I have been experimenting with a few different layouts of datafeeds, and PHP vrs HTM pages created with webmerge. Was wandering if anyone out there would share their experiences as to which method works better for them.

A number of people have told me the best way to go is to use webmerge rather than PHP. I can make a PHP site and only use 30 Meg of disk space. If I use webmerge it came be as high as 500 meg.

Also, I have seen some site designs where there is a list of related products on a page with a description next to it, linking directly to the merchant from all links. The other type of site I have seen(also the method I use) is one where I have a list of related products as I explained above and then have my own "individual/detal page" with just that one product, and then a link to the merchant.

What are you experiences with these types of layouts? Which one works better for you?

I would only recommend webmerge for getting started. I have friends who aren't too savvy with PHP, so I tell them to make webmerge pages (one per product) leaving a PHP include statement in your template so you can control deals and promotions outside of the webmerge created pages. This means your template needs to be a .php document. When it comes down to it, you always need to use PHP if you want to work with datafeeds and remain competitive. Ideally you want to store all the data in mysql or oracle and use a server side language like PHP, ASP, or JSP to generate your pages. These generated pages can be .html as long as you run a daily crontab to generate them. In which case you may need two dedicated servers: one for html and one for generating html. There's a million ways to go about this. Just do what you're most comfortable with to get at least something up. Always consider the user and whether or not you're adding value to their online shopping experience. That's more important than how you do it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

That was my theory also. However, I only make $200 - $300 on average per month. I recently spoke with someone who also had this same philosophy. They startd to use webmerge after they where already using PHP. They make 6 times what I make and swear up and down it was because they use webmerge rather than dynamic pages.... That is why I posted this question, I found it quite odd and wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I don't think it makes a difference if you use PHP or webmerge. What it really comes down to is how long your establishment has been going, how many incoming links you have and how valuable your information is. I've been using PHP from the start and have a couple sites that aren't bringing in very much money, so I installed the same PHP code on my 8 year old site and it's making a killing. This is because Google respects the information on this site due to its establishment. I did this to tide me over while I build a solid site that actually stirs some real interest. You have to provide something useful enough to get return visitors. It's certainly not easy, but if you do it right you'll have something that's search engine proof. I just don't think webmerge allows for enough dynamic control. Of course if you combine information well enough, you can make a lot of money with webmerge. Just keep looking at the big sites out there and study what works.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread