How do I increase my conversion ratio?
    I'm sure there are a zillion posts about this topic (since it's what we strive for), so please feel free to move if need be.
    Ok, so I have a niche site, promoting only products related to my site topic, I have strong content (add new content as often as I can) with a good mixture of keywords (long tail as well), I have plenty of backlinks, I show up on google for plenty of different terms, good page rank, decent traffic coming in, and I have had this site live for about 1.5 years.
    My question is, since google and other SEs crawl my site on a regular basis and I'm being indexed, how do I get the conversions? I mean, this year I've only had about a 0.5% conversion rate (which has earned me about $150). I don't know what more I can do aside from breaking down the doors of my visitors forcing them to buy.
    How long does it generally take to get a consistent conversion rate? I'm wracking my brain on this and wondering why I'm doing it at all to begin with.

Online Marketing Consultant
    It could be a number of things.

Maybe your content stinks. Maybe you are not doing a good job at preselling the Merchants or the products. Maybe you are sending them to the wrong merchants or merchants with the wrong price points. Maybe your design or color scheme isn't right for your audience. What are you testing is the first thing you should think about? What can you do better to presell the products? Maybe you shouldn't push products but push content and show products that make life easier for the end user.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What Rollerblader said and a strong emphasis on "the right merchant."

I would first try switching out links to a different merchant (possibly on a different network) and see the results you get. It's sometimes as easy as that. I've seen overnight sales when I changed merchant links that weren't converting.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I hear you on switching the merchant, however; the merchant I am currently working with is #2 in my niche (#1 refuses to have an affiliate program), so going to a 4th tier merchant frightens me. I currently do not display the product prices, would you recommend placing the price points?

What kind of numbers do you consider "decent traffic coming in?" 5-50 per day? 50-100 per day? 100-500 per day? 500-1000 per day? >1000 per day?

The "wrong" merchant may need hundreds of visitors per day. The "right" merchant can earn you some ca$h with only a few per day.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What kind of numbers do you consider "decent traffic coming in?" 5-50 per day? 50-100 per day? 100-500 per day? 500-1000 per day? >1000 per day?

The "wrong" merchant may need hundreds of visitors per day. The "right" merchant can earn you some ca$h with only a few per day.
    Decent traffic for my site is about 750 average pageviews and about 250 unique visitors per day. Those numbers are on a normal day, yet increases when I post something fresh and informative.
    I don't consider the merchant I'm working with "wrong" considering they sell products that my site specializes in. Perhaps I just need to scrap the product descriptions the merchant gives and do a write up for each of the products (reviews)?

Quote Originally Posted by CluckCluck View Post
    I hear you on switching the merchant, however; the merchant I am currently working with is #2 in my niche (#1 refuses to have an affiliate program), so going to a 4th tier merchant frightens me. I currently do not display the product prices, would you recommend placing the price points?
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if they are the top or if they are absolutely unknown. What matters is how your traffic reacts to their site, images, colors, price points, brands, etc... Just because they are the big guy doesn't mean they are the right one for your traffic.

You may find better luck with smaller merchants as well that may decide to not work with trademark bidders, parasites, have separate tracking and separate cookies for coupon sites so you get credit for all your sales.

Merchant size doesn't matter for content sites. What matters is how your visitors react to their site and how well you can presell them.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Decent traffic for my site is about 750 average pageviews and about 250 unique visitors per day. Those numbers are on a normal day, yet increases when I post something fresh and informative.
    I don't consider the merchant I'm working with "wrong" considering they sell products that my site specializes in. Perhaps I just need to scrap the product descriptions the merchant gives and do a write up for each of the products (reviews)?
    Yup, you should have been writing your own descriptions from the beginning anyways. Unless it is prohibited by the Merchant. If it is then you should probably move on.

Yes, absolutely sounds like you've got decent traffic. I had to ask because some folks see 10 visitors a couple times a week and wonder why they can't make any money.

So...with that said...I would definitely try some A-B testing with different merchants. I've got to agree with what Rollerblader suggests. He has been around a long time and I have learned quite a few things from him over the years.

I find that working with smaller merchants fits "my" style and I can do quite well with them. Larger merchants are often "too well known" by visitors. Those visitors may know where to go to grab a coupon at the last minute; or remember they saw that merchant in their Ebates account - and abandon your site to buy elsewhere. There can be a LOT of distractions, so I do recommend [at least] testing other sources.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

With a conversion ratio that low, I would really wonder if your traffic is focused enough. Where are they in the sales funnel? What are they looking for? Where are they coming from?

If you're walking down the street saying "Buy this Star Wars LEGO set!" you'll get a considerably different response than if you have a booth selling Star Wars LEGO sets at a Star Wars conference. Online is no different. It's very difficult to sell to a general audience.

Traffic isn't a panacea. You want highly targeted traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Nearly all of my traffic comes from google (natural), so my target audience is searching for the products I'm providing (based on GA, AWstats, etc.). I'm rethinking my on page content and will be changing that all out, since I'm currently displaying the merchant product description, I feel that I'm not showing enough value and 'pre-sell'. I value all of your opinions and I thank you for all of your comments/suggestions.

...will be changing that all out...
    I might caution you about making complete changes all at once. I believe it better to make partial changes - then do some A-B testing. You don't want to do something "radical" that may kill that nice traffic.

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Is there a possibility that there actually are sales but you aren't getting credit for them. I can tell you first hand that I have more trouble with credit tracking with larger merchants then I do smaller ones.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I might caution you about making complete changes all at once. I believe it better to make partial changes - then do some A-B testing. You don't want to do something "radical" that may kill that nice traffic.
    I wasn't planning on doing radical changes, I was thinking more along the lines of content and call to action - on page optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshiner View Post
    Is there a possibility that there actually are sales but you aren't getting credit for them. I can tell you first hand that I have more trouble with credit tracking with larger merchants then I do smaller ones.
    To be honest, I have already had that issue with this merchant, but I was told that the customer used a gift card to make the purchase which resulted in zero commission.

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshiner View Post
    Yeah, how about that?

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    To be honest, I have already had that issue with this merchant, but I was told that the customer used a gift card to make the purchase which resulted in zero commission.
    But, that 0 commison is better than no sale atleast you know the site tracks. What about some leaks on "Merchant" site, does he have a big fat 1 800 on the top of his page, is there a phone tracking?

If there is a phone tracking, try to order something and see if they ask you for a tracking code.

I hope you do better soon, what do you promote anyway?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread