Isn't calling them merchants and us affiliates bestowing too much status on them? CJ switched to calling them advertisers a couple of years ago and I think it's more accurate, because that's all they are. Calling merchants 'advertisers' and 'affiliates' publishers is fairer.

It's only nomenclature, but would make a difference in negotiating terms and conditions. Using the word 'affiliates' makes us seem like low-lives dependant on these wonderful companies - and, because of the terminology used, I think that's how some of them treat us.

Yes, we are dependent on them, but they are also dependent on us, and advertiser/publisher might be a fairer way of describing the relationship.

What do other people think?

ABW Ambassador
    Then there is the terminology used by certain multi-tiered programs like Cognigen where they refer to upline and downline. Makes ya feel so dirty.

Master agent, sponsoring agent and agent is more to my liking for those who sell on the internet.

imho

Personally I find the CJ Advertiser/Publisher terminology confusing.

I publish - the merchant publishes.
    I advertise - the merchant advertises.

Merchant/Affiliate seems more logical to me.

Actually, they should be called, Venders. Cause vender means, seller, to sell.

Or choose one of the following, hawker, higgler, huckster, outcrier, packman, roadman
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

LOL I think 'tinkers' is too grand a term for some of them...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The thing is, in the non-Internet world, advertisers usually pay a fixed price to a publisher for advertising and take a gamble on whether it will pay off.

Most affiliate-merchant deals are success-based.

So I feel the need to keep using affiliate-merchant to recognise the special relationship involved.

I think Merchant/Affiliate is the right terminology for CPA and CPL programs.

For CPC and CPM programs the terminology would be Advertiser/Publisher.

Like Drewbert said. Advertisers pay a price with no gurantee they will make a profit from it. As for merchants they only pay when there has been a sale or a lead.

Think of Affiliate programs like the Guy at Circuit City who works on comission. Merchant provides the product. Affiliate tries to sell it.

ABW Ambassador
    They are merchants.

I actually think we get too caught up on what we are called. Depending on the network we're publishers, affiliates, partners, affiliate marketers etc. whatever we get called we do the same thing. I think affiliate marketer is the most accurate and encompasses everything else we're called, we market a merchant's goods or services to our site visitors.

At the end of the day. Does it matter what you're called?

As long as the cheque is coming in I don't really care if Linkshare/CJ calls me an Affiliate and Vibrantmedia, Rydium and Valueclick call me a publisher.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I hate, absolutely HATE, the terms "advertiser" and "publisher!"

It gives a complete misperception to what I do, to compare me to a newspaper or magazine.

"Publishers" are those things that put out non-sales articles in various media, and then hope they can cover their bills by filling the rest of the paper (or online version of the paper) with ADS. Ads which pay whether anything sells or not.

And "Advertisers" are those saps which pay for the ads, whether they sell anything or not.

I find it UNfair to call me something which refers to a type of business that gets paid even when they have a 0% CR. The use of the word "publisher" like saying affiliates don't have what it takes to positively influence conversions.

Affiliates/merchants are the best terms. Those terms let people know that we are not in the classified advertising business!

And, I think the term "affiliate" conveys more respect, not less. It takes MORE fortitude and savvy to be able to do business when the only way pay comes, if is something actually SELLS! To call us mere "publishers" denies this fact.

And I have no problems with the term "merchant." Merchants are people that have things to sell and are in the business of selling them. Well, they *are* that, saying so doesn't "bestow status" on them in my mind.

Personally I think it DOES matter what we're called. If a car became widely known as a "little tin can," it may not directly change how the car runs, but pretty soon sales would be affected. I think calling us "publishers" deprecates what we do, and very well could hurt Affiliates by giving the wrong impression!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Leader, you're an employee

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Leader, you're an employee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT!

There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey The Geek:
    I think Merchant/Affiliate is the right terminology for CPA and CPL programs.

For CPC and CPM programs the terminology would be Advertiser/Publisher.
    QUOTE]

Mikey, I agree. I have a seen a lot of our customers get confused about who is advertiser, who is advertising and who is getting commissions on sales. It can get complicated for other CPL programs where the affiliate integrates the forms and generates leads directly from his site.

Merchant: the one who owns the goods
    Affiliate: who brings the customers

This really workds well. For CPC, I really don't think it matters becuase its fairly clear most of the time. Its advertising.

vweb
    Email Marketing Choice: Find, Compare and Choose Email Marketing Solutions

It's a relationship not a label. Publisher or affiliate refers to the relationship we have with them not to what we are. Some of us are vendors, retailers, publishers, affiliates, etc but that may be only referring to each relationship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Affiliates/merchants are the best terms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they are.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Alternative name suggestions:

X:Y
    Apples:Oranges
    Dogs:Cats
    Innies:Outies
    AM:PM
    His:Hers
    0:1

And you know, the more I think about it, the term "network" really aggravates me. Where did they ever come up with that stupid idea?

Nitey-nite.

I prefer merchant/affiliate.

"paycheck" is the term that aggravates me the most. I haven't had a paycheck in over four years. I get COMMISSION checks in the mail almost every day, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I prefer merchant/affiliate.

"paycheck" is the term that aggravates me the most. I haven't had a paycheck in over four years. I get COMMISSION checks in the mail almost every day, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Frankly, I would call most of them crooks, the way them jump from own program to another, maybe "fleas", whenever you get an approval, they call you "partner", joke over, you get the sales for them, then find they are gone????????? We compete against TV, radio&lt; newspapers,flyers,that probably cost more to produce.We are SERFS. My nickles worth.
    JJ

ABW Ambassador

I like the terms merchant, publisher, and commission check best.

It works for me.

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merchant Consultant Team:
    Then there is the terminology used by certain multi-tiered programs like Cognigen where they refer to upline and downline. Makes ya feel so dirty.

Master agent, sponsoring agent and agent is more to my liking for those who sell on the internet.

imho <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike you're right.

I'm a National Trainer with Cognigen.

They've actually tried to move away from calling them upline/downline etc.

We even created a new presentation which targets MASTER AGENTS. We start them at a higher percentage commission and we don't even mention downline in the presentation at all. We want sales people, master affiliate marketers, that kind of thing.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    Personally I find the CJ Advertiser/Publisher terminology confusing.

I publish - the merchant publishes.
    I advertise - the merchant advertises.

Merchant/Affiliate seems more logical to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the UK origin of CJ is what made them whacko on terminology - but Radegast, from the UK, has disproved that. He's correctegast.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread