounts, eh? Wow. Cool! WTG!

Why are you looking to promote this and create a lot of competitors? If this really does what you say - you should just apply it to your own sites and retire "fat, happy and wealthy."

A lot of people here have read the Magic Bullet Thread. Have you??????????
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Why are you looking to promote this and create a lot of competitors? If this really does what you say - you should just apply it to your own sites and retire "fat, happy and wealthy."
    Er... the client already has. He can't pull in any more money from Google without setting off every alarm bell in Mountain View. This is a way to get an income stream with smaller amounts from many more sources. You know what happens to the ones who put all their eggs into one Google Basket!

And talking about eggs, looks like some of you guys are too busy doing the what came first the chicken or the egg: You ask the client to do all the work and then hire and pay you to do the work once it's been essentially done... all in the "hope" of expansion. That might work well with some people out there but with my client this is a complete non-starter. He's in his 50s and has seen more proposal pitches than I've seen cups of coffee. However, I do appreciate your participation in my query.

http and a telephoto
    You ask the client to do all the work and then hire and pay you to do the work once it's been essentially done... all in the "hope" of expansion.
    The client/website/merchant needs to prove to affiliates that their product sells *before* affiliates give them real estate on their websites. Any good OPM or AM knows that.

Good luck with your program.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    The client/website/merchant needs to prove to affiliates that their product sells *before* affiliates give them real estate on their websites. Any good OPM or AM knows that.

Good luck with your program.
    Thank you for your reply and the good wishes. I guess I'm going to have to find a "bad OPM" and make them rich then!

Quote Originally Posted by Halfcalf View Post
    Thank you for your reply and the good wishes. I guess I'm going to have to find a "bad OPM" and make them rich then!
    I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a "bad OPM", making them rich is another story. I'm really curious how you plan on attracting "good" affiliates to promote an unproven commodity? You see, contrary to uninformed belief, affiliate marketing isn't' intended to be the "only" form of marketing for a product, it should be supplemental and in order to attract "quality" affiliates (I emphasize quality, because "bad affiliates" won't do you much good) you need to have a track record.

Now I understand that your client has a "very unique, strong product that should make quite a splash", but so did the other 2 million failures last month. If all it took were a dream, I'd be kickin' butt in the NBA.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Well, it looks as if some people have been hawking tchotchkes and knicknacks a bit too long and they've lost some perspective on what it is to deal with items that actually have a real underlying demand, not ones that have to be sold by pushing, cajoling and "...if you reply within the next 10 minutes you will receive...". Therefore, with the maximum humility, appreciation and thanks, I'm outta here. I'm off to the "bad OPM" search for my client! Bye !

You are basically asking others to do something for you without any true assurance that they'll ever get compensated for their efforts.

If you yourself don't have enough faith and confidence to put your money where your mouth is, then how can you expect any reasonably intelligent person to have any faith or confidence in your offerings.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Not my money: My client's. Anyway, thanks again for everything and over and OUT! Bye! Adios! Have fun doing whatever you're doing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast