Buy.com website design
    Hi, I'm now integrating products from Buy.com, and am comparing them to Amazon, which I have been using a lot recently. I'm sure a large part of affiliate success is the quality of the merchant's site, not just the terms.

Thus, when I sought the page for an item I promote, I was horrified at the fact that the product description was a big block of text, with no paragraph breaks or formatting. On Amazon, however, the page was very attractive and presentable.

Compare: amazon.com/Behringer-PODCASTUDIO-FIREWIRE-PodcasStudio-Firewire/dp/B000NJ0PK8

to: buy.com/prod/behringer-podcastudio-bundle-w-firewire-interface/q/loc/111/208294992.html

I'm not so naive as to think that a post here is going to get Buy to clean up the page, but I am calling it to your attention. Amazon's pages are focused, free of non-related ads and formatted in a way that leads you to trust them and buy.

Buy is cluttered, unfocused, and does not give the same impression. That being said, I'm wondering if the better terms, longer cookie aren't worth the exchange in page quality?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I agree with your comments about the unreadable text on the buy.com product page, but the overriding difference between the product offerings from these two merchants is the fact that Amazon's price is almost 10% less than buy.com's price.

Note - your buy.com url went to a different page, but the correct page can be found by searching the site for "behringer podcastudio bundle".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

True, in many cases. In musical instruments, there are a lot of MAP restrictions, where the manufacturer dictates the minimum price, so often the price is identical wherever you go, especially in a specialty where sales are through partners.

I'm just wishing that Amazon had a 14 day cookie. Buy also has higher commissions, but that's only worth something if you make the sale.

I'm also wondering if something I saw in one of these threads might not make an effective practice. Someone posted that consumers compare an average three sites before making a purchase. Perhaps, instead of promoting one site, each page should promote three? So that one of them goes through?

Anyone have experience on that?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha View Post
    Someone posted that consumers compare an average three sites before making a purchase. Perhaps, instead of promoting one site, each page should promote three? So that one of them goes through?

Anyone have experience on that?
    Yes, have experience and can tell you that this is a GREAT way to promote products Just don't go overboard with too many merchants - 3 to 5 would be ideal.

Thanks. Now let me nuance the question (can nuance be used as a verb?).

Should I give three links for the same product, EG: get it from Buycom here for $X, Amazon here for $X and Guitar center here for $X?

Or should I say, buy it from Buy.com here, and then below it have a link to search for more items at Amazon and at Guitar Center?

I would personally do the 1st option, and more information you can give from each merchant, the better. For example, a pic from each merchant, the price, the availability, the shipping cost, etc. The more information you can provide your visitors, the better chance you have of them clicking through to buy.

So I can create a spreadsheet for each product with three dealers and their prices, after the product description. Sounds good, thanks.

Once upon a time I did that, and didn't make many sales. I'm thinking now it was because the merchants had 800 numbers. I can definitely use Buy and Amazon, and I'll have to think about the third. Is there another recommended merchant, 800-free, with a aff friendly program out there, with lots of musical instruments?

One other point I'm wondering about: If I'm posting three sellers, I'm thinking that the links should open in new windows. That way, they still are on the site if they want to check out the other links.

Any experience on the advantages of aff links opening a new window vs. staying in the same window? Are popup blockers a big problem with that?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread