VP of Business Development
    MLM and Affiliates
    Apart from the timing question (my vote leans towards delaying and getting things right the first time - it's the old "one time to make a first impression" thing), I'm curious about mashing MLM and affiliates programs together.

Veema is the only true MLM around that I know has tried this and their forum is DOA.

Yes, I'm fishing for opinions. I work with a MLM looking to move into the affiliate space.

Moderator Note: Split out this discussion to its own Thread
    These posts were split off from another discussion at http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138817
    Last edited by 2busy; December 16th, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Posts moved to thier own thread

I'm curious about mashing MLM and affiliates programs together.
    MLM is a world away from affiliate marketing and they don't mix well. The idea behind MLM is not to sell the product but to get others to think they can. It cannot sustain the weight.

VP of Business Development
    That's a fair response 2busy, although MLM is now in it's 5th decade with many multi-billion dollar companies, so it seems to be sustaining some of its weight.

Overall, I like the affiliate model very much, which is why our company is exploring the possibilities.

Here's a question: Are there any statistics for the affiliate industry which would tell us how many affiliates out of 100 would make $1000+ per year?

Within MLM it's <1%

Are the numbers better for Affiliate?

Thanks for the dialog - it's very helpful!

That number would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2% in the affiliate world.

This discussion should probably be split off to another thread though lol. Where's the "Mosh Pit" subforum?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    MLM is a world away from affiliate marketing and they don't mix well. The idea behind MLM is not to sell the product but to get others to think they can. It cannot sustain the weight.
    Excellent summary.
    Keep in mind that there are no fees to get involved with affiliate marketing [other than the type of computer & software you use/own, the type of hosting, your domain[s] ]; MLM often requires up front fees.
    MLM often resembles a pyramid type of scheme because you have to recruit others into the deal. The few up top will make the lion's share of the money.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    MLM and Affiliate Marketing couldn't be more different, and I have a really difficult time seeing how you could mesh them together short of putting out a completely different site/brand name for affiliates to sell your product.

I just know as an affiliate I'd never send any of my traffic to a typical MLM website - regardless of how much you tried to pay me.

MLM is all about recruiting people and motivation. MLM is a very "people oriented" business.

Affiliate marketing, by contrast, is all about creating value for the visitor to your website. The value will, hopefully, lead to either a person buying something via an affiliate link or clicking on a Google Adsense link or taking some other action that the affiliate deems desirable (such as signing up for a newsletter, subscribing to a feed, etc...).

Additionally, affiliate marketing involves no contact with real people whatsoever. The "people" are the website visitors, and a web site visitor is a very different creature than someone you meet in their home while trying to sell the MLM plan and business opportunity.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread